EMS

Options
Any ems workers here to better themself? Firefighters?emts,medics? Police?

Replies

• wnrobert
    wnrobert Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yep. Fire/EMT. Trying to avoid any weight gain due to the rough hours and limited availability of good food. Having (some) success at losing a little bit of weight too. Also want to build strength for lifting those bariatrics.
  • kcerrillo
    kcerrillo Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I hear you guys on the food choices. Fast food and gas stations don't leave the best choices! @mrm27 that sounds awful!! Back and knee pain out ems workers out like crazy!! How is your back now?
  • kcerrillo
    Options
    Oh my gosh falling down stairs!!? That's awful! Well any tips u can give I'd sure appreciate it as I'm just getting into the ems world.
  • kcerrillo
    Options
    Mrm27 wow u r Stinken awsome!!! Thanks for ur advice!! Alot of the fire guys I no do crossfit but it's extremely expensive for our budget so I've been doing it at home. As far as strength training that's my weakness I need to work on that big time. I've herd Alot about the emotional aspect and I no IL cope in my own way and have to learn healthy ways for that. Thanks for all ur help ur awsome! How long have u bre. Doing ems work? Where r u from?
  • wnrobert
    Options
    I've been in EMS for several years now, but just started working for a busier system this year. I was used to being in a "sit at the station and wait for a call" type of system and now I'm in a system that posts units at various locations in the city depending on past call statistics. The change has been harder on my weightloss goals. I could bring healthy food to the station and cook it, but with this system, you have to pack a sandwich or rely on microwaves/food at the hospital EMS rooms. Fast food is just a nightmare.
  • kcerrillo
    Options
    @robert man that sucks!!! Well I mean it's good your moving around more but have you ever thought of meal preping?
  • wnrobert
    Options
    Yeah, we keep a cooler in the back side compartment - so it's possible to stick something in there, but there is no guarantee that you're going to ever get to a microwave to heat it up, so it usually has to be a sandwich or something you don't mind eating cold. (I'm really not big on salads - feels like I'm eating grass). I work nights, so the hospital cafeterias are closed. I usually survive off of peanut butter crackers and the 100 calorie packs that the EMS rooms have while I'm running in and out after dropping off a patient.

As far as strength training goes - if you're in a busy system like mine - you're going to be lifting a lot of patients and you just sort of get better and better as time goes by. Not only are gyms expensive, but I find that I often lack the motivation to go after working long shifts. I do a lot of stuff on my own in the living room. Burpees, squats, planks, mountain climbers, arm dips. I've also been known to fill a backpack up with a ton of books and use that as a source of added weight (like a kettlebell, etc). The big thing is to just be conscious of your form whenever/whatever you're lifting... When I first started, because I am a woman, I felt like I needed to prove to the guys that I could lift patients without their help.. But if a patient is larger, or even if their legs are just long so they stick off the stretcher some (this makes it harder to use good form) - I've accepted that there really doesn't need to be any shame in a team lift.

What kind of system are you in? I assumed by your post that you're in EMS.
  • kcerrillo
    Options
    @wnrobert-well I just graduated emt school and acomplished my iv cert I'm looking for a job currently but my dream would be to be on a ambulance. I'm a female as well. I live in colorado and here its one of those "you have to have experience to get a job" kinda things. I respect fire so much but don't see myself doing it (running into a burning building would only happen for me if I knew someone was in there lol.freaks me out) and ya I worry about the whole being a female in this system sometimes I was the only girl in my emt class and I get along with the guys but some people judge. I don't want to get the "she's a women and she's fat and can't help thing.
  • kcerrillo
    Options
    Ps I hate salads too!!
  • kcerrillo
    Options
    @mrm27 -wow ur an inspiration! And ya the field it's self is hectic and u have to be alittle "crazy" to do it lol (come on we are alittle arnt we?? )
  • wnrobert
    Options
    I'm not sure about Colorado, but here in VA - the best way to gain experience is to volunteer.

As far as paid, usually new EMTs have better luck trying to get on with a transport company first to gain some experience. It's not nearly as exciting, but you gain a lot of knowledge about routing in your area, the facilities and you will do a LOT of lifting patients. It also helps you learn about documentation and gives you experience talking with patients and monitoring them en route. And to be honest, the transport companies here where I am actually pay better hourly rates than where I work. (This seems pretty backwards to me, but it is what it is)

As far as the female aspect -- my experience has been this: Be confident in your skills. (This requires actually knowing everything you need to know) I continually study even though I'm certified. I memorize my truck and know exactly where things are so I can find them quickly. I stay on top of restocking after calls. Being on point with this stuff will prove to whoever you're working with that you're not lazy and you can be very helpful. Also, recognizing that while you're knowledgable and you should be confident in that, you are new. There is so much that can be learned from more experienced people that they may not have taught you in class.

There is a big caution I will give you though: People have a tendency to become complacent over time and there are some things that you don't want to pick up from an older provider. Like not getting a 12-lead on a 40 year old patient who is only complaining of a headache or stomach problems. Or not always wearing gloves. Or assuming the call that came in for your frequent flier is just going to be BS like it always is. Or not staging off site for a domestic, psych or assault call. Sometimes dispatch will tell us to stage and other times they won't, but they will never be angry with us if we choose to stage and tell them that. There is a fine line between being confident and cocky on a truck. You have to find that line for yourself and not be afraid to look at a more experienced person and say "Hey, hold up, this lady is 35, she doesn't feel well and her systolic is over 150. Let's cover all our bases and get a 12-lead." If something goes wrong on the call, you need to have been on point because you and your partner will both be responsible and can be sued.

Anyways, that's a lot of rambling to simply say this: People may initially question your abilities, etc - but if you stay on top of your skills, try to be respectful when you decide to question someone and keep the truck/bags stocked and clean - those questions will resolve on their own.