Options
1234568»

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    One of the most important keys to crockpot cooking is SEASONING. Not just salt; some salt of course, but season your meat and vegetables well. Spices at the grocery store can be really pricey, though! I've found I can buy most spices at the dollar store: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, celery salt, etc. All for $1 each. Stock up on a variety of seasonings - it really helps!

I like using mix packets - ranch dressing mix, French onion soup mix, etc. And then a bunch of extra garlic because, garlic. My go-to for cooking chicken:

A cup or two of stock (or water)
    Stir in the mix packet
    Add a can of cream-of-something soup
    Add a bunch of extra garlic
    add the chicken, can be frozen or not (I use thighs, I hate white meat)

Cover & cook. Leave it long enough and the chicken will just fall apart, you can eat it that night on rice, then put in on salad the next night. Or in a sandwich.

Packets are great if sodium is not an issue for you. If it is, then I'd stay away from the packets. That's why it's important (for me, and probably others) to buy onion and garlic POWDER rather than onion and garlic salt. Great flavor, less sodium.

Another note to the OP: be careful when cooking meat in the crock pot that has bones, such as chicken or bone-in roast. The bones can fall apart and splinter into your meat - very dangerous and ruins a perfectly good meal. You can still cook bone-in meat, just be mindful of that issue.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I am not a very good cook and hate to cook. That is what crock pots are good for. Things never come out bad and easy to prepare and ready to go when you are.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I skimmed through some of the responses but not all, so if what I'm saying has already been said, my apologies! Just some thoughts:

Do you have a food pantry nearby that might help with staple foods to fill YOUR pantry? You mentioned running out of grocery money. There is no shame in using resources like that if a pantry is available to you.

You also mentioned having PCOS. Me, too! One way I am changing my approach for the better this time (I need to lose over 200 pounds and have a good start) is instead of focusing ONLY on the weight loss, to make overall health and good habits a priority. If you worry too much about pounds coming off all the time, it's easy to get discouraged. You're trying to make positive changes in your life, so if you don't rely on the scale for encouragement, it will go much better. I know it is hard and you want to see big losses, but hang in there and continue working on your new way of doing things, and the weight will come off eventually. Don't set a deadline for this! Take your time. It's not a race.

It takes time to establish new habits, and it sounds like you're learning to cook for yourself more. It's a lot to take on at once, so do what you can when you can. (Quoting Roni Noone, one of my favorite bloggers)

Good luck – feel free to friend me if you'd like! I also love that you are honest and willing to hear what everyone has to say to help out.
  • LNPurdie
    LNPurdie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I skimmed through some of the responses but not all, so if what I'm saying has already been said, my apologies! Just some thoughts:

Do you have a food pantry nearby that might help with staple foods to fill YOUR pantry? You mentioned running out of grocery money. There is no shame in using resources like that if a pantry is available to you.

You also mentioned having PCOS. Me, too! One way I am changing my approach for the better this time (I need to lose over 200 pounds and have a good start) is instead of focusing ONLY on the weight loss, to make overall health and good habits a priority. If you worry too much about pounds coming off all the time, it's easy to get discouraged. You're trying to make positive changes in your life, so if you don't rely on the scale for encouragement, it will go much better. I know it is hard and you want to see big losses, but hang in there and continue working on your new way of doing things, and the weight will come off eventually. Don't set a deadline for this! Take your time. It's not a race.

It takes time to establish new habits, and it sounds like you're learning to cook for yourself more. It's a lot to take on at once, so do what you can when you can. (Quoting Roni Noone, one of my favorite bloggers)

Good luck – feel free to friend me if you'd like! I also love that you are honest and willing to hear what everyone has to say to help out.

Best advice of the whole thread... will you be my new bessie mate <3

• elizabethjmurphy
    elizabethjmurphy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lots of advice here keep in mind you don't need to take it all in at once. its a marathon not a sprint.

Sugar is a cycle, eating sugar (high glycemic) makes you want more food esp sugar. Eating low glycemic makes you less huger. You have a clear sugar addiction as I did which is why you talk about "pick me ups" If you can get over that feeling for a few days and get off the sugar you'll see better results. Protein fills you up and sustain you longer. If you need a snack reach for some turkey breast vs chips. Do you use a Pedometer? runkeeper will track your walks automatically if you have your phone in your pocket. Sometimes its about exercise and moving more. I shoot for 15,000 steps a day regardless of what my exercise is that day. shoot for 10,000 (take the stairs, fill up your water bottle at work often, this all takes steps!)
    Good luck, remember healthy is about activity, food and mindset so keep up the positive attitude. Be thoughtful about what your putting in your body and eat sitting down, slowly enjoy it!
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Last week I made creamy Italian chicken in the crockpot.

Pour 1 can of cream of chicken soup in the bottom
    place 3 or 4 chicken breast in there (depending on how many will fit)
    Sprinkle a packet of dry Italian salad dressing mix on top of the chicken
    Cut up a block of cream cheese and throw on top.

I let it cook on low for 10 hours and the chicken was so tender and flavorful.
  • tiffnkailey
    tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have a pedometer...somewhere. Will have to find it.

I noticed today when I was eating my lunch that I felt like I wanted to throw up. I think it's the protein that makes me feel that way. I was eating chicken when I felt like that.

I'm trying to stay away from the sugar now (Candy bars, coffee drinks, sweet teas, fast food) so instead I have one of those protein shakes, or atkins bar. It makes me feel like I'm eating/drinking candy or a sugary drink. But I think it is healthier then junk food?

I can already start to feel the headache and sluggish feeling. A couple years ago I had lots 40 lbs, and I tried to only eat real whole foods. I had the worst sugar withdrawls. I know that I absolutely can't have sweetners...like crystal light, etc. Those make me crave sweets like crazy.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Headache is also a known side effect of Hydroxycut. It is questionable to use and even since its re formulation has been linked to serious side effects.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sure withdrawals will definitely cause the sluggishness and can cause headaches. Those who go very low carb call it the "carb flu". It goes away after a few days but it definitely sucks while it's going on. With PCOS, a lower carb diet is definitely a good idea but there's no reason you should cut it out completely unless you want to. Having some good carbs (fruit, etc.) should help the sluggish feeling.

I love Atkins bars. The Peanut Butter Granola meal bar is my "go to" breakfast most mornings. Otherwise it's plain Greek yogurt with a handful of raspberries and some agave syrup mixed in. Their treat bars are all pretty good, too.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    Headache is also a known side effect of Hydroxycut. It is questionable to use and even since its re formulation has been linked to serious side effects.

I didn't know that. Well I drank my last one today. So maybe I will find a safer alternative.

• SueInAz
    Options

I didn't know that. Well I drank my last one today. So maybe I will find a safer alternative.
    Save your money. Focus on a calorie deficit and you shouldn't have to spend money on weight loss products that either aren't safe or don't really work. :smile:
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    Is it ok to eat alot of protein? I'm over like 11 grams.

Well I went to the store, I bought Celery, dozen eggs, Naked "Green machine" smoothie drink, 2 little snack packs one is carrots/celery/hummus, and the other is cheese/apples/caramel. and carrots, two smart ones meals.
    The rest was for my daughter milk, juice boxes, colby jack cheese, and one little can of vienna sausages.

That was $30 bucks. I eyed some of the other things, berries (my daughter said no), spinach (I thought it was to expensive), rotisserie chicken (my daughter said yuk). lol.

Luckily we have a lot of can food left, so I will try to incorporate those into some of the new foods I got. Hopefully I can go shopping again in four or five days.

So for dinner tonight I plan to eat 2 eggs with colby jack cheese, and celery with a little peanut butter on it. I know that's a random dinner. But it sounds kinda yummy to me. lol.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine to me. I eat eggs a lot. Poached eggs are great and have no extra calories from cooking fat, can be served over toast, lentils, beans, etc. put a little cheese on top, delicious. Frittatas are also good and you can put any veggies you like. I use frozen spinach a lot because it's cheap and cooks quickly. I used to make a soup with canned broth, tomatoes and frozen spinach. Throw some cheese tortellini in to make it a meal, serve with parmesan cheese.
  • tiffnkailey
    Options
    The eggs worked out great. I even made one for my daughter. 2 eggs, and some cheese. She liked it too. She snubbed her nose at the celery and peanut butter. lol.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    MFP's protein goal is pretty low, so it's certainly fine to go over it. I actually changed my goals to allow for more protein and less carbs.

I think your dinner sounds just fine. :) My mom used to make us "Ants on a Log" when I was a kid. Celery filled with peanut butter and a line of raisins on top of the peanut butter. We all loved it.

I'm on a mission to use everything in my pantry and freezer right now. I cleaned them out and organized them while I was on break from work and school between Christmas and New Year's Day. Using what you already have is a very good idea.