2»

Replies

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    patches212 wrote: »
    Banana dipped in hemp hearts. (as long as you actually like bananas.)
    The sugar in bananas will help replenish your glucose levels and the hemp hearts give you your protein. These two are so easy to digest your tummy and muscles will LOVE you!

After any sort of hard or HIIT workout this saves my life until I can have my proper meal.

Do you mean muslce glycogen stores?? If you were to view fructose as a sole food source and outside the context of a normal diet, it is a horrible carb source to restore muscle glycogen. Fructose is used by very few tissues and cells directly, and instead is primarily metabolized in the liver. Obviously in a normal diet fructose isn't the sole carb source, and muscle glycogen is restored over the normal course of feedings.

OP, why not make it so you are eating the majority of your calories after you workout? If this is when you are most hungry, it makes sense to have your largest meal then.
    Exactly. I wanted to say the same thing about fructose earlier in this thread but decided it wasn't worth it. Seriously, eating things like berries or a banana as a post workout meal is so worthless imo.

Yeah, just felt the need to say something. As I stated and you know, glycogen stores are replenished over the course of feeding. I just cringe when someone states that eating bananas and berries are great post-workout meals as a sole food source to replenish muscle glycogen.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana BEFORE I workout, since I basically roll out of bed and go to the gym. I don't feel great if I push myself on an empty stomach. After the workout, I'll do a decent breakfast. Oatmeal, veggie scramble, etc.
  • LysaK1980
    LysaK1980 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Keep the suggestions coming! I really appreciate it! Thanks, all!
  • Horsejumper1
    Horsejumper1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'll have a little something (half a banana or a little sports drink) before a workout IF it is going to be longer than 30 minutes or if it's first thing in the morning. Otherwise, we've got plenty of fuel stored already. Post workout needs to include some protein because muscles are primed to take it up and speed recovery. Chocolate milk is great. It has just the right balance of protein and carbs.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Light beer, and/or sliced turkey with guacamole (no bread)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    patches212 wrote: »
    Banana dipped in hemp hearts. (as long as you actually like bananas.)
    The sugar in bananas will help replenish your glucose levels and the hemp hearts give you your protein. These two are so easy to digest your tummy and muscles will LOVE you!

After any sort of hard or HIIT workout this saves my life until I can have my proper meal.

Do you mean muslce glycogen stores?? If you were to view fructose as a sole food source and outside the context of a normal diet, it is a horrible carb source to restore muscle glycogen. Fructose is used by very few tissues and cells directly, and instead is primarily metabolized in the liver. Obviously in a normal diet fructose isn't the sole carb source, and muscle glycogen is restored over the normal course of feedings.

OP, why not make it so you are eating the majority of your calories after you workout? If this is when you are most hungry, it makes sense to have your largest meal then.
    Exactly. I wanted to say the same thing about fructose earlier in this thread but decided it wasn't worth it. Seriously, eating things like berries or a banana as a post workout meal is so worthless imo.

Yeah, just felt the need to say something. As I stated and you know, glycogen stores are replenished over the course of feeding. I just cringe when someone states that eating bananas and berries are great post-workout meals as a sole food source to replenish muscle glycogen.

Along with that people seem to not realize how long it takes for nutrient uptake to occur post feeding. You'll hear people saying they eat prior to training or have a shake, a bar whatever it is, they go train and then feel the urgency to feed immediately post training when in reality they are still getting the nutrients from their pre-workout meal.

I blame the supplement companies and the publics lack of motivation to seek proper information.

Exactly. Nutrient uptake isn't a switch that turns on the minute you eat.
  • LysaK1980
    LysaK1980 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is all really helpful info! Thanks so much!