Broke and over weight...

Options

Replies

• xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I'm going to take a wild guess and say that OP is me..? (not sure)
    My opinion on fresh veggies vs frozen, I think that *flash* frozen is almost just as good or next to best as fresh. However the frozen/processed blah blah, no. That stuff I do try to stay away from.
    If I'm wrong I really would like input, I'm here to learn after all. :)
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    For food, I usually buy frozen vegetables and fruits because they last longer and I live by myself and I can't eat it fast enough. I go to discount grocery stores in my area to shop for most of my stuff or Target or Wal-mart is cheaper than regular grocery stores.
    I also know there are all types of you tube exercise videos that you can do for free. Or even your local library might have them. I know they have dvd's and other people have mentioned them before. I just never went there for them.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you have internet there are tons of free exercise videos. From easy to expert. Also Frozen veggies and shopping early in the morning (you will catch the marked down meat, Sundays and Tuesdays are the best days) Also brown rice and chicken breasts. Easy affordable(look for sales) and functional. You can totally do this. I lost 80+ pounds in my first 7 months with no gym, and using MFP to calorie count. It IS possible. :) Best of luck!
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    If you have internet there are tons of free exercise videos. From easy to expert. Also Frozen veggies and shopping early in the morning (you will catch the marked down meat, Sundays and Tuesdays are the best days) Also brown rice and chicken breasts. Easy affordable(look for sales) and functional. You can totally do this. I lost 80+ pounds in my first 7 months with no gym, and using MFP to calorie count. It IS possible. :) Best of luck!

Why thank you my lady! :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    Dried beans, rice (beans and rice mixed together gives a complete protein), lentil (especially lentils as they don't need any soaking), oatmeal, frozen veggies if you have room in the freezer of your fridge. Get some spices (dried and onions and garlic) to make things tasty. Purchase fresh stuff that is on sale. I know looking at the sales flyers and clipping coupons can seem like a pain for some people, but it can save substantial amounts of money.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Frozen foods (as long as they aren't freezer MEALS, but food that has actually been frozen) have much more nutrition than canned and, so I'm told, even more nutrients than fresh veggies in the produce section.

Cheap food options:
    Frozen veggies / fruit
    Frozen tilapia
    Beans
    Brown Rice
    Lentils (x1000000000000)
    Eggs

Cheap Exercise:
    Spartacus Workout (menshealth.com)
    Insanity
    Youtube aerobics and other workouts
    Body weight push-ups, squats, dips, tricep push-ups, etc.
    Running up and down public stairs

You can do this, you just need to get creative.

that would be a no...sorry.

It's not that they are more nutritious due to being frozen, it's that frozen veggies spend an hour or two between being separated from the vine and being flash frozen, hence less time to lose nutrition.

Anyway, not claiming it's true; it's just something I was told.

JustinAnimal and Adowe are correct. Frozen vegetables can be more nutritious than fresh. JustinAnimal is correct as to the reason why-- frozen vegetables are frozen within hours of being picked, whereas fresh sit for a while before you buy them because they have to be transported, probably sit in the store a day or two before purchasing, maybe then sit in your refrigerator for a day, etc. The longer the vegetable/fruit is out of the grown / off the vine or whatever, the more nutrition is lost.

Unless you can buy directly from a farmer, frozen is more nutritious. But frozen doesn't taste as good. :smile:
  • ovinas1
    ovinas1 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    In addition, if the OP is having a hard time with the budget why can't I too be having the same issue.

MFP members are quick to tell you off and why a person can't be having the same issues.
    So much trolling going on and I hate this about MFP.

• lemon629
    Options
    MomofOne, could you back your very adamant claims with something other than "I know better"?

yeah, it's called nutrition class in culinary school...that's how I know better. Peace out...

And I want to thank you for not acting like a childish *kitten*. It's been fun having a polite conversation about this.

