RUNNING ADVICE... need quick help

Options
DTetz
DTetz Posts: 109 Member
I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in 15:30 for a job I want... I tried running today on the treadmill at the gym and made 1.35 miles in 15:30... :s I have one day shy of 2 weeks before I have to run... I am giving up smoking, and plan on running once everyday up until then... any advice that may help?

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying!
    If you do it every day, your body will get used to it, and you'll be able to go faster.
    Good luck!!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yep, just do it every day so you can adapt.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    do HIIT or a C25k program they are really good at building cardio adjust what week you are on to really push self and feel out of breath between each interval but not so much that you don't recover between the time set. . also day prior to test don't run and let self rest hold off on restricting Kcals eat meal like 2.5-5 hours prior; carbs and protein lower fats as they take longer to digest. Good luck to you man and be safe when running don't hurt self trying to get there.
  • ms_blonde_2008
    Options
    I started this program (although you wouldn't be done in 2 weeks!). its call the C25K program where you go from sitting on the couch to running a 5k (3 miles) within 35-14 minutes. Not sure if it would help you at all but you could give it a try. I just started it Yesterday.
    if you want more info on it, this is the site. it will also give you a schedule to to run on the treadmill.
    http://www.c25k.com/
  • rfoshee
    rfoshee Posts: 6
    Options
    Do tempo runs, fartleks, or speed work at a local track. That's the only stuff that's going to get your muscles ready however, it may not happen in two weeks but since you're almost to your goal, speed work might be your best bet.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    You just have to build up to it. If you are able to get to 1.35 miles in 15:30, I don't see it being an issue to get to 1.5 in 2 week.

Try something like this:

Day 1: 2 minute run (as fast as you can) + 2 minute walk, repeat until you complete 2 miles
    Day 2: 2 minute jog (6 MPH pace) + 1 minute walk, repeat until you complete 2 miles
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: 2 minute run (as fast as you can) + 2 minute walk, repeat until you complete 2 miles
    Day 5: 2 minute jog (6 MPH pace) + 1 minute walk, repeat until you complete 2 miles
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest
    Day 8: Complete 1.5 miles @ 6 MPH pace. (if it works, you should complete it at 15 minutes)
  • OnYourLeft
    OnYourLeft Posts: 1
    Options
    Interval training(aka "fartlek") is the best...sprint as hard & fast as you can for as long as you can handle it..then walk & cool down...then repeat....as much as you can...the next time you run, you'll notice your speed will have improved. You can google it for further details.

Also, running on a treadmill isn't anything like running on the street..the treadmill is moving & you're keeping up with it...running on the street is you propelling yourself forward...its a big difference. If you need any more help feel free to msg me.

Also, so you don't get as sore after the interval training, right when you finish a run jump into the shower or an ice cold bath & ice your legs for about 10 min or so...it helps reduce inflammation so you can get out again the next day...since you only have 2 weeks, there's no time to waste being sore! lol

Good luck =) Let us know if you make it!!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Will they be testing you on a treadmill or on the road? It's different running on the 'mill than a track or cross country (on a road). I would switch to road/track if that's how they are testing you. (That will also help, because you have the extra adrenaline to get you going, whereas on a treadmill your pace is regulated; but if you're not used to road running, you could start too fast and wear yourself out before you're done).

If you keep doing treadmill, just gradually increase your pace. If you're running at 4.5 mph now, get warmed up, then do 2-3 min (more if you can) at 4.7. Once you can do the full run at 4.7, push it up to 5 (or so... just example).

Good luck!
  • kansasgal19
    kansasgal19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Since you are so close to meeting your goal, you just need to keep at it to have that confidence to do it in the alloted time. (I ran a half marathon last year and run on almost a daily basis) My suggestions for faster times:

1. If you have to run off the treadmill for the test, I would suggest getting outside and timing yourself there. Sometimes I run faster outside because there's more to look at and it's just plain easier. Or sometimes, the terrain is hilly or unpredictable and that can slow you down.

2. Drink lots of water. Warm up and cool down before and after every run. Get plenty of sleep. Eat well. The basics really show up in running.

3. Give yourself light days, even a day off. If you try to go all out every day you run, your body is going to wear out and get tired, causing you to fall behind that time you want to be at.

4. Run longer than your goal distance once a week. It helps you build stamina and speed for shorter races. A lot of training programs advocate this. Try once a week running double the distance at the pace you would run to meet the goal of the original distance. This gets your body used to going longer at that speed. This is a tough work out, but that's why you only do it once a week :-)

I'm not an expert, so of course, use your best judgment. I'm just a fellow runner who gets excited about goals. Good luck!!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Hmm... Those standards sound really familiar to me ;) (or maybe i'm just assuming)

C25K works.

