Guest for a week... what would you do?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
My twin sister is coming tomorrow to stay with us for a week. I haven't seen her in 3 years, and she hasn't come to the US for 5 years.

I'm just not sure how to handle it. I don't really want to go to the gym and leave her at home, considering I haven't seen her in 3 years. Typically we'd just go for walks and whatnot, but it's going to be 34 on a good day, some days way colder than that, so I'm not too sure how that's going to work out either, plus it's very icy right now and I can't imagine the ice going away for a few days with the temperatures we're getting. All I can think of right now is to lift weights for a few minutes here and there and get on the stationary bike if we watch a movie... Thoughts?

So, I could eat less to make up for it... but she's probably going to want to try some good old American 'staples'. Looking at you ribs and cheesecake... Does anyone have any spare willpower to share with me for this week? I guess it will be a good exercise in trying to fit those things in my calories...

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Does your sister workout? Could you get her a week pass to your gym. Bust butts together and then enjoy cheesecake and ribs together?

I know it has been 3 years since you have seen her, but if it were me and my sister (who i do like) after day 2, her and I would enjoy a 2 hour break from each other...so she might understand and welcome your need to go to the gym.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    She's your sister ...ask her if she'd like to come with and if not go anyway ...it's not like she won't want to mooch around on her own anyway

Within a few hours you'll be sibling quarrelling anyway ..the space will probably do you good..it's only an hour or so isn't it?
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My mom was here with us for 2 months over the holidays and I did business as usual. I got her a guest pass at my gym and we took a couple of classes together. I used my cheat meal a week on Saturday and we would have a nice meal out and glass of wine but I didn't go super crazy. It can be hard once you are in a zone (so to say) to have guests. I am a very schedule driven person so I really needed to stay as close to my plan as possible or it would have driven me crazy.

Have fun with your sister!
  • brockettm0503
    brockettm0503 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Could you work out at home? Or work out in the early morning before she even gets up? She's your sister afterall and I would assume loves you? So she'll understand or hopefully understand that you want ot keep up with your health.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Another option might be to work out in the morning when she's sleeping anyway. Just for a week.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Well, if it were my sister, she sleeps later than I do, so I would probably just try to get my workout in before she crawled out of bed.
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I think that as your sister, she will completely understand you wanting to work out, especially if she knows you are on a weight loss (or gain or maintain - or just stay fit) journey. I know when my mom and brothers came to visit me a few years ago, I still went and worked out. My mom stayed home, but my brother came with me. They understood that for me, taking 5 days off from the gym while they were here wasn't an option.
    Like others have said, if she likes to work out, get her a pass at your gym so you can workout together.
    As far as the food is concerned, take her to anywhere she wants to go, but find something on the menu you know you can eat, or eat in moderation. That way it's the best of both worlds. Again, since she's family, she should completely understand you wanting to work out and eat healthy.
    Good luck! :smiley:
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    All the places that serve high calories items also serve low calories items, so eating out shouldn't be a problem if you search the nutritional values online ahead of time.

When I have friends visiting and I want to go to the gym, I tell them the night before, and go very early in the morning while they are still enjoying some zzz
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Grab some coffee and walk the mall. You'll get moving, and you can still have a nice conversation. Cook together, maybe some old family recipes. A few meals won't derail you. Of course, I left the house in -12 temps this morning with a -24 windchill. So 34 sounds perfect for a very long walk, lol.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My sister hates working out but she is huge on counting calories. But she gives me the two hours I need and I do it in the morning. Later in the day I will fall into the "I will do it tomorrow".

You really want to keep fit during her visit I can tell by the way you have asked the questions. Since you want to do it, and if she does not work out and can't accompanying you, ask for two hours to do your thing if you can't do it before you both get ready for the day!

Are you going to log in MFP during her visit? I would try my best log in MFP everyday and even when you guys eat out during her visit.

I am sure you will figure something out that does not interrupt too much visiting time..

Enjoy... I only have one sister so I know how important she is to you!

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Grab some coffee and walk the mall. You'll get moving, and you can still have a nice conversation.

This is a great idea! And you will probably want space for a hour or so, so tell her you're going to the gym a couple times. As for the eating--I took time off from calorie counting while my guests were here and it didn't derail my weight loss. (Although I did stay the same weight for three weeks, the longest since I started in August. Then three pounds whooshed off this week.) Macaroni and cheese, cookies, and many many Christmas foods were eaten during this time.

If you're truly dedicated, you don't have to eat those staples alongside her. But it's not the end of your diet if you do.
  • mollyr0425
    Options
    I would much prefer my host leave me alone for a couple of hours each day to go to the gym than be on a stationary bike while we watched a movie! Maybe that's just me but it sounds extremely annoying haha
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Look at some restaurant menus ahead of time and decide what will fit your plan at places you might go with your sister. Keep portions small. Drink mostly water. Plan some meals at home. It is only a week though so I wouldn't stress about it even if you eat out every day.
    I would look at you tube workouts you could do in the morning or evening before your sister gets up or after she goes to bed... Lots of videos around 30 minutes. Invite your sister to exercise with you. Go indoor mall walking or walk around a museum together. Go ice skating or roller skating together. Go to an indoor pool together. Go bowling. Go dancing. Dress warm and go for a walk outside.
    I would not just hop on the stationary bike while watching a movie with your sister. That seems rude to me.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Are you guys attached at the hip? If not, then I doubt going to the gym 2-3 times for an hour isn't going to hurt. And the alone time might be worth it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well I don't think she works out and even less than she's bringing workout clothes, although I guess she would fit in mine (probably?) and my shoes too... I don't think my gym does weekly passes, but I'll ask.

Morning might work but I have kids too and typically no time to do anything between 6.30am and 8.30am as I have to get them ready for school etc. But I guess if she sleeps in, that would help, I can be back by 10am, lol.

You guys might be on to something though, I might need a break at some point, we typically get on each other's nerves after a while (ok, a short while). So I'm probably worrying for nothing... I definitely plan on logging and doing the regular stuff otherwise though (and not go nuts at the restaurant if we go!). And yes we're definitely go to the mall, she needs shoes, and it typically means going to 20 different shoe stores (I wish I was joking).

When my mom is here I don't care one bit though, but I see her 3 times a year.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    she needs to see your 'new normal'.

dont be ashamed of it but dont be inflexible as well.

cut workouts in half for the week.

consider it your 'preventing burnout' week and just make sure you return to regularly scheduled programming after she leaves :D
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    When I visit my daughter in Seattle (I am in Minnesota), it is a given that mom needs to do her thing. Plain and simple. Sometimes daughter joins me... other times, the granddaughters join me (especially when my jaunts take me to the store where grandma can spoil them :smile: ) I like my hour or so a day to myself... and I can't imagine that you can't find an hour to get a quick work out in. I am willing to bet your sister won't mind an hour or so to herself daily as well... either that, or incorporate a "workout" into daily excursions without even letting her know. You can track a bunch of steps at the mall!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A few days, I'd stay home. A week? I'm going to the gym...unless it would start some hinge family fight.

You know her better than we do!