Misfit Shine - Anyone using?

Options
So I just got my Misfit Shine. It's on, but I have some questions for anyone who's an experienced user. Anyone out there?

Sarah

Replies

• jimicarpenter1283
    jimicarpenter1283 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been using one for a little bit now. what's your ?
  • sarahanncarson
    sarahanncarson Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like MFP and Misfit are working well together? It's not like Misfit is getting a heart rate. I know it's a highly educated "guess" about calorie burn, but I'm wondering how people think it's working. I've never had anything like this before. I just realized I had to go change my settings so calories and activity could be tracked properly in MFP. Are you happy with it? Do you feel like it's accurate enough to truly rely on?

Thank you!!!!
  • jimicarpenter1283
    Options
    I think its a good measure of how your doing im using the iPhone 6 with it tied to the misfit as well. I know for me it is helping a lot even if it were to be a little off unless you spend over 200 for heart rate monitors and the very expensive trackers the misfit has had very good reviews I love mine as all the options it has vs. others sleep, calories, clock( not the best but it helps) and water proof up to 50m that was defiantly a selling point to me I never have to take if off for fear of water and I don't have to take it off to charge and then eventually never put it back on. but yes I love it I think it is great. once you really figure it out I think you will love it
  • jimicarpenter1283
    Options
    and in the app the bar graph at the bottom is really good to see because I check it so much that it really does justify how active im at certain times so that is defiantly correct. I hope this helps I have a ways to go to get to my goal and this has really helped motivate me as I can see the correlation between days and how I feel and keep me on track. ive had no problems with the apps all working together if it don't sync the first time I just make it sync again and it has always worked.
  • jimicarpenter1283
    Options
    oh and I wasn't thinking as well you cant just look at how many steps you have taken and look at calories it is an activity tracker so all your movement throughout the day are tracked as well in that number
  • sarahanncarson
    Options
    This really helps! Thanks for taking the time to send me so much feedback. I have the Samsung Note 4 so I'm pretty sure my app isn't as great as yours (from what I've read). But I'm hoping this will help me lose my last 20 lbs. Good luck to you!
  • sarahanncarson
    Options
    So I sit at a desk most of the day. I know I did not move 620 steps in 2 hours. Should I not wear the wrist watch and clip it to my shirt instead? Does my arm movement mess with it?
  • jimicarpenter1283
    Options
    I would try that and see if that helps or the necklace
  • wheatnancy605
    wheatnancy605 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using the misfit shine since August. I am a right handed accountant. My calculating hand is my right hand. I did notice that it was logging some false steps because of that. (I also noticed a spike when drying my hair one morning, lol) My fix was to just move it to my left hand. It seems to be pretty accurate now. However if it is inaccurate, it is consistently inaccurate. Which is a good thing. (If that makes sense) Therefore if you show an increase in activity, you are truly showing an increase. It may not be by the exact number of steps, but regardless it is an increase. I wore mine for about a week to get an estimate of my normal activity. After I had a good base logged, I then started adding activity to my daily routine. Or trying to beat yesterdays points/steps. I know, without a doubt, that I am more active since I started wearing it than I was before. I would have to say that I love mine as well. I hope this helps as well.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just got one for Christmas and so far I love it - mostly becuase I don't have to take it off, therefore I never forget to wear it like so many other pedometers I've had in the past. As far as accuracy goes, it seem good enough. I wouldn't take it as gospel and think I could eat back all the calories it says I burn when I connect it to MFP, but as a general estimate, I think it's probably good.
  • haleymiller0707
    haleymiller0707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have had my Misfit Shine since August and I love it. I did noticed once I put it in a zippered pocket wristband and wore it around my ankle it has a more accurate reading. I got the zippered pocket wristband on Amazon for $5.00. If you want to have a friend on the app my user name is haley0707, feel free to add me.
  • djshipmom
    djshipmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had my Misfit Shine since August and I love it. I did noticed once I put it in a zippered pocket wristband and wore it around my ankle it has a more accurate reading. I got the zippered pocket wristband on Amazon for $5.00. If you want to have a friend on the app my user name is haley0707, feel free to add me.

Thanks for the post!!! :D I want another wearable option for the Shine. Can you post the link?
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I've been using Misfit Shine since late November. I really like it! I wear it almost 24/7, on my wrist for sleeping and usually clipped on my shirt collar the rest of the time although I do wear it on my shoe when cycling. I have also tried wearing it on my waistband. Overall, I feel it is as accurate as other pedometers and fitness trackers I have used. On the plus side is being waterproof.

As far as the Shine itself, it's a lovely unobtrusive design. I immediately bought a replacement band and clip as I feel both have the potential to break with wear. I have had syncing problems between Misfit app and MFP, most recently with MFP not syncing my calories consumed. I really do find this intermittent problem quite annoying but it is a problem between the two apps, not the Shine itself.

@djshipmo the Misfit Shine app shows wearable options under settings. Some locations are better than others for certain activities. The necklace option is a bit expensive and not suitable for some activities but there are work-arounds if you don't want to pay for the actual Misfit necklace.
  • sarahanncarson
    Options

Friend request sent! Thanks for the info!
  • SuzieQzie65
    SuzieQzie65 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm its_me_susan on misfit & would love to have more friends there.

My goal is low right now. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome & a bad neck/spine injury... I am slowly rebuilding, so hopefully will make slow but steady progress.
  • missy1cat
    missy1cat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the misfit and have various health conditions
  • ann04
    ann04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Purchased Misfit Flash in December. Looking for friends to motivate each other. "Letswalk" is my tag id.
  • judeoconnor66
    judeoconnor66 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've love my misfit shine. Please feel free to add me. I'm joc1966 over there.
  • nicadawg
    Options
    djshipmom wrote: »

Thanks for the post!!! :D I want another wearable option for the Shine. Can you post the link?

Have you tried searching etsy? I saw a listing there the other day. A woman makes jewelry for fitness trackers. She has metal necklaces and beaded bracelets with leather pockets to put the shine (and Fitbit) in.

I'm pretty new to using the Shine, just got mine after Christmas. I notice I'm more active. Have wondered if the reading is accurate when I wear the necklace.
  • nicadawg
    Options
    Anyone have trouble sync'ing their MFP and Shine apps? My account here says they are connected but shows 0 misfit steps even when I have lots of steps.