Love the Elliptical

Options
Yesterday was the first time I ever used the elliptical. I did it for 30 minutes and was shocked at the amount of sweat and the amount of calories I burned in such s short time. Burned 360 calories in 30 minutes. Today I decided to bump it up to 1 hour. At the end, it said I burned about 740 calories and I was complete drenched. And best of all, no pain. Man I need one of these machines at home.

Replies

• busybee33
    busybee33 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    love mine as well! agreed!
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Isn't it amazing???
    I feel like I get almost twice the workout on that vs. the treadmill... It also kicks my butt twice as hard so I'm not surprised lol...
  • mkiesel33
    mkiesel33 Posts: 16
    Options
    I lo0ve ellipitcals too I use the ARCH my knees and back don't hurt at all afterwards.:smile:
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    The elliptical is by far my favorite thing at the gym! Wish I had one of my own! I am not a runner so when i do the treadmill I walk! The elliptical burns almost as many calories as it would running on a treadmill!
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical! I have flat feet and short legs...pretty much the opposite of a runner's body haha, so the elliptical works wonderfully for me as I have no leg or foot pain! And I too burn roughly 300 calories in a 30 minute workout.
  • chilipeppers
    chilipeppers Posts: 119
    Options
    my boyfriend just got one, so I am making use of it! it's always been my favorite thing at the gym!
  • becca_raine
    Options
    elliptical is basically the only thing i go on at the gym! besides the occasional treadmill hehehe. i love it! burns a lot of calories and doesn't kick your butt as hard but still has that great workout feeling!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Sears sells a lower end elliptical for around $500 (Nordic Track). I bought mine in 2008. In the latest (and last) round of weight loss, I lost almost 26 pounds from 11/10/2010 to 2/19/2011. I have since been doing P90X to add muscle and shed extra fat. The ellipitcal is good for burning off the fat, if you need to get down to a certain weight, but it will not tone you very well in the long run as a singular alternative. My elliptical has the ability to use the iFit cards, which are nice because you can use varying levels of workout programs (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced) to progressively take your workout up a notch so you don't plataeu with your workouts and the pace and resistance varies as you go.

Good luck with your future workouts! It is really nice to have an elliptical handy, especially if you have bum knees like me...very low impact with high caloire burns!!
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    Options
    i love my elliptical too!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    When I'm not using the treadmill for c25k or incline intervals, I am definitely throwing down on the elliptical.
    It used to be my ONLY cardio before I started c25k. It's still my favorite. Actually, I use it as a "break" from c25k.
    Elliptical = Rest Day. I <3 it.
  • CherryteaMT
    CherryteaMT Posts: 47
    Options
    two weeks ago i got on the elliptical at the gym for the first time ever, and now its my exercise of choice..i love it too
  • Enaz29
    Enaz29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love my elliptical too!
  • galaxysue
    galaxysue Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    the first time I went on the elliptical for 5 mins I nearly fell off at the end!!! now I can stay on comfortably for 1 hour, you get a great cardio workout and good calorie burn. Grown to LOVE it.
  • remaho80
    remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree! I LOVE mine!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical. They are seriously good value and I figured over a year the one I have is cheaper than joining a gym (and I can use it any time, looking like a tramp, wearing whatever...). I really recommend it as the one piece of home exercise equipment. I have very little cartilage and not much bone left in my right knee, and it's great to get a thorough workout without the impact of most machines.
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I want to get me an elliptical. Which one do you guys recommend? The bedroom i am putting it in has a low ceiling, so i won't be able to get one of the big ones that will make me tall. But i don't want to get one of the cheap small ones either. I want one that is decent, and at least has an 18" stride and is smooth on your feet & joints.
  • jlisah
    jlisah Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love it too! I don't have a lot of time to spend at the gym, so sometimes the elliptical is all I do, and I get a great workout. I was surprised to find that I can jog on it for 40 minutes. When I walk-jog around the lake, I can't seem to keep the jogging up for long at all.