Headspace/ mindfulness mediatation

Options
As well as trying to sort out my body (food exercise etc) I am trying to sort my head. As part of this I have started mindfulness meditation and use the headspace app, it's really helpful for me, just wondering if anyone else is doing the same and wants to help nudge each other if we miss a few days.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Never heard of headspace. I'll look that up. I'm currently reading Meditation and the Martial Arts by Raposa. I find I can enter a mindful state more easily when I am moving. The repetitive exercises of Tai Chi are helpful.

Have you tried mindful eating?
  • ens102
    ens102 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's a free app but it might only be in the UK. I started off by reading Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world eBook: Prof Mark Williams, Dr Danny Penman which has guided meditations. I haven't tried proper mindful eating as yet - mostly working on having meals not in front of the TV (baby steps in the right direction) but I do try and make sure I actually taste and appreciate my food much more now.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I don't use an app or even a regimented program, but I fully believe in mindfulness and meditation. Very important part of overall body and mental health. For me personally, I couldn't make any outward, physical improvements until I changed myself inside first. Getting the mind in the right place is a key to overall health.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I don't use an app or even a regimented program, but I fully believe in mindfulness and meditation. Very important part of overall body and mental health. For me personally, I couldn't make any outward, physical improvements until I changed myself inside first. Getting the mind in the right place is a key to overall health.

This is SO true. I am trying to work on this, but it is difficult.
  • LO1421
    LO1421 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi ens102! That is a great app. You can also find many mindfulness meditations on youtube. I am working on my license in mental health and we had a whole class on this topic. We started each class with a different mindfulness meditation! It is great. Also if you are interest try yoga if you haven't already. Yoga was my lifesaver when times were really rough. I learned so much about myself mentally and physically.
  • The_Fitness_Foodie
    The_Fitness_Foodie Posts: 95 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi, I will have to look up that Headspace app, it sounds just up my street.

I am a great believer in meditation and mindfulness - being Buddhist probably helps in that department; mindful eating is great, I generally concentrate wholly on my meals, no TV or music as a distraction, it helps you be more aware of what and why you are eating.

I attribute biggest part (50%) of my weight loss success to my mental attitude to my journey, the food (25%) and the exercise (25%) are only a small part of my ongoing success....

Until you get your head in the right place, you will never successfully lose the weight you want to lose....

xXx
  • gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I sit with a Buddhist meditation group several times a week. Works for me better than sitting by myself.
  • ens102
    ens102 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think a group sounds really good, sometimes I struggle to make time at home though and I would be worried that making it to a group would just add more stress to life.