Toning Workout Plans

Options
Hello MFP friends,

I was wondering if someone might able to suggest a few workout routines/plans for toning/weight loss.

Let me give you some background info:

I started using MyFitnessPal and working out last February and since then I've lost 60 lbs (I went from a size 38/40 waist to a 31/30). My workout regimen has consisted of walking on the treadmill on a steep incline (15% at about 3.7 mph) and using a 7-minute workout app (push-ups, crunches, squats, etc.). Early on I would walk a little less steep and for about 30 minutes or so. For the past two months I have consistently walked about 40-45 minutes at 15% incline (burning around 700 calories) and doing the 7-minute workout circuit two times in a row (burning another 150) in order to push through a recent weight loss plateau.

I have continued this workout regimen because I have continued to see results until recently. Since November my weight has plateaued around the low 170's lbs; I even continued to watch my calorie intake and workout during the holiday season. My weight plateaued earlier in my weight loss journey but I pressed on and after a few weeks once again saw my weight go down. Additionally, I have completely cut out some unhealthy "diet" items from my diet such as diet soda and meal-replacement protein powders. So, as you might imagine, I am bit frustrated that I cannot achieve further results even though I am working out more and eating better than I ever have been.

Now I am beginning to think that my workout routine needs to change if I want to continue to see results. I have looked up various routines and plans but nothing has been able to fit into my schedule or utilize that equipment that is available to me. Here are the parameters I need for a plan to fit into:
- between an hour to an hour and 15 minutes.
- a good balance between cardio and strength training
- I go to a gym, so basic gym equipment is available (dumbbells, machines, and some barbells)
- I prefer body-weight exercises
- a plan that focuses on the lower abs/obliques (that's where some of my leftover weight is hiding)
- a plan that I can continue to use long-term (unlike the body beast or P90X plans)

At any rate, if anyone has any insights or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and have a happy new year!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will happen due to a calorie deficit, no exercise required.
    Cardio allows you to eat more and lose the same amount of weight and has health benefits.
    Strength training will help you retain lean muscle as you lose weight in a deficit, meaning a higher % of your weight loss will come from fat.

If you like body weight exercises, look into the programs: Convict conditioning and You are Your Own Gym. That said since you have access to barbells I would suggest doing a 3 day/week full body strenght training routine and do cardio 1-3 times a week on your non-lifting days. Good programs are stronglifts 5x5, starting strength, New Rules of Lifting.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know you say you don't want to use plans like P90X but I am using T25 and am seeing results very quickly and it is mostly cardio/abs. I will just repeat the schedule when I am done. I do some running after T25 and I am very happy with the results after only 6 weeks. Shoulders and arms are getting very toned, chest and stomach are also thinning quite nicely.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Weight loss will happen due to a calorie deficit, no exercise required.
    Cardio allows you to eat more and lose the same amount of weight and has health benefits.
    Strength training will help you retain lean muscle as you lose weight in a deficit, meaning a higher % of your weight loss will come from fat.

If you like body weight exercises, look into the programs: Convict conditioning and You are Your Own Gym. That said since you have access to barbells I would suggest doing a 3 day/week full body strenght training routine and do cardio 1-3 times a week on your non-lifting days. Good programs are stronglifts 5x5, starting strength, New Rules of Lifting.

Can't argue with any of this advice
  • sagy1cor
    sagy1cor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    swansorp09 wrote: »
    I know you say you don't want to use plans like P90X but I am using T25 and am seeing results very quickly and it is mostly cardio/abs. I will just repeat the schedule when I am done. I do some running after T25 and I am very happy with the results after only 6 weeks. Shoulders and arms are getting very toned, chest and stomach are also thinning quite nicely.

I started T25 last Wednesday (previously doing Power90, but saw NO results after a month) and I already see results. I have lost 8 pounds (I kept losing the same 5-6 pounds with Power90). I eat around 1500 calories per day and do not eat my exercise calories. I am very excited with the progress and really like Shaun T (a lot more than Tony Horton, he's just too corny for me). I love the fact that it is only 25 minutes, which at first, I didn't think it would be enough. But after those 25 minutes, I am beat! And according to my heart rate monitor, I burn about 400-500 calories in those 25 minutes! I am doing the 18 week program (Alpha, Beta and Gamma) and I am very excited about it!