If you don't mind reading a lot, then below is also an excellent guide. It helps you with more than just running too. Even if you are not joining the military.

http://www.navy-prt.com/files/pre-conditioning.pdf
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, keep running! And unless the test the employer is going to give you is going to be on a treadmill also, you probably want to do your running outside for real. Find a local track at a school or something and time yourself for 6 laps. You might find it a fair amount different than the treadmill, especially if it's particularly hot outside. I would approximate the conditions of the test as closely as possible so you can better predict how you will perform when it counts.
    On the day of your test, you will probably give it just that little extra effort because of the incentive of passing the test. Plus I assume you'll be running at the same time as other applicants which will spur you along a little bit too.
    Good luck!
  • kansasgal19
    kansasgal19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OH, forgot to mention, in the longer run, it's totally acceptable to insert one minute walk sessions if you can't make the double distance at the pace you set.
  • PeaceMe
    PeaceMe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So this is what I have been doing to increase speed and endurance. I love it and it really has made me push myself more than I could have alone and it goes fast! Check it out! I purchaced mine as a digital download from Amazon.

8 Weeks to 5k Training Program [MP3 Download] $7.92
    By: Personal Running Trainer
    Sold By: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • DTetz
    Options
    Ya I am worried about running on the treadmill being easier then running outside :S but I don't know how to time myself and distance outside to see where I am at... plus it's easy to keep a pace on the treadmill... I will let you guys know how it goes :S I am really nerves
    Interval training(aka "fartlek") is the best...sprint as hard & fast as you can for as long as you can handle it..then walk & cool down...then repeat....as much as you can...the next time you run, you'll notice your speed will have improved. You can google it for further details.

Also, running on a treadmill isn't anything like running on the street..the treadmill is moving & you're keeping up with it...running on the street is you propelling yourself forward...its a big difference. If you need any more help feel free to msg me.

Also, so you don't get as sore after the interval training, right when you finish a run jump into the shower or an ice cold bath & ice your legs for about 10 min or so...it helps reduce inflammation so you can get out again the next day...since you only have 2 weeks, there's no time to waste being sore! lol

• DTetz
    Options
    Yes other's will be running and it's probably harder to run outside vs. a treadmill huh :/
    Like everyone has said, keep running! And unless the test the employer is going to give you is going to be on a treadmill also, you probably want to do your running outside for real. Find a local track at a school or something and time yourself for 6 laps. You might find it a fair amount different than the treadmill, especially if it's particularly hot outside. I would approximate the conditions of the test as closely as possible so you can better predict how you will perform when it counts.
    On the day of your test, you will probably give it just that little extra effort because of the incentive of passing the test. Plus I assume you'll be running at the same time as other applicants which will spur you along a little bit too.
    Good luck!
  • PeaceMe
    Options
    btw: I personally don't like treadmills, I love running outside. Treadmills to me are boring, outside I can be distracted by the scenery.Of course you know what works best for you! Good Luck!
  • DTetz
    Options
    It's for a position at a treatment center for inmates
    Hmm... Those standards sound really familiar to me ;) (or maybe i'm just assuming)

C25K works.

If you don't mind reading a lot, then below is also an excellent guide. It helps you with more than just running too. Even if you are not joining the military.

http://www.navy-prt.com/files/pre-conditioning.pdf
  • PeaceMe
    Options
    Ya I am worried about running on the treadmill being easier then running outside :S but I don't know how to time myself and distance outside to see where I am at... plus it's easy to keep a pace on the treadmill... I will let you guys know how it goes :S I am really nerves

Ok So sorry I am blowing this up. You can use a heart rate monitor that will keep track of the time and distance or you can use a phone app such as cardio trainer that will keep track of those and even give you a map and statistics of your run. Cardio Trainer has a ton of cool features. :smile:
  • DTetz
    Options
    Hearing that someone finds it easier to run outside is motivating :) this has been my biggest worry so far
    Since you are so close to meeting your goal, you just need to keep at it to have that confidence to do it in the alloted time. (I ran a half marathon last year and run on almost a daily basis) My suggestions for faster times:

1. If you have to run off the treadmill for the test, I would suggest getting outside and timing yourself there. Sometimes I run faster outside because there's more to look at and it's just plain easier. Or sometimes, the terrain is hilly or unpredictable and that can slow you down.

2. Drink lots of water. Warm up and cool down before and after every run. Get plenty of sleep. Eat well. The basics really show up in running.

3. Give yourself light days, even a day off. If you try to go all out every day you run, your body is going to wear out and get tired, causing you to fall behind that time you want to be at.

4. Run longer than your goal distance once a week. It helps you build stamina and speed for shorter races. A lot of training programs advocate this. Try once a week running double the distance at the pace you would run to meet the goal of the original distance. This gets your body used to going longer at that speed. This is a tough work out, but that's why you only do it once a week :-)

I'm not an expert, so of course, use your best judgment. I'm just a fellow runner who gets excited about goals. Good luck!!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options

LOL -- that was my first thought, too! (Followed by "what about the curl-ups? the push-ups? the BCA?")

DTetz -- since you were able to get 1.35mi in 15 minutes, I'm guessing you're already in the middle of some sort of fitness program. (If not, then oh-my-goodness, you'll be sore tomorrow! :wink: )

Anyway, if you're not already exercising, then I don't know that I'd recommend that you run every day -- you'd run the risk stressing your legs and getting an injury. So, if you're not already exercising, I think I'd recommend that you alternate jogging one day and then walking the next (or spinning, or elliptical), just so that you're not pounding your shins to death every day.

Good luck!