working out while sick

Options
help! yesterday i woke up with a major headache, that hurts more anytime i move, with congestion and a left earache.. should i work out? i did yesterday and today, but i am wondering if i should take tommorow off? especially since i am working midnights tonight.

Replies

• hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just my experience . . .

When I have a mild cold, I DO workout, and I feel better while working out and for several hours afterward.
    For anything more serious, I assume my body needs all its energy for germ-fighting, and I use that time as rest days.

Yours sounds pretty bad, so my advice would be ibuprofen, mucinex, water, and a good book.
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Take time off until you feel better. You need to let your body recover.
  • Armymom44
    Armymom44 Posts: 76
    Options
    I would take a day off to get better I know hard for me my allergies are bothing I did work out not like I would of liked to thou
  • philip31
    philip31 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Definately rest up and give your body time to recuperate, when you feel better you can work out again.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You should rest. Your body needs to focus on fighting your illness and exercise takes away from that. It's especially important not to exercise if you go to a gym, you don't want to be spreading germs to everyone else.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Typically it's OK to work out unless you have a fever. However if I felt miserable, even without a fever, I probably would skip it and let myself recover. Or just take it easy and do something less intense that lets you still get some exercise without aggravating your symptoms. That way you also keep yourself from feeling guilty for missing your workout. The sooner you get better, the sooner you can get back to it. Don't overdo it and prolong your illness.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    In one of my magazines about fitness I read something that said "if you are sick below the neck" n other words, chest congestion, breathing problems, bronchitis .. do NOT work out as heavy breathing may force the infection deeper into your lungs/body. If it's above the neck, it's ok.

Having said that, I think if you feel like ****, take the day off. Or try to jog a little around your home, if you feel like crap, you know you should just go back home and give it a rest.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    Everyone else is correct... I was just recently sick and looked it up, hope this site can help you... http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/working-out-with-cold
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    ive been working out these past days with a stuffy runny nose and sore throat...but if i have a major headache i would not...
  • RedL1988
    RedL1988 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I feel bad when I miss a workout, but my head was killing me when I was bouncing around! I will take the day off tommorow if I do not feel better by the time I wake up..
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Everyone else is correct... I was just recently sick and looked it up, hope this site can help you... http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/working-out-with-cold

Thanks, great article.

The other angle is, when I have a cough or sniffles, I feel like an @hole going to the gym, I mean, I know everyone is thinking that I am infecting them . . so I stay home until I am better.
  • junglejd13
    junglejd13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I recently developed cold symptoms, and I am CONVINCED I got it from a 15 year old girl in my spin class that was hacking then entire 60 minute class. So I think that if people are coughing and hacking into the air they are going to infect everyone. If you have running nose, sneezing you can use tissues and disinfect EVERYTHING you touch with a sanitizing wipe so others don't get infected.