motivation ideas?

Options
my main motivation is to get this weight off forever. but what are some rewards that are non food that you reward yourself for making it to a certain goal? not your ultimate goal but mini goals. i choose not to use food cuz i like to junk, fast, processed, whatever food to be in my daily life, not every day, but you know if i want it ill have it wisely. but anyways, what are some rewards you give yourself? like say, you lose X lbs, ima reward myself with..... i need some ideas that will help me get more excited.

Replies

• Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I bought me a little charm bracelet and for each 5 lbs I lose I have started buying a new charm for it. . .nothing expensive since it's really a kiddie bracelet but I like it so that's all that matters.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    When I lost ten pounds, I bought a new LMFAO shirt for working out.
    When I lost fifteen pounds, I bought a new laptop. (LOL, wasn't expecting that one.)
    When I lose 20, I plan on going shopping again.
    Etc, etc.
    Mostly clothes, though.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Today I bought myself a new bathing suit and ordered a new bikini!!! I have used a picture of a bikini on my screensaver all through the dead of winter to motivate myself and finally!!! Today was the day! That was a long term reward goal, usually my short term rewards are something that will propel my fitness. Like a new set of weights, a new workout DVD, something new to add to my home gym.

ETA: I love the bracelet idea!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't have mini goals. I get new clothes as I need them, but other than that I don't do anything. Seeing the number on the scale going down and having my clothes fit better and then get too big is all the motivation I need. In my opinion, the motivation should be internal, it shouldn't have to come from external sources.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    Splurge on little things... do you like pedis or manis? Treat yourself to one every mini goal or if money is tight every other mini goal. If you like clothes or shoes, those could also be considered rewards. Spa day = reward. Make-over = reward. Anything you love, that you dont normally treat yourself to can be used as a reward and help boost your motivation! The key is to associate a good feeling with the loss of weight, inches, or whatever it is that you are trying to achieve. Hope this helps!!!
  • ContinuousEffort
    Options
    I bought me a little charm bracelet and for each 5 lbs I lose I have started buying a new charm for it. . .nothing expensive since it's really a kiddie bracelet but I like it so that's all that matters.

I really like your charm bracelet idea. I might try that too!
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think rewarding yourself for a job well done is a fantastic idea. Sometimes you have to be your biggest fan. For every 10lbs, I get a massage. We get really good deals at the hospital where I work. I love exercise clothing too, so I might buy new shorts or a new t shirt or sports bra for my workout. I don't spend a lot of money, but whatever I spend on myself, I think I am worth it. I never do food rewards. I think the charm bracelet idea was a great one, I might have to try that.

Watching my weight go down is nice too, but knowing there is a little someting extra after each 10lbs, makes it a bonus. Best of luck to you.
  • ohmissemily
    ohmissemily Posts: 73 Member
    Options

thats really sweet. i might have to start wearing bracelets again so i can do that.
  • ohmissemily
    Options
    When I lost ten pounds, I bought a new LMFAO shirt for working out.
    When I lost fifteen pounds, I bought a new laptop. (LOL, wasn't expecting that one.)
    When I lose 20, I plan on going shopping again.
    Etc, etc.
    Mostly clothes, though.

i love clothes. i might have to do that. i havent bought clothes in almost 3 yrs besides a shirt here, a shirt there. i should making a shopping spree one of my goals without feeling guilty ive spent too much.
  • ohmissemily
    Options
    Today I bought myself a new bathing suit and ordered a new bikini!!! I have used a picture of a bikini on my screensaver all through the dead of winter to motivate myself and finally!!! Today was the day! That was a long term reward goal, usually my short term rewards are something that will propel my fitness. Like a new set of weights, a new workout DVD, something new to add to my home gym.

ETA: I love the bracelet idea!!!

ohh thats a great one. if my "after" body permits me to, i will wear a bikini. and i do have a list of dvds to buy, forgot about that!!! thanks!!
  • ohmissemily
    Options
    I don't have mini goals. I get new clothes as I need them, but other than that I don't do anything. Seeing the number on the scale going down and having my clothes fit better and then get too big is all the motivation I need. In my opinion, the motivation should be internal, it shouldn't have to come from external sources.

i believe that, but i like to reward myself for being able to keep going. ive stopped or quit losing weight for about 2 almost rolling on 3 yrs cuz i just got bored and tired and stressed with it. so im just trying to start again cuz i know i can do it. just lil things that are tangible are nice.
  • ohmissemily
    Options
    Splurge on little things... do you like pedis or manis? Treat yourself to one every mini goal or if money is tight every other mini goal. If you like clothes or shoes, those could also be considered rewards. Spa day = reward. Make-over = reward. Anything you love, that you dont normally treat yourself to can be used as a reward and help boost your motivation! The key is to associate a good feeling with the loss of weight, inches, or whatever it is that you are trying to achieve. Hope this helps!!!
    i think that a mani and pedi are gonna be when i hit my 50 lb goal, im 8 lbs away from it. ive never had a mani but ive had like 2 pedis in my life and i love them. so thats gonna be my first reward, that i dont get usually :)
  • ohmissemily
    Options
    I think rewarding yourself for a job well done is a fantastic idea. Sometimes you have to be your biggest fan. For every 10lbs, I get a massage. We get really good deals at the hospital where I work. I love exercise clothing too, so I might buy new shorts or a new t shirt or sports bra for my workout. I don't spend a lot of money, but whatever I spend on myself, I think I am worth it. I never do food rewards. I think the charm bracelet idea was a great one, I might have to try that.

Watching my weight go down is nice too, but knowing there is a little someting extra after each 10lbs, makes it a bonus. Best of luck to you.

need to buy new workout clothes. badly...so that will be something to get on my to do list. thank you very much and best of luck to you also:)
  • hollycurran
    hollycurran Posts: 39
    Options
    I get myself new clothes! I'm at next goal once I lose about three pounds, and I'm going to buy myself new workout clothes! Then I feel proud of myself, i reach my goal, and I get new clothes that I;'m excited to work out in, it's a win all around!
  • ohmissemily
    Options
    i know ive replied to each of you individually so far but thanks again so much im making ideas and lists right now thanks so much!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have gotten "sexy" pictures done through out my weight loss and its a great motivator! I actually SEE the weight coming off (and where I still want to perfect) Clothes are always great but I unfortunantly cant do that by the pounds because I dont loose sizes with a certain number of pounds, mani/pedis like someone else said. Hair cuts. A night out with the girls? where you allow yourself 2-3 drinks? (You dance them off anyways!)
  • ohmissemily
    Options
    I get myself new clothes! I'm at next goal once I lose about three pounds, and I'm going to buy myself new workout clothes! Then I feel proud of myself, i reach my goal, and I get new clothes that I;'m excited to work out in, it's a win all around!

lovee itttt, do you do like every 3 lbs or every 5 lbs or what?
  • ohmissemily
    Options
    I have gotten "sexy" pictures done through out my weight loss and its a great motivator! I actually SEE the weight coming off (and where I still want to perfect) Clothes are always great but I unfortunantly cant do that by the pounds because I dont loose sizes with a certain number of pounds, mani/pedis like someone else said. Hair cuts. A night out with the girls? where you allow yourself 2-3 drinks? (You dance them off anyways!)

i think ill buy clothes either way, im not much of a bar or club gurl, i celebrate with drinks on my own lol.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Where did you get the bracelet? (the one in your photo, I LOVE it!)