My morning shake has too much sugar

Options
Any ideas on how to reduce the sugar on my shake or just make it healthier? It has
Kale, Spinach, fiesta blend fruit, banana, apple, celery, cucumber, 5 mini carrots, muscle milk (chocolate powder) and flax. Any ideas on adding more/better veggies or foods. I LOVE this breakfast!

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do you have any underlying health issues such as diabetes? If not, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the sugar.
    ETA, Sorry, I didn't answer you question. Which ingredient(s) are adding the most sugar? Find a substitute or eliminate that ingredient(s).
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Do you have any underlying health issues such as diabetes? If not, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the sugar.

^this
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    why is it too much sugar?

If you want to reduce the sugar content, you're going to have to reduce the fruit...fruit has sugar.

Also, not familiar with "fiesta blend fruit"...does it have added sugar?

But really...you're eating an entire banana and an apple and some other fruit blend...yeah...that's going to be a lot of sugar.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    First, drinking your calories isn't good, but if you insist on doing something like that, I would suggest replacing the muscle milk with regular milk. Chocolate milk has a significant amount of sugar in it.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Add more greens, use less fruit. I'm not familiar with muscle milk, is it sweetened?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

^this

^ This

You shouldn't be concerned with natural sugars, unless your pouring 5 table spoons of sugar into your smoothies then there is nothing to worry about.
  • dfargher
    dfargher Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Does the chocolate powder you're adding have added sugar? If so, you could switch to a powder that doesn't. Other than that, it looks like all the sugar is from fruits and veggies, and I wouldn't cut those just to get the sugar number down unless there was a medical reason to do so.