Indeed.
    She probably wasted her money on that culinary class. I wonder what other mis-information was spread?
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    Mm, unfortunately trolling goes on every where. Doesn't really matter where you go these days. :/
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of free workouts on-line. One guy has exercise videos for folks without equipment...he incorporates stuff you have at home. For instance, instead of a battle rope, he has you using a bedsheet. He uses stools, boxes, and just your plain ol' body. Go to NowLoss.com and check it out. Free diet tips as well.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    H_Factor wrote: »
    There are a lot of free workouts on-line. One guy has exercise videos for folks without equipment...he incorporates stuff you have at home. For instance, instead of a battle rope, he has you using a bedsheet. He uses stools, boxes, and just your plain ol' body. Go to NowLoss.com and check it out. Free diet tips as well.

Oh cool that sounds up my alley, thank you for the info! :D
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Dude I'm so broke I can hardly "pay" attention lol! Sure, I can help you. I grew up dirt poor and probably always will be so I know the ropes. Long as you have an internet connection, you can work out for free. Go to youtube and look up workout videos that don't require special equipment, just your own body weight. There's a massive variety of things you can do to work out at home for free. Yoga, pushups, crunches, leg lifts, squats, all sorts of cardio just basically moving back and forth in place, don't need lot of room. Food wise, chicken is usually the cheapest meat. Make sure to get the grocery store sale papers and see what day it is on sale. Also see which of the grocery stores close to you is the cheapest. There can be a big difference. Potatoes are all right. However you can't put the usual things on them. Just salt and pepper. Dried beans that you cook up at home are cheap as h*ll, and low fat and high protein. Rice is fine in moderation, just measure it like you do everything else so you know how much you are getting. Eggs are awesome cheap protein. Frozen broccoli is usually hella cheap, also frozen green beans. Bananas are cheap. Also make sure that you take advantage of any coupons that are for things you would buy anyway. See if the store brands of things are decent. A lot of times they are, and they cost less. Buying things with the least packaging/processing gets you the most food for the least cost. Consider example a bag of dried beans versus a can of beans. A whole chicken versus a cut up one. Just stick the whole chicken in the oven and bake til done, then you can pull off the skin and either eat it just baked or strip the meat from the bones for sandwiches and recipes. OR shove the whole chicken into the crock pot overnight or while you are gone to work. See if the store has things that are reduced for quick sale, just make sure to cook them the day you buy them.

Sorry for the wall of text lol, but those are the basics for you at least.
  • jaegging
    jaegging Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think it's difficult to shop for healthy items on a budget. What I find the hardest is that what you don't pay for in cash you generally have to make up for in time, and I am really time-poor! Stock up on cheap chicken whenever you have the opportunity. It is really versatile.

If you're at risk for diabetes, it makes it even harder, because I wouldn't recommend making rice and potatoes a big part of your diet. I am diabetic, and my body just doesn't metabolize those things very well. I love them like Tyrone Biggums loves crack, but I try to avoid them.

Have you looked into whether your eligible for food assistance? I see you live in Wisconsin. I do too. Have you checked to see if you quality for Food Share?
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Dude I'm so broke I can hardly "pay" attention lol! Sure, I can help you. I grew up dirt poor and probably always will be so I know the ropes. Long as you have an internet connection, you can work out for free. Go to youtube and look up workout videos that don't require special equipment, just your own body weight. There's a massive variety of things you can do to work out at home for free. Yoga, pushups, crunches, leg lifts, squats, all sorts of cardio just basically moving back and forth in place, don't need lot of room. Food wise, chicken is usually the cheapest meat. Make sure to get the grocery store sale papers and see what day it is on sale. Also see which of the grocery stores close to you is the cheapest. There can be a big difference. Potatoes are all right. However you can't put the usual things on them. Just salt and pepper. Dried beans that you cook up at home are cheap as h*ll, and low fat and high protein. Rice is fine in moderation, just measure it like you do everything else so you know how much you are getting. Eggs are awesome cheap protein. Frozen broccoli is usually hella cheap, also frozen green beans. Bananas are cheap. Also make sure that you take advantage of any coupons that are for things you would buy anyway. See if the store brands of things are decent. A lot of times they are, and they cost less. Buying things with the least packaging/processing gets you the most food for the least cost. Consider example a bag of dried beans versus a can of beans. A whole chicken versus a cut up one. Just stick the whole chicken in the oven and bake til done, then you can pull off the skin and either eat it just baked or strip the meat from the bones for sandwiches and recipes. OR shove the whole chicken into the crock pot overnight or while you are gone to work. See if the store has things that are reduced for quick sale, just make sure to cook them the day you buy them.

