Peanut Butter Alternative

Options
Does anyone know of a good alternative to peanut butter other than an almond butter? I know peanut butter is good for you because of the healthy fats and protein but I seem to not be able to stop eating it once I start and can eat half a jar in one sitting. I am worried about the high caloric content of it....Any suggestions?

Replies

• kissmekates101
    Options
    try pb2 its my lifesaver only has 45 calories for 2 tbsps!!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yep!!!!! PB2!!! It comes in regular flavor and chocolate. Not all stores carry it, though. Call ahead and ask if your store has it. Some stores have it in the health food section, some have it with the peanut butter. You can also order it from their website. What they do is press the peanuts, pressing out the oil and fat, leaving a powder. You mix the powder with just a little water, and you have yummy peanut butter with only...are you ready for this? 45 calories for 2 tablespoons! I prefer the chocolate myself. It's all natural, too. Ok, now I am done sounding like a commercial. lol :drinker:
  • buety13
    buety13 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bell plantation has a product called PB2. 2 Tbls is 45 cal and 1.5 gr of fat. It is a powder, you can add water to make the peanut butter texture or use it in baking...my favorite is my protien shakes! You can find them online and order...its the best stuff ever if you love peanut butter!!
  • helvetikat
    helvetikat Posts: 21
    Options
    Hungry Girl suggests these options:

Better'n Peanut Butter: http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php

and

PB2: http://store.bellplantation.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-s/3.htm

I haven't tried either, but I thought the links might be handy.
  • flwrgrl11
    flwrgrl11 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I will have to get my hands on both of those products and give them a try. Expensive??
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I can't even bring peanut butter home because like you, I cannot stop eating it. The only thing I have found is that Whole Foods sells nut butter sample packets. I once bought one of Macadamia Nut Butter and also a Walnut Butter or Cashew Butter. You can't eat too much if you only buy a sample.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    flwrgrl, PB2 runs about $4 in the grocery store. If you order from their website, you can buy a pack of two for about $8. Pretty reasonable for a truly awesome product that lets you enjoy peanut butter again. Google PB2, and their link should pop up at the top of the list.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    PB2 is extremely expensive if you live outside the USA (such as Canada). The shipping makes the final cost pretty much insane. I haven't found any substitutes available in my region (Ontario, Canada!) yet, which really sucks - I'm dying to try it!!! :frown:
  • flwrgrl11
    flwrgrl11 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks kappyblu
  • katymae
    katymae Posts: 8
    Options
    I personally dislike the taste of PB2 (it makes me sick to my stomach, and I have a stomach of STEEL!). However, I love Better N' Peanut Butter. I can find it here (So Cal) at Trader Joe's, and it has also popped up at a few Targets! It is a bit pricey (around $4 a jar), but well worth the halt it places on a peanut butter binge :)
  • jemmur
    jemmur Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    hazelnut butter? i tried it yesterday and absolutely loved it but it got a little bitter after one slice of toast + hazelnut butter, so i only had one. if that was peanut butter, i'd probably have been tempted to go for a second and maybe third slice hehe.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have hazelnut spread I get in the Pain Quotidien in London, and Pistachio spread I picked up in Sicily. Health food shops often sell cashew butter too.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My favorite PB alternative is sunflower seed butter and my favorite brand is SunButter (www.sunbutter.com -- but I get it at my regular grocery store)--especially the crunchy kind! Yum! You can also get sunflower seed butter at Trader Joe's, and I've had another brand from the health food store.
    -LP
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I really like the better than peanut butter.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks. After totally cleaning up my diet and getting hooked on peanut-only organic PB, I finally had to admit defeat and eliminate it from my foods.

Anyone know why is it such a domino food? (Leads to binges)
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Better 'N Peanut Butter! The calorie count ifor this product is higher than PB2 (for PB2 it's 45 cals/2 Tablespoons and for Better 'N Peanut Butter it's 100 cals/2 tablespoons), but when I was looking into peanut butter alternatives, I read somewhere that when you mix the PB2 powder with water, you actually only get half the amount of peanut butter (i.e. 2 tbsp of powder yields 1 tablespoon of peanut butter) so the calorie count for both actually ends up being the same. Not sure if that is true since I have never tried PB2...I'd recommend trying both!
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love sunbutter! I eat some every morning with a banana before my workouts. I can only find it at our Whole Foods market and its between 5-6 dollars for a jar. I bought it originally for my son who has a peanut allergy and found that I liked it better than PB.