HELP: Trying to get away from using artificial sweeteners. Need advice.

Options
2»

Replies

• intrepie
    intrepie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great ideas here! I just wanted to share my experience with cutting out sweeteners. Once I did, naturally sweet food seemed sweeter (like some ppl posted)! That really helped. I also found that if I had something with a sweetener (I bought a flavored water with it by accident) I had crazy headaches, nausea, and "restless leg" for hours after. On the bright side, it keeps me from having it ever again ;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I use cane sugar, honey, maple syrup or I choose foods naturally low in sugar. I don't add sweeteners to drinks.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes intrepie, things are sweeter now. I now eat yogurt totally plain whereas I used to add fruit or preserves to it..
    I like stevia but will also use small amounts of real sugar as well. You might need to try a few diff stevias out. I like Trader Joes brand and Stevia in the raw but not truvia. For an occasional splurge (or Cuba Libre) I buy Zevia cola (made w stevia)
  • Zhost
    Zhost Posts: 97
    Options
    Xylitol is poisonous for dogs and cats too I believe, but it's ok. Liquid sucralose I enjoy the most.
  • shellbabesmitchell
    Options
    try just going without ur taste buds will soon adjust
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't see any reason to further sweeten smoothies when there is fruit in them. For tea I use honey if I want it but I got used to drinking unsweetened tea pretty easily. and for coffee I just use a little bit of regular sugar. A little bit being the operative term of course.
  • robertgprather
    robertgprather Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try lemon.
    kaitcb92 wrote: »
    I am a (was..) a big fan of artificial sweeteners. Diet pop, splenda, Twin, etc. I always used them because of the 0 calories, but now I am wanting to get away from using them and start with something more natural. I don't like the idea of unknown health risks that have been circulating about the artificial stuff, and studies even show that despite having no calories, they still contribute to obesity.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can replace them with? I would mainly be using it in coffee, tea, smoothies, etc. as opposed to baking/cooking. I was looking into Stevia (although that was found to be not entirely good for you either), or honey (more natural but does have calories).

Thanks!
    kaitcb92 wrote: »
    I am a (was..) a big fan of artificial sweeteners. Diet pop, splenda, Twin, etc. I always used them because of the 0 calories, but now I am wanting to get away from using them and start with something more natural. I don't like the idea of unknown health risks that have been circulating about the artificial stuff, and studies even show that despite having no calories, they still contribute to obesity.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can replace them with? I would mainly be using it in coffee, tea, smoothies, etc. as opposed to baking/cooking. I was looking into Stevia (although that was found to be not entirely good for you either), or honey (more natural but does have calories).

Thanks!
    kimtab wrote: »
    I don't see any reason to further sweeten smoothies when there is fruit in them. For tea I use honey if I want it but I got used to drinking unsweetened tea pretty easily. and for coffee I just use a little bit of regular sugar. A little bit being the operative term of course.

• rach2196
    rach2196 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use fruit sugar much better it's in a green packet it's yummy