Suggestions for Rewards for reaching Goals

Options
Ok...so I figured out my first short term goal and my first "long term" goal. Now I'm just trying to think of what I'll reward myself. I believe both goals are achievable and realistic. The short term goal is for about 6 weeks while the longer term one is set for 7 months.

Looking for suggestions. I'm not looking for anything outlandish, expensive and obviously food related (you know like a 'nice dinner,' ice cream, etc...). Thoughts?

SR

Replies

• beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    why can't you have these things right now?

the weight off and being healthier is my reward. i feel like its sends the wrong message that I'm only worthy of a nice dinner, ice cream if i lose weight. and i think thats the source of the problem. if we start "treating" ourselves today i believe it actually aids in helping lose the weight cause you are taking care of yourself.

i dunno just my two cents.
  • rachelg45
    rachelg45 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What about a new piece of clothing
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    When I hit my goal weight I bought 4k bicycle and a new wardrobe.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I planned a "one-derland" party at the local trampoline park when I hit under 200 pounds.
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Beamer- I understand what you are saying. I'm certainly not denying myself anything at the moment because I know that doesn't work. :) I am working on taking better care of myself as a whole - not just about how I eat. I just want to be able to think of something to do for myself or to ask my friends/family for when I achieved the goals along the way. It's not about denying myself but more about helping look forward and planning ahead - skills I've not really mastered. I tend to be to "instant gratification" focused. :)

Clothing is certainly a good idea! I've already gone down a pant size. :) I'm thinking that since one of my goals is to try and be under 300 by Gencon in August (I'm at 320 now) I was thinking of something con related.

Thank you all for responding! Means a lot! :)
  • Jennwa
    Jennwa Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have set a reward of a pedicure once I hit my first goal. I set monthly goals and go from there.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm not a salon goer type but I LOVE the idea of beauty and pampering related "rewards" like Jennwa's pedicure suggestion.

For my main big goal of getting to/under 199 lb (for the first time in 20 years), I bought myself a bunch of new makeup, including some new and/or nicer brands than I typically used, and a Lucite counter top organizer to keep it all in. To make it even more special I kept all of this stuff in a cabinet for several weeks until the scale hit 199. A year later, I still enjoy using the organizer & some of the stuff and I still remember why I treated myself to that!

Other rewards when I was starting out were fitness related items such as a nice jump rope, exercise pants, new sneakers, etc. I had a lot to lose, so I was doing that every 10 lb during the first six months or so.

Clothes are a fun reward to me too. Although as time goes on and you truly need smaller sizes, it's also kind of a necessity.

I have not really done this with regard to weight loss but an experience might also be fun, like a trip, class, etc. My husband & I usually opt for those things instead of typical gift items for holidays & special occasions but I think they would make great rewards. While I agree food related rewards are probably not the best idea I think there could be an exception - for example, let's say you really wanted to try French food and decided when you hit a certain weight or goal achievement, you would get all dolled up and treat yourself and a friend or mate to a lovely French dinner.

Have fun with it!
  • Sylvarose
    Options
    Jennwa, what an absolutely fantastic idea! I've never treated myself to a pedi or a mani!! Nor have I don't a spa day since my mother died. I love it! So if I can be 315 or less by my next doc appoint (mid-feb) I'm going to treat myself to a manicure! Thanks for the suggestion! If I'm under 300 by August then a facial or some other treatment!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I also do rewards for my weight loss!

I am on track to lose 100 pounds.

At 25 I... bought a new outfit

At 50 I... will get a massage (I am currently down 44.8, yay!)

At 75 I... will subscribe to Gwynnie Bee

At 100 I... will go shopping for more clothes and do some boudoir photos for my hubby
  • casg01
    casg01 Posts: 7
    Options
    I LOVE this idea too. I have always done rewards for weight loss and it keeps me super motivated. I just hit 10 lbs off so I am going to buy a new nail polish kit for me gel curing machine. At 20, I'm doing my favorite perfume and 25 a teeth whitening kit. Not only keeps me motivated but I am doing things that make me feel and look better at the same time : )
  • tineehaag
    tineehaag Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was thinking for me things like a fit bit or jawbone, sneakers, workout outfits, jogging stroller, gym bag , ear rings, purse, when I lose it all and down to a size 6 then a treadmill or elliptical machine for home. I turned 50 a few months ago and I have a 2 and 7 year old. I want to get in the best shape and health I can. I weigh 180. I need to get back to my wedding healthy weight and size. Around 140. So 40 lbs. 15 years ago I weighed 272 and had gastric bypass surgery and lost 130 pounds.
  • Sylvarose
    Options
    rbfdac - thank you for the idea of making goals for markers. I now have a list that I can put on the fridge and give to my therapist (who can help keep me on track). :) Casg01 teeth whitening...I never would have thought of that one! :)

tineehaag OMG just turned 50 and have a 2 and 7 year old! You go! I'm single and 47, to me you're an inspiration!

SR