No scale for 30 days

Options
Vossii
Vossii Posts: 45 Member
Hey everyone! I have decided to see what my weight will be after 30 days of not weighing myself. I plan on logging in everyday to MFP and working out 3-4/wk. After the 30 days is up I will see how much progress I made and stand on the scale. I initially weighed myself on day one of logging in to MFP to get my base weight, but have not since and it is day 6. Hoping to keep it up. I want to be surprised.

I decided to do this because I was so concerned about the number that I lose track of what is really improtant (how I feel).

Replies

• kufahlaatc123
    kufahlaatc123 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am totally going to do this you, and here is why.

I've been doing MFP for 58 days and have lost 8.6 pounds. My over all goal is to lose another 35. On top of doing my MFP I have been working out at least 4 to 5 days a week. My workouts I do change up. I do a hour of zumba on Monday's and Wednesday's sometime Saturdays, 30 minute circuit set up at home on Tuesday and/or Thursday, and jogging/walking 3+ miles on Saturday and/or Sunday if it isn't to cold out. I have lost 2.5 inches over all in them 58 days.

My issue is this, I have a weigh in tomorrow and the scale has gone up 2 pounds ( I cheated and weighed in early). I get very discouraged not seeing that number go down. I am worried that I am not doing the program right. I count EVERYTHING I eat and have cut out soda from my life. I am a former Weight Watchers member and Counting Calories is something we don't do!!! My question is this do I focus on the scale or do I look at the inches lost? How do you get to the goal weight you've set if that scale doesn't move, and how do you not let the scale define your success? (Ok so that is more than one question.)I know there needs to be a balance but how do you learn to do that when in the past everything you were taught is to worry about that number in red under your feet?

I will weigh in tomorrow like I stated however after that I will start my 30days from there.
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i wish i could do this, but i tried this a few years ago, and i didn't stay on target. it was hard for me to keep it up , because i didn't get to see the progress i just wasn't motivated. but you are right, the scale can be be a negitive thing for most
  • Vossii
    Options
    My reasoning is that I don't want to go by a number. I want to just feel my clothes getting bigger. kufahlaatc123 I think you should just go by the inches you lose, maybe you could mix up your cardio and work out different areas in your body. if you do the same things all the time, the body gets bored. you need to mix it up i think. I will also take this advice because as of right now I am just running but know I need to mix it up as well. good luck!
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've set a challenge to only weigh myself every two weeks. This seems to be the time range that I see true results and it stops me obsessing about my weight. I'm in this to get fit and eat healthy rather than be skinny - saying this I do need to lose a stone ! good luck everyone !
  • gitanja1
    Options
    I am with you on the waiting. I have been on MFP for about 10 days now. I am actually scared to weigh in. I will be very discouraged if I haven't lost anything. It is hard for me to believe that this method of losing weight will work. I do work out 3-4/wk. I think I am going to wait until the end of January. I am nervous.
  • Vossii
    Options
    Don't be nervous. If you are tracking your calories and working out, it has to show some difference as long as you are staying within your calorie limit. Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    take the battery out!
  • coronja
    coronja Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've stopped weighing myself because it caused me to lose motivation...The number wasn't going down. Instead I measure myself. ..much better motivator. In a week I lost a inch off my hips and bust.
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    but if you aren't tracking daily or every few, how do you know what you are doing works? It would be horrible to think you were killing it for 30 days only to be barely making a dent. I weigh every day, I dont log it every day, but it keeps me right minded to fix my diet or add exercise when/if I need it.
  • etelou
    etelou Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good luck, i did this when i first started and i saw great result....i also just stuck to a meal plan every week and didn't log in my calories because i was obsessing about what i ate but i was greatly surprised by the results
  • PaleoistaChick
    PaleoistaChick Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not gonna weigh myself for the next 30days either, but I will log my foods,water intake, sleep and exercises let's see how this goes because I'm too obsessed with the scale
  • MeglJames
    MeglJames Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this too, started on June 1st and have been working out 3/4 times a week and logging my food/water/exercise intake to keep track of my days. I don't want to get stressed about losing an amount of pounds a week, hopefully the hard work will have paid off when I finally weigh in on the 1st July. Feel free to add me if you want a friend who's in a similar boat, I'm struggling to find time in a busy schedule moving out from uni.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I am actually forced to do something similar as I will be abroad for much of the summer. So I will go three weeks without a weigh-in before I'm home, only to turn around and do another three weeks. I won't have access to my gym, or my food scale (or even much time to myself, as I will be working 24/7) -- and I won't even be in charge of my own food (host family)! That's a big problem for me, but I will simply have to work through it and tell them if something isn't working.

Best of luck!
  • PHStevenson
    PHStevenson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I try so hard to not weigh myself but once a week and even that is hard for me! Good luck you guys. I would have to break my scale to prevent myself from weighing. Its how I see definitive progress and it keeps me motivated.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

I think unless you measure a few areas of your body as well as weigh, you are getting a partial picture.

If you see your waist go down and calves gain a 1/4 inch... That is body contouring!

That is a win!

You may see no change that week on
    The scale but your body has gotten closer to goal.

Just my opinion

YMMV
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    whatever works for you, but just prepare your mind for the eventuality that the number is now what you had hoped for at the end. Know how to deal with that. Will you be using other performance measures such as exercise and tape measure?
  • clairebills873
    clairebills873 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wish I had the will power to do this challenge, I'm a serial weigher
  • glortard
    glortard Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just weighing myself once a month as well along with taking measurements. Put the scales in a cupboard which when you open stuff falls out so takes away temptation just to check
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I found myself focusing on the number too much, so I had my boyfriend hide the scale for a week. The week was significantly less stressful! I'm planning on only weighing once a week now, so I can see if changes need to be made.
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I currently only weigh once a month because I only weigh when I see my Diabetic Educator. I don't have a scale at home that I can use or I would probably weigh in more. Sometimes I get frustrated having to wait 30 days