I wanna start cooking from scratch, need help with my grocery list!!

Options
2»

Replies

• quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    my mistakes in the past have been from trying to do too much at once. nothing worse than a fridge/pantry full of stuff and no time to cook it or you waste time cooking it and it's yucky. :-( my best successes have been to plan for when I'm pretty sure I'll have a couple of days then buy for 1-2 meals to try. and most grocery stores sell organic - even the expensive randalls near me has O organices and some other nature type label that are often on sale. I try to get stuff that can be repurposed if I dont have time to make the recipe. right now I ended up with half gallon containers of both unsweetened almond milk and fat free milk...neither is something I stock or use regularly so I've been eating cold cereal and making smoothies- have to admit it's a nice change of pace and beats wasting them like i normally would have done (still not done with them though!) but I've had veggies go to waste -esp salad stuff- just can't/don't want to eat that much salad in 3 days before stuff wilts.
    I 2nd skinnytaste for ideas- haven't made any yet but friends have and rave about the recipes they've tried.
  • lcshuey
    lcshuey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I tend to have trouble with food shopping - impulse buying junk food, etc. And I'm not a creative cook but I wanted to do better, cook more natural foods, etc. I have found eMeals helpful - they send recipes and a grocery list for the week.
  • deb3690
    deb3690 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    dhs45 wrote: »
    Get a gas grill and cook veggies, chicken and fish.

I think this is a great idea...I would suggest buying things that can be eaten raw or don't take a lot of prep...salad ingredients, raw fruit, some nuts, I'm a veggie person so zucchini and carrots can be eaten raw or cooked....lots of options! They can also be boiled grilled or steamed. Look for things you like that seem flexible....then you can think about learning more cooking approaches....a carrot bisque rather than grated carrots in the salad!
  • Ja_ja_jakeya
    Ja_ja_jakeya Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'll give you some of my favorite recipies. All of them are as equally tasty as they are healthy and fairly simple to make!
    Chicken Noodle Parmesean:
    1 9 ounce package refrigerated angel hair pasta
    4 large carrots, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    6 tablespoons purchased basil pesto
    1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
    Olive oil (optional)
    Fresh basil (optional)
    Cook pasta according to package directions.
    Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet cook carrots in 1 tablespoon melted butter over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add chicken; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until no pink remains in chicken. Add 4 tablespoons pesto; toss to coat.
    Drain pasta. Return to pan; toss with remaining butter and pesto. Serve with chicken mixture. Sprinkle pasta with Parmesan cheese and ground black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and top with basil. Makes 6 servings at 390 calories per serving!
    Fish Tostadas

1 pound fresh tilapia or cod fillets
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1 lime, halved
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    8 6 inches tostada shells
    2 cups shredded cabbage mix
    1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced (optional)
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional)
    Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
    Preheat broiler. Sprinkle fish with 1/4 teaspoon of the chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. For chili-lime cream, in bowl squeeze 2 teaspoons juice from half the lime. Stir in sour cream, garlic powder, and remaining chili powder; set aside. Cut remaining lime half in wedges for serving.
    Place fish on unheated greased broiler rack; tuck under thin edges. Place shells on baking sheet on lowest rack. Broil fish 4 inches from heat 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness, until fish flakes with fork. Break in chunks. Serve tostadas with cabbage, chili-lime cream, avocado, tomatoes, lime, and pepper sauce. Serves 4 (2 tostadas is a serving) at 278 calories per serving!
    Mocha Pastry Cups:
    1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
    1 (1.4-ounce) box fat-free, sugarfree chocolate instant pudding mix
    1 tablespoon instant espresso
    3 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
    Cooking spray
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon sugar, divided
    Fat-free whipped topping
    In a saucepan, combine milk, instant pudding mix, and instant espresso, stirring with a whisk; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; transfer to bowl. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap; chill 1-4 hours. Preheat oven to 400°. Unwrap thawed phyllo dough. Lay 1 piece on counter; lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon sugar. Lay second sheet on top of first; repeat steps with remaining phyllo. Cut dough into 8 rectangles; fit into ungreased muffin cups. Bake 10 minutes; remove from oven. Cool 10 minutes. Remove cups from pan; cool completely. Spoon pudding into cups; top each with 1 teaspoon fat-free whipped topping. Makes 8 servings at 80 calories a pop!
    I hope this helps <3
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Love this post!

I suggest chicken, fish, and ground turkey each week. I then add in maybe turkey sausage or steak every once in a while. Lots of fresh veggies and grains. Also lots of interesting seasonings such as lemon pepper or Italian seasoning. Also fresh garlic can be used in lots of meals.

