Any reformed smokers?

Options

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    yeah - I figured as long as I stay out of the kitchen I'll be ok. I'm replacing smoking with knitting and other projects to keep my hands busy and I'm hoping as the weeks go by it will get easier.

Congrats - I love hearing your determination on this.

It will get easier. Keep in mind that you may get sudden intense urges to smoke, even many months after you stop and there is no longer a chemical dependence. Do not give into any seemingly harmless thought to "just have one," that you get from a friend or from an old pack you happen find in the back of a drawer or in a long unused coat pocket. Just smash them. Trust me on this :)Part of you brain is trying to deviously get you hooked again.

whoa!!! That's a great way to think about it!

• reemslaw
    reemslaw Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I quit in July 2011. At the same time I changed jobs from working on my feet all day to one sitting on my *kitten* all day. I started going to the gym in month 3 to use the extra cals (from quitting and less exercise) to build muscle and put on 2 stone over the next 2 years. I was quite underweight thought at 9 stone 5ft 10 28 year old male, lol.
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    phinners wrote: »
    I quit almost 5 years ago by reading the Allen Carrs easy way to quit smoking book. I then went on to lose about 40lbs.

Stayed the same for about 2-3 yrs though, so back on the weight loss wagon again.

A friend of mine told me about that book! I'm going to get it this weekend. She said it was boring but effective ;)

I also read this book but i read it as a PDF on the computer. I wish i still had it and i would give it to you so you wouldn't have to buy it but unfortunately i didn't need anymore so i deleted the link. Some parts were very boring but he was dead on about the way you feel smoking and it really helped me.
  • malk2651
    malk2651 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I replaced cigarettes with food. Hence why I am here. Smoke free for 5 years now though.
  • Sundance321
    Sundance321 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you do gain weight....it will look awesome...and you will look healthy and not so drawn in your face.
  • ToniaH75
    Options
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I quit 5.5 years ago. At the time I didn't gain weight, but I was also keeping within my calories and working out daily to lose weight for my wedding. I gained weight after the wedding, but that was because I relaxed my diet and exercise regime WAY too much!
    Ever since then though, I have struggled more to lose weight. When I smoked, it would curb my appetite for an hour or more. That made it easier. But regardless, I'm still extremely happy I quit, and very proud of myself.
  • dieuwket
    Options
    i quit almost a year ago, and i definitely put weight on...but that's because i started eating everything that went past my face :)

as long as you keep tracking you will be fine....quitting smoking in and of itself does not cause weight gain. Good for you!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    ToniaH75 wrote: »

OMG! Thank you so much! I'm going to start reading right now while my boss thinks I'm sitting here working hard :)

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I quit 18 months ago, cold turkey. I did put on a few pounds, but since I could afford to gain at the time, I really wasn't trying to maintain. I found tons of good advice and information at whyquit.com, in the education section, and I think it's what helped me make it stick this time.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 32. The cravings are still really bad...and I want to eat EVERYTHING! I've gained about 2 lbs, but that was also over the holidays.

I'm using the nicorette mini lozenges and they really help when a craving hits.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone there are apps that can help you out. Most of them are reducing your smoking to quitting, but I know my sister had one where she pressed a button every time she wanted a smoke.
    Sorry I do not have the app she used at the moment. I will have to find that out.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 but I cheated and am using a patch for a couple of weeks lol
  • danielleoliver2006
    Options
    After quitting my 10 year 2 pack a day addiction I will be 1 year smoke free March 6th. I gained probably 10-15 lbs since quitting but I attribute some of that to the fact that when I quit smoking I began to suffer with hypothyroidism. My doctor said that nicotine is an appetite suppressant, causing some people to gain after quitting. It is always better to gain a few lbs than to continue to smoke for the rest of your life. I found the website www.whyquit.com full of helpful information on quitting as well as Joel Spitzers videos on Youtube. Good Luck!
  • avocados9
    avocados9 Posts: 38 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I quit today. Just had it and decided I don't want to be a smoker anymore.

I keep hearing about weight gain assoicated with quitting. Was curious about what other's experieces were...did you gain? how much? how quickly did it happen (like - will I gain 5 pounds by Saturday?)? Was the gain so bad that you wanted to start smoking again?
    Hey,

I quit smoking two months ago. At first I didn't think I was gaining weight, and maybe it was a mix of staying at an all inclusive in mexico, going home for xmas, eating chocolate etc, but I gained about 10 pounds in december. I can't say for sure if it was from quitting smoking, but I say if you are worried about it, put the fork down. Eat some hard candies to curb the cravings. I quit using the patch and it seemed to work successfully for me thus far. It will get easier after the first two weeks. I actually freaked out and gave my cigarettes and lighters to somebody who smoked, and not having them around really helps.

Good luck with your quitting :)
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I quit today. Just had it and decided I don't want to be a smoker anymore.

I keep hearing about weight gain assoicated with quitting. Was curious about what other's experieces were...did you gain? how much? how quickly did it happen (like - will I gain 5 pounds by Saturday?)? Was the gain so bad that you wanted to start smoking again?

I quit july 28th 2013 after 40 years - cold turkey. I did gain some weight, but mostly i needed to lose some anyway. the trick is substitute activity where possible - I also drank a lot of water for the first little while. it gets easier as time passes (I found Cold Turkey much easier than trying to cut down or using the patch etc - all those failed for me)

just track what you eat and when you have a craving do something healthy (walk around the office, drink waster do jumping jacks really anything aside from eating something as a substitute)
    and if you have a craving drink the water wait 10 minutes and see how bad it is - cravings ebb and flow but the one sure thing is they lessen in duration and intensity so be strong

• phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Cor
    phinners wrote: »
    I quit almost 5 years ago by reading the Allen Carrs easy way to quit smoking book. I then went on to lose about 40lbs.

Stayed the same for about 2-3 yrs though, so back on the weight loss wagon again.

A friend of mine told me about that book! I'm going to get it this weekend. She said it was boring but effective ;)

its far from boring! The first page makes all sorts of wild and wonderful promises and youll think 'wtf is this sh.t" haha but its a great read. It was like he was in my head completely
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes and I was up to 3 packs a day when I finally won that battle so thank God!
    Gained 25 lbs despite spending hours everyday going to the gym. Lesser of two evils though for sure.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    If you have a smart phone there are apps that can help you out. Most of them are reducing your smoking to quitting, but I know my sister had one where she pressed a button every time she wanted a smoke.
    Sorry I do not have the app she used at the moment. I will have to find that out.

That would be great!!!

• beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 but I cheated and am using a patch for a couple of weeks lol

I used the patch, too. I figure anything that helps you stop is legit. Keep up the good work! Also, do NOT smoke with a patch on! I saw the warning and did it anyway (I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer) and it made my heart hurt for a few minutes. That was scary.