Lol, it's totally okay. But thank you again I do appreciate it. :)
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

Definitely bump, same for Gia. Many people providing sound advice. I love the beans and rice option - seriously that's not expensive and packs a real punch with protein and complex carbs (provided the rice is brown). Can never go wrong with brown rice and black beans. I love them.
  • MadMaximus83
    MadMaximus83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I go to walmart to do my grocery shopping and I ad comp as well as use coupons on anything I can find. During the summer I plant a garden of all the fruits/veggies that I usually eat. I also do a lot of meatless meals so I'm not spending a lot of money on beef or chicken. Making meals that are healthy and spread is a good way to stretch a buck (usually veggie soup or chili are my go to's). Doing this helped me lower my grocery bill of 350 a month down to 200 (I shop for my husband and myself). I hope this helps :).
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    jaegging wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think it's difficult to shop for healthy items on a budget. What I find the hardest is that what you don't pay for in cash you generally have to make up for in time, and I am really time-poor! Stock up on cheap chicken whenever you have the opportunity. It is really versatile.

If you're at risk for diabetes, it makes it even harder, because I wouldn't recommend making rice and potatoes a big part of your diet. I am diabetic, and my body just doesn't metabolize those things very well. I love them like Tyrone Biggums loves crack, but I try to avoid them.

Have you looked into whether your eligible for food assistance? I see you live in Wisconsin. I do too. Have you checked to see if you quality for Food Share?

My dad has diabetes and lost a lot of weight from just changing up his cooking style (and quitting smoking/drinking cold turkey) so I picked up tips and tricks from him, but applying them to life on my own is a bit hard. Then again I have gotten /very/ lazy in defending my opinions against both of my junk food junkie roomies
    I have not heard of Food Share, is that like a food pantry of sorts?
  • aliOop18
    aliOop18 Posts: 26 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've totally been in your shoes. At the time however, I was single and lived on my own so I found it very easy to adopt a very healthy eating plan. I worked out at home doing dvds in the evenings often instead of sitting and watching tv. I lost 30lbs. RE: food - I was in the same boat, could hardly afford anything! I often used frozen veg so I wouldn't be scared to purchase that. Buy only fresh of what is in season, it will likely be low cost because of it. My go-to meal during this time was black beans (cheap, canned) and scrambled eggs with little cheese and salsa. I still eat it occasionally when my hubby is out of town. Sometimes I would throw in a little brown rice. I will say I did also eat some processed frozen foods, mostly because they were cheap and convenient (but I tried to limit) - Weight Watchers meals (mostly just the rice & beans & baked ziti ones) and also veggie burgers. I also lived off of homemade protein shakes - the powder might be expensive to purchase but when you break it down as a per meal purchase, the cost is pretty reasonable.

I will say that buying in bulk can save money when you can....i would often buy my oatmeal, other grains, etc in bulk from local health food stores. You can totally do this! Just might have to do some creative thinking & plan ahead for weekly meals...but it's attainable! :smile:
  • lemon629
    Options
    What is up with this person? She keeps de-activating, and then re-activates in order to say something combative, and then de-activates again?

By the way, a lot of my friends are graduates of the Culinary Institute of America, which is the top culinary school in the country. They also learned what I did about frozen sometimes being healthier than fresh. It's fact, not really up to debate.

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/fresh_vs_frozen_vegetables_are_we_giving_up_nutrition_fo
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/71064-fresh-versus-frozen-produce-which-healthier/
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=215
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/reasons-buy-frozen-fruits-veggies/story?id=20683879
    http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food-safety/article/freezing-food
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    MomofOne, could you back your very adamant claims with something other than "I know better"?

yeah, it's called nutrition class in culinary school...that's how I know better. Peace out...

And I want to thank you for not acting like a childish *kitten*. It's been fun having a polite conversation about this.

Indeed.
    She probably wasted her money on that culinary class. I wonder what other mis-information was spread?

Not a waste of money. I'm going to believe my instructors (chefs) before I believe any of you, sorry. Feel free to insult me more if it makes you feel better lol. Its ok. :-)

Do you have any proof backing this up? I can't find it.
    Seriously I love to learn.