I love to cook but some nights I just don't want to! I always try to have enough easy meals for those nights. Today I pulled frozen chili from the freezer for dinner that I prepared a month ago. I also keep some frozen quick things around that are as least processed as possible.
  • dawne000
    dawne000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also try to make everything from scratch. Fresh pico is a staple in my house...(tomatoes, purple onion, fresh cilantro, a dash of olive oil, lime juice and a little salt...yum!) I use this for turkey taco's, I put it on top of grilled chicken...even in place of salad dressing.
  • reblzbeckmol
    reblzbeckmol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My partner and I did just the same in September, after a bit of advice from a nutritionist we just google clean eating recipes. Over the months I've built up a bank of herbs spices etc rather than buy all at once. It's been really good for us... Basically if you can't grow it or kill it we don't eat it! With the exception of goats cheese and greek yoghurt. We also cut out all wheat based products. I'm no chef but it has been fun learning and I've lost about 16lbs "... Good luck :)
  • reblzbeckmol
    reblzbeckmol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My partner and I did just the same in September, after a bit of advice from a nutritionist we just google clean eating recipes. There is an ace site called kitchen shed.Over the months I've built up a bank of herbs spices etc rather than buy all at once. It's been really good for us... Basically if you can't grow it or kill it we don't eat it! With the exception of goats cheese and greek yoghurt. We also cut out all wheat based products. I'm no chef but it has been fun learning and I've lost about 16lbs "... Good luck :)
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You can get some great recipes from the slimming world website and mags x we cook everything from scratch with them
  • fowlerrobert57
    Options
    Buy a good electric pressure cooker it greatly reduces cooking time. You can cook dry beans in about 25 minute. Chicken fresh or frozen in 20 to 30minutes and many other things. They normally come with a basic cookbook from which you can use to form your shoppimg list. You can use the broth from the cooker as a base. Let it cool and the fats will rise to the top and can be skimmed off.
  • fiddlegal06
    fiddlegal06 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of steamed broccoli, green peas, and cauliflower for veggies (among others). I put a veggie with a casserole usually. It makes lots of leftovers and there are tons of healthy recipes on Pinterest. Cauliflower casserole is one of my favorites. I steam one frozen bag of cauliflower and mix it with salt, pepper, cooked hamburger, Parmesan, and 1/2 block fat free cream cheese and bake at 350 until golden brown!
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicole, First let me start by commending your efforts to start the year eating better! Hubby and I started to "dabble" in clean eating about 3 years ago. We already cooked a lot at home and I thought I could just flip the switch and start buying all organic products. What we discovered was a gradual phase into eating clean worked better for us. We were able to slowly add better quality, locally sourced organic foods to our diet over time. This year our goal is to purchase locally grown produce as much as possible and pasture raised meat. It's a work in progress. Think about what you eat most and start replacing those items with organic or local. Visit your local farmer's market, too.
  • babsibou
    Options
    Eating healthy is a great idea. Organic is not necessary. See if there is a local farm stand/grocery and go there. Some simple tips:

1. Stick to natural foods. lean meets, fresh veggies and fruits (frozen is ok too if flash frozen). Be careful not to overbuy, then you'll be tossing more than your cooking.
    2. Stir frying veggies is delicious and keeps much of the nutrients. Keep them crisp, you'll want Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    3. Pick up spices. You can make some easy fajitas with chicken and lime and corriander. or buy the fajita spice mix. lots of veggies! skip the wraps for less calories and do Fajita salad.
    4. If you don't mind prepping ahead... do your shopping and prepping on Sunday. Make things in portion sizes (muffin pan meatloaf and omlettes). Get some mason jars and put your weeks worth of salads together in one day. Freeze what you can (soups etc)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Start with recipes. Pinterest is an excellent place to find healthy recipes. You can both contribute to the same Pinterest board and add things that look interesting.

Another thing you can do is download the "Out of Milk" app to your phones. You can share a grocery list through the app that both of you can see and add to. That way whoever had time can stop at the store.

One of the best investments you can make for healthy eating is an herb and spice collection. Oddly, if you live near a World Market, that's an excellent place to find very inexpensive spices.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Things I generally buy for the week:
    Fresh produce
    Lots of fruit (bananas, berries, mandarins, kiwis)
    Broccoli or carrots (as a side to for example meatloaf or grilled chicken)
    Bell peppers and onions (for tomato based sauces, soups etc.)
    Zucchini and eggplant
    Green beans
    Pumpkin
    Avocado
    Tomatoes
    Lettuce

Dairy
    A few tubs of low fat quark (or yogurt)
    Cottage cheese
    Unsweetened almond milk

Protein
    Eggs
    Chicken breast
    Ground extra lean beef or turkey
    Pork if I'm feeling fancy

Things I always have in the house
    Various kinds of beans (white, kidney, black and chickpeas mainly)
    Canned tomatoes
    Mustard
    Loads of herbs and spices
    Curry pastes
    Coconut milk
    Wholegrain bread (in the freezer)
    Flour
    Oats and muesli
    Nuts
    Honey
    Stock cubes
    Vinegar, oil etc.
    Garlic
    Peas (frozen)
    Wraps

So it's a long list and of course the veg I buy will differ a bit, but having this stocked means I can cook just about anything I feel like all week: curries, tagines, meatloaf or burgers, simple grilled chicken with veg, soups, chilis.. the options are endless really.
  • tasha_998
    tasha_998 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say to start with the recipes--then you'll know what to buy. I usually menu plan for the week on Friday, then get up early to shop on Saturday (I find if I'm at the store before 7, it's sooo much better than if I get there after 8, crowd-wise).