protein daily limit...hmmm

Options
Silv3r_f0x
Silv3r_f0x Posts: 9 Member
edited January 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Ive been told by my doctor as well as a nutritionist that I should consume approx 100-120 grams of protein a day with my body weight. On the app it only shows my goal is "60" grams. How the heck can I get an addition 60 grams of protein in without going over my 1200 calorie count????? FYI, I don't like seafood, except tuna out the can. I eat chicken, turkey patties, fat free cottage cheese, yogurt, quinoa, eggs.

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Eat less carbs and more protein in its place. You could probably even eat more then 1200 calories and lose weight. I can hit 100g+ protein on around 1100, I fill in the other 600 with fun stuff. Do you eat yogurt or Greek yogurt? Greek has quite a bit more protein vs calories then regular. Pork chops is an option as well. If you're in a hurry, Quest bars are awesome. Add some cheese to your eggs. PB2 is pretty good in yogurt :P
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Those protein-filled things you like? Eat more of them, while limiting other things. Really, that's it.

Now, for the elephant in the room - why are you eating @ 1200 Calories? In other words, how did you come up with that number? My guess is - with the 100-120 g of protein recommendations - that you should probably be eating more than that in the first place. Also, if you're exercising, you'll definitely want to be eating more than 1200 Cals - which means you shouldn't have any problems.
  • Silv3r_f0x
    Options
    Eat less carbs and more protein in its place. You could probably even eat more then 1200 calories and lose weight. I can hit 100g+ protein on around 1100, I fill in the other 600 with fun stuff. Do you eat yogurt or Greek yogurt? Greek has quite a bit more protein vs calories then regular. Pork chops is an option as well. If you're in a hurry, Quest bars are awesome. Add some cheese to your eggs. PB2 is pretty good in yogurt :P

I think I need to just substitute a meal or snack with a protein shake. They have 25g in them. And yes I need to lower my carbs even more. Although I have definitely done better than before the New Year.
  • Silv3r_f0x
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Those protein-filled things you like? Eat more of them, while limiting other things. Really, that's it.

Now, for the elephant in the room - why are you eating @ 1200 Calories? In other words, how did you come up with that number? My guess is - with the 100-120 g of protein recommendations - that you should probably be eating more than that in the first place. Also, if you're exercising, you'll definitely want to be eating more than 1200 Cals - which means you shouldn't have any problems.

Thats what the weight tracker suggests if I would like to lose 2lbs a week. So far I have lost 2lbs this week. No I havent gotten back into an exercise routine since my kids just went back to school but when I do I will bump up my calorie intake to compensate for my exercising.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1200 calories is too low.

But I would aim for at least 100 g of Protein
  • TR0berts
    Options
    OK... Why are you trying to lose 2 lb per week? What are your current stats (height and weight)? The reason I'm asking is because, based on what was recommended, I'm thinking 2 lb per week may be too aggressive for you, if MFP gives you 1200 Calories.
  • Silv3r_f0x
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated. Any suggestions on the highest protein with the least amount of calories? Aside from shrimp
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    FYI, you can change MFP's macro goals by going to Home -> Goals -> Change Goals -> Custom.

Set your carb, fat and protein goals to 40%, 30%, 30%, and you'll be right on target :)
  • Silv3r_f0x
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 182lbs.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I think I need to just substitute a meal or snack with a protein shake. They have 25g in them. And yes I need to lower my carbs even more. Although I have definitely done better than before the New Year.

The only reason I suggest less carbs is to fit in more protein as needed. I definitely enjoy running high carb, personally but I also make sure I'm getting protein, fats, and fiber as a priority. Just a balancing act. Totally echoing being able to eat more to lose. Closer to goal, the slower you want weight loss to be to help aid in muscle retention. Muscle is what helps you look leaner at goal and it is much easier to keep what you have then to build it up later.
  • Silv3r_f0x
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    FYI, you can change MFP's macro goals by going to Home -> Goals -> Change Goals -> Custom.

Set your carb, fat and protein goals to 40%, 30%, 30%, and you'll be right on target :)

Hey Thanks, I have never really looked at the site online. Just my app on my phone. I will check it out and make some changes for sure.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you can work 4oz of meat into each meal somewhere, it should bring you a ton closer to your goal. 4oz of meat usually contains 22-27g of protein.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    I'm 5'5" 182lbs.

In that case, you'd likely be better off with a 1 lb per week goal, or (and this would be my "best" suggestion) take a look at this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Most people that follow this advice (I mean actually follow it) succeed.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Knowing your weight and stats would be helpful. 100-120 g a day is pretty high for a female non-athlete. The typical recommendation is .8 to 1 g per lb. of lean body mass (what your bone and muscle weigh) for someone who is more active. For example, I strength train and do cardio, I'm between 120-125 lbs., and my body fat is around 31%, so I can assume I have around 80 lbs. lean body mass. Therefore, I should eat between 64 and 80 grams of protein per day. If you are a less active female, between 46 and 56 grams per day is adequate (this is the RDA). In any case, the requirements would be based on your body size and activity level.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    Thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated. Any suggestions on the highest protein with the least amount of calories? Aside from shrimp

Chicken
    Salmon
    Tuna
  • asdowe13
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »

Hey Thanks, I have never really looked at the site online. Just my app on my phone. I will check it out and make some changes for sure.

you can use the app to change your percentages as well.
    Under the Goals tab
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    And I wanted to clarify something. The people talking about the 1200 calories/2lbs per week maybe not being enough aren't trying to be nosy or mean. The closer you get the your goal, the closer your current calories get to maintenance level. (A 300lb person can eat more to lose 2lbs/week than a 200lb person.) And MFP's lowest calorie goal is 1200. Even if you actually need fewer calories to lose 2lbs a week, so your weight loss may not be as fast as you think it will.

As far as I know, current thinking is that it is difficult, at best, to get all of the micronutrients your body needs while consuming a low (less than 1200 calorie) diet. This is why, as you get closer to goal, and your calorie goal gets closer to that 1200 calorie floor, most people adjust the weekly goal downward. It allows you more calories, and gradually gets you to maintenance without a sudden shift in what you can eat.

Also, even if you don't change your goal weekly loss goal, you should still go in to the goals section and let it recalculate. Some recommend every 10 lbs or so, so it only ends up being a gradual change of a few calories every 10lbs. (Of course, this only works if your weekly goal doesn't hit the 1200 calorie floor, which 2lbs/week for you obviously has.)

Good luck.
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you lower your fat you can raise your protein as protein only has 4 calories per gram where as fat has 9. ( carbs 4 alcohol 7)-

That being said.. The current reccomendation for a low carb(ketogenic) diet is <20g net carbs, about .7-1g per kg protein, and the rest in fat

.. I have my goal set to 1200 calories a day. You can add me and view my diary if you want. I've been dieting since 01-01 and have lost 10 lbs..(8 days) I've low carbed before and lost and maintained for years before starting nursing school and letting myself cliche my way back to being heavy. I started at 5`9 185.
  • Silv3r_f0x
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I might as well fill in the blanks, I've had weight loss surgery 2 years ago. I use to be 276lbs. And now that I am 2 years out from surgery I haven't lost much at all. In fact a recent family death as well as a huge move across the U.S. (husband is military) I had gained 11lbs in the last month. I am back on it though with eating right and tracking my progress. Now that we are settled and the kids are back in school I will take advantage of the free gym again.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Thanks for filling us in. Your situation is different from the typical person looking for weight loss, since most people who have had gastric bypass are required to stick to a lower calorie diet and have increased protein due to absorption issues. A protein shake might be a good addition for you because it will give you lots of protein