Picky Eaters

Options
2»

Replies

• jsnodgrass28
    Options
    I've made smoothies with frozen bananas (peel before you freeze to make you life easier!), coconut water, spinach, and greek yogurt. Sorry I don't remember the exact recipe! I used to hate spinach, but found that if I added just a little at a time, increasing the amount over time, I got used to it. I started with so little that it probably didn't have much benefit, but it was better than nothing! :smile:

Do you like eggs? Another good place to hide some veggies. I've put spinach into a food processor so it's super fine, and again, added a little to eggs and gradually increased the amount as my palette got used to it. The pieces are so small you don't notice the texture the way you would with large leaves.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of science out there indicating that our taste preferences are based on previous experiences and familiarity. Our preferences can and do change. You can train yourself not to be a picky eater simply by slowly introducing new foods to your menu and see if you grow to like them. And, as folks said above, start sneaking those new foods in. If, for example, you don't like cooked carrots -- don't start to change your taste through forcing down a bowl of them. Instead, see if a few chunks of carrots in a bowl of veggie soup bother you. Then move forward to mixing some "carrot noodles" (long strips of carrot made with a peeler) among some regular pasta. Then make some lightly cooked carrots with honey, butter, and dill. You may find you become a carrot addict!

Of course, you may not. I have a friend who says if others tasted what he tastes when eating bell pepper, it would not be considered food. But vegetables have too many different flavors and too many different ways to cook them to write them all off as being yucky.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As a picky eater myself I often had to force myself to like things. I would eat small portions of veggies I didn't like with food that would mask their flavor. I covered some veggies in cheese. Eventually I would add more veggies and less of everything else.

I still HATE most veggies, and I mean HATE no matter how many times I try. Celery, cucumber, raw onions, raw peppers, raw tomatