Obsessed

Options
I find that I am almost obsessed with food now that I am paying so much attention with tracking. I think about it all the time. It is almost driving me crazy and I almost feel angry when i see that I only get so and so calories to eat. Especially at the end of the night (my hungriest time of day) I will log everything and see I only have 700 cals for supper and I think oh my gosh how will I ever survive. I like to snack at night after supper and I find if I dont let myself have some kind of treat or snack I kinda feel like skrew it, I am not letting these numbers control my life and then i overeat. I really dont have a lot of weight to lose, I am focused on toning, strength training and trying to put healthy things in my body, but at the same time I feel like this has become something that is taking over my already busy life. Anyone else out there feel like this or am I just losing my mind.:ohwell:

Replies

• nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    No one else on a diet feels that way.

You must be losing your mind.

:)
  • kellicarter11
    kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way a lot
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    No one else on a diet feels that way.

You must be losing your mind.

:)
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ETA: Honest, it does get better it becomes more streamlined into your life and is simply something that you do, same as brushing your teeth, going for a walk, doing your bills. Your health is part of your life, keeping track of it is simply that, part of your life.:wink::drinker:
  • southernstrix
    Options
    Oh my god RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT?!?!??!?! I hate that I am obsessing and wish I could just up the exercise and not focus so much on the eating. Good luck to both of us!
  • slackeyj
    slackeyj Posts: 68
    Options
    I used to feel like that a lot. I don't really anymore because I let myself have what I want, just not in the amounts that I want. For example, if I am really dying for that chocolate bar, I will have a glass of chocolate milk or one piece of dove individually wrapped chocolates and it is this big treat and I get the satisfaction of both chocolate AND pride from having some self control. The self control part is something struggle with but I just started reminding myself that there will always be more good food later. I don't need six double stuffed oreos, I can eat two instead and be happy or I don't need three enchiladas I am just fine and full after two. I really do eat most of what I want, I just compromise with the portions. Or if I know I am going someplace where my self control is really going to get the best of me I will save up my calories, eat more low calorie, fiber and protein rich food early in the day and then go for it and eat all 800 calories left at once. I think in order to lose weight and keep it off most of us have to be a little OCD about it and realize that we won't be perfect every day and if you really go over, just go for a twenty minute walk, burn two hundred extra calories and know its going to be fine...for me, moderation in both my eating and my rewards is the key.
  • faerybun
    faerybun Posts: 65
    Options
    I feel like this all the time. I call it 'diet brain'.

It's the only thing you think about, it's the only thing you want to talk about and even if you wanted to talk about something else, the only topic that's floating in your mind is about your hip measurements or how many grams of fat was in that chicken salad and 'if I eat this granola bar, can I still have that piece of chocolate after dinner?'
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess I'm obsessing too... always checking the calories on EVERYTHING. And my husband gets annoyed by it sometimes lol. I have to do it though, or else I will end up eating like I used to!
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    I definitely have a touch of OCD, like when i lift i have to do a certain amount of reps or sets or the workouts not complete or burn so and so calories for it to be a good workout, now its this whole number thing with the calories, carbs protein, sodium...awwwww! I know I just need to chill, but it's hard when it is something I am passionate about, I Love to eat and when I hear so many people on here say, " I am so stuffed, when eating 1200 calories a day" I am like shut up! I eat 1200 calories by 5pm and am awake for another 5 hours atleast. I could easily go through 2200 calories a day to feel satisfied.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a touch of OCD, like when i lift i have to do a certain amount of reps or sets or the workouts not complete or burn so and so calories for it to be a good workout, now its this whole number thing with the calories, carbs protein, sodium...awwwww! I know I just need to chill, but it's hard when it is something I am passionate about, I Love to eat and when I hear so many people on here say, " I am so stuffed, when eating 1200 calories a day" I am like shut up! I eat 1200 calories by 5pm and am awake for another 5 hours atleast. I could easily go through 2200 calories a day to feel satisfied.

I love numbers, that is why this has been working for me! Numbers make sense and they don't lie.
  • locomotion
    locomotion Posts: 67
    Options
    Me too.. like every food I look at I see "x number of calories" instead.. and I would do a mental calculation to see if the x number of calories fits into my meal plan, ugh! But it's working and I'm losing weight counting calories so.. :ohwell:
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Ugh yes. It can be an awful feeling at times. I hate the heightened sense of awareness it brings to putting food in my mouth. I started my weight loss progress with WW. When I first started it was awful...I had to stop to check nutritional info and I got super frustrated....but then one member I met said something that stuck with me. She said "Would you rather be obsessing about your weight (a good thing) or obsessing about medications to regulate high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. etc. (for being overweight) Take your pick." Not that I have any major health issues but it sort of scared me and I thought....yeah it might be annoying but at least its for all the right reasons. I def. get hungry at night too. I take that back....I don't just get hungry at night, I get hungry all the time. I don't even think I knew what *hungry* was, pre-calorie tracking. Make sure you're spacing out your meals appropriately and leaving room for a snack between each meal and after dinner. Even if it's something small....I usually like a 100 cal bag of kettle corn for my after dinner dessert. Good luck!
  • jcl1981
    jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    your definitely not crazy, my boyfriend thinks i am nuts right now because every other word out of my mouth is about how to stay full but under calories, why am i not losing weight, how long will this this plateau last, etc. I think everyone is right about being a little OCD, i know i am at least as i count every single thing that goes into my mouth, including my vitamins, which by the way are 10 calories, haha, welcome to the ODC (obsessive dieters club!)
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I honestly think I count calories in my sleep! Or at least am on MFP in my sleep.

That is a very scary thing to have admitted to! Eek.
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    During the day I wake up at 5:30 am, work out for an hour, eat my oatmeal and protein shake, then few hours later I eat a 100-200 cal snack(healthy) then I eat lunch(healthy) another snack 2 hours later, then I get off work at 5 and immidiately start supper for my family who are also starving and I feel that even though I have ate every few hours that my body automatically thinks I am starving at 5pm, so I eat my supper and have to have something sweet right away after, It's like I can control my portions and healthy snacks all day, but after supper it's a fight. Then from 6-10 I find myself constantly thinking about food like cookie dough, chocolate and peanut butter:sad: . I also feel that since I cut my diet coke habit down from 8 cans to 2 a day. I want to eat more, even with increasing my water intake. I used to drink so much pop it filled me up.
  • Sc4ever
    Sc4ever Posts: 33
    Options
    all I think about is food I just started a few days ago hoping it gets better! :explode: