Ideas for work

Options
I'm healthy eating and was wondering if anyone has any ideas for what to take to work for lunch. All we have is a microwave so I've just really been having soup but it's getting boring. Is preparation the key? The night before? Any ideas would be welcome

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Turkey chili is one of my go to meals. Leftovers are great. Sandwiches/wraps. When I used to eat deli meat, I'd make a pita w/ low sodium turkey, veggies, feta cheese, a little balsamic vinaigrette (yummy!).
  • LoloFar61611
    Options
    I like the prepacked crackers and ff tuna by bumblebee. make a sandwich the night before. make a salad and bring the dressing in a little container or store salad dressing in your fridge at work.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am a super boring person and eat salad every day. I just change up the protein I add to it and the dressing. For example one week I might have ground turkey seasoned with taco packet, salad for the dressing over lettuce with a little cheese. The next week I will have grilled tuna on a kale and brussel sprout salad, a little feta and balsamic dressing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I generally have a huge garden salad with some kind of lean protein...usually some grilled chicken, beef, pork, or fish from the night before. This time of year I eat a lot of soups and stews as well...sometimes just a big bowl of my homemade pinto beans...but always my big garden salad and then something else. I also usually have 1/2 and avocado as well.

I prepare everything the night before...I always cook extra meat or whatever for lunches later. I also buy whole hams and I carve that up and freeze a bunch and just pull out a baggie of ham whenever I'm in need of some protein to go with my lunch.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I take my Sunday and prep out my lunches for the week. Whether it's a crock pot full of chili, baking 5 sweet potatoes, etc. Portion it all out with containers, and just place in the fridge. Just grab one each day and you are good to go, no thinking involved. For example, this week has been either a 5 oz hamburger, 125 grams of sweet potato, 1 cup of green beans, 100 grams of broccoli, and 150 grams of strawberries or 5 oz of chicken, 1/2 cup black beans, 3/4 cup of frozen carrots, 100 grams of broccoli and 200 grams of blueberries.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    My go to for lunch at work is leftovers. It is really easy to portion out lunch sized meals while I'm putting away dinner and then I just have to grab it out of the fridge in the morning. When it is warmer out, I might pack some salads or deli meat and cheese roll ups if we're out of leftovers.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    In the winter I will usually prepare something in the crockpot the weekend before to take with me for the week (like a chili/soup) Skinnytaste has a lot of great recipes. In the summer time I usually have a salad with some fruit and a protein.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    +1 for chili..... it is easy to prepare and typically good for you.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Always leftovers if I have them. Salads in the summer (not a fan in the cold months), soup, chili and very, very rarely sandwiches. I work/live with my boyfriend so we ride to work together and have lunch together. I pack for both of us...he's not a big fan of sandwiches so I try to avoid those. On occasion we'll have frozen dinners and at least once a week we eat out (usually somewhere I can choose something somewhat health - Panda express, subway, etc).
  • mvshant
    mvshant Posts: 15
    Options
    i plan my meals for the week on Sunday.
  • simcox1662
    simcox1662 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have just started :) how do you portion your meals into 3rds? I seem to be eating more carbs than I should. Any advice would be great!
  • mrsmartinez99
    mrsmartinez99 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    If there is a freezer available, try SmartOnes frozen meals. They are delicious, offer a variety of meals, and are pretty cheap to stock up on. Also whole wheat bread is great to freeze and use a toaster to heat, if possible. In the morning, I keep a box of gluten free chex cereal in a cabinet and have a small cup with hot green tea. Good luck!