Steps in a day

Options
How many steps do you do in a day ? What do you average out at ...does this really make a big differance to weight loss ?

Replies

• Mistapholeezkat
    Mistapholeezkat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 10,000 steps a day. I don't always get that many in. The times when I was consistently getting 10,000 and more I noticed my weight was less and easier to manage. I simply was more active, not sitting around the house and munching.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    When I work, I can easily end the day close to 14,000 steps (not recently as I've had a few days off). It really does work as that is one of the ways I lost all my weight. Before my Kindle died, I was adding up the total number of steps I was taking and was well on track towards breaking a few million in a year.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I drive a desk, so I'm lucky to get more than about 2000 steps in a day.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    doomspark wrote: »

There are times I purposely try to inconvenience myself so I have to move more (I.e. "forgetting" things downstairs and needing to make multiple trips or purposely parking farther away from the store so I have a farther walk, etc.).

Maybe find excuses to make copies, use the restroom, get a drink, etc. It all adds up.

• Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    In August I benchmarked existing activity and I was averaging 7,500 steps per day. Over eight weeks I increased that to 14,000 average (and increased floors climbed from 10 per day to 40 per day). In that period I lost 3 pounds without consciously changing my calorie intake (so I can't rule out that it was reduced or increased). So I would say that the effect on weight loss alone was somewhere between modest and nonexistent. But I've continued and also lost 7 more pounds through calorie counting, and I can say that my legs look a lot better than they did in August.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I average 9225 currently.
    When I first started tracking steps my average was 6484 a day.
    For me, fewer steps = less activity = less calories I'm able to eat and still lose weight.
    More steps = higher activity = more calories available = about the same/slightly faster weight loss
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Avg 12-13K - makes a big difference for me otherwise I'd probably have to start eating salads ;)
  • droid1419
    droid1419 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have my goal set to 10,000 a day. but i normally get in about 8000 or so
  • ceejld
    ceejld Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My goal is 16200. I have a dog so I do a fair amount of walking. I tend to hit 17500 mid week and 19k on weekends. I struggle when I am travelling for work and have spent time walking up and down hotel rooms just to hit my goal, hence my goal is a bit under my typical walking when at home.

I'm not entirely convinced the calories make a difference, for me the benefit is psychological. More time moving means more time outside the house and away from the fridge. If I do have a lazy day I get that feeling of guilt and then shortly after that I fall off the wagon when it comes to calories.
  • TriciaB04
    TriciaB04 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

doomspark wrote: »

There are times I purposely try to inconvenience myself so I have to move more (I.e. "forgetting" things downstairs and needing to make multiple trips or purposely parking farther away from the store so I have a farther walk, etc.).

Maybe find excuses to make copies, use the restroom, get a drink, etc. It all adds up.

I have started doing all of these things too. Plus, I work on the 9th floor and only use the restroom on the 4th floor. And since I'm drinking 6-9 glasses of water at work, I use the restroom a few times. It takes me less than a minute to climb the 5 flights. I would like to be able to go all the way to the first floor eventually, but right now it takes too long to do that.

With all of that, I get in 5000 steps a day. It's not as high as I would like it to be, but before I started working at it, I was only getting 2000, so I'm pretty happy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I aim for 10,000 a day.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I average close to 10,000/day. I've logged 1.7 million steps since I got my Fitbit in August. I'm aiming for 4 million for 2015.

It's really not hard (once you've gotten used to it) to hit 7500-10000 daily. I have 30-60min/day dedicated to a purposeful walk or run, and I make myself get up once an hour and take a brisk walk around the house (climb some stairs, or library, if at school) for 5-10 minutes. That's 1,000-1,500 steps at a time right there. It all adds up fast.

And so do the calories. I track my food calories and Fitbit's TDEE against what I've lost, and yep, I earn 500+ calories every day just by taking movement breaks and a little bit of workout time to myself every day.
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    10K steps minimum for me and yes, it makes a big difference in weight loss. On work days, I usually hit around 15K, and then will come home and generally do about 45 min to an hour on the treadmill. On the days I don't work (3 days a week), I push myself to get those steps in. That is motivation enough for me to stick to my food choices. IF I choose to eat something a little out of my calorie range, I know that I can walk off the extra calories. Walking keeps me motivated and I've resigned myself to the fact that I will walk every day for the rest of my life. :-)