Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I don't have time for all that. So I never weighed a thing. Lost all the weight I wanted by measuring spoons and cups and guestimmating for other things. It can be done. Just be reasonable.

Ok I don't get this. No time for what? Put your plate on the scale and hit the tare button? But you have time to get a measuring spoon or measuring cup? And rinse/wash them after?

I mean, a lot of people lose weight just fine not weighing or measuring (how I don't know, even after 2 years my eyeballing skills suck), but if you're going to do either, weighing is by far easier and faster.

This. I don't think weighing is necessary, but if you are going to log at all I think it makes it easier.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I switched to weighing most things rather than measuring. It's really necessary with things like nuts and seeds, fruit, and especially protein powder. When I started weighing everything and comparing to measurements I realized I was way off track on some things.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The more accurate the better but don't stress over it. If you find one way easier than another than I day do it. The important part is that you're taking.
  • va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I guess I probably should have clarified -- I am currently bulking

I can see the importance more during a cut/weight loss to be a bit more accurate with food intake (especially during the last few pounds of weight loss). But I am a very hard gainer, and I have to eat at least 4000 cal a day to gain .5 lb/week. So I figure my downfall would be to have the food underestimated, but it sounds like everyone is saying foods are normally overestimated.

I try to track my weight gain every week, measuring my waist every 2 weeks or so. It's hard because weight fluctuates so easily, even waist size, depending on a number of immediate factors. When you're only aiming for such a small amount of gain per week, it's hard to be confidently accurate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything…

I use my food scale whether I am cutting, bulking, or maintaining...
  • su14ze
    su14ze Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been using a food scale for years and love it. So easy! For example, if I make a sandwich, I put the plate on the scale with the bottom slice of bread, hit the tare button and then add 3 oz of turkey or chicken on the bread. So easy and no dishes to wash.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    va_01 wrote: »
    I guess I probably should have clarified -- I am currently bulking

I can see the importance more during a cut/weight loss to be a bit more accurate with food intake (especially during the last few pounds of weight loss). But I am a very hard gainer, and I have to eat at least 4000 cal a day to gain .5 lb/week. So I figure my downfall would be to have the food underestimated, but it sounds like everyone is saying foods are normally overestimated.

I try to track my weight gain every week, measuring my waist every 2 weeks or so. It's hard because weight fluctuates so easily, even waist size, depending on a number of immediate factors. When you're only aiming for such a small amount of gain per week, it's hard to be confidently accurate.

if you want be as accurate as possible with your bulk, then use a food scale...
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Weighing takes as much, maybe less, time than using measuring cups and spoons. o_O
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Using measuring spoons and cups, you want the amount leveled to be accurate, not heaping full. You may need a scale for weighing things like servings of meat. I am pretty good at eyeballing serving sizes after doing this for almost 3 years so I rarely use my scale, but every so often I will put my serving on the scale to see if I am close to serving size. I have containers that I use for servings and I know how much they hold, so I rarely measure anything anymore either. If you are not losing weight, it may be because the servings you are eating are more than you think and weighing and or measuring would be more accurate.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    nilbogger wrote: »
    Weighing takes as much, maybe less, time than using measuring cups and spoons. o_O
    Oh yes. I was amazed at how much less of a mess I made the first time I baked using a scale
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I only measure my milk and bread allowance. I dont count, weigh or measure anything. I love slimming world!!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    daw0518 wrote: »
    I use measuring cups more often than my food scale. I think the only things I've used my scale for recently are potatoes & sunflower seeds. I've lost pretty consistently using measuring cups - you just have to stay aware of yourself when you're using them & don't let yourself get carried away (aka, mounding/packing/overflowing).

Which is why the scale works to double check how much you're actually putting in the cups.
  • va_01
    va_01 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Which brands are the best to get/use? What do you do if you get lunch at work/resteraunts/etc and dont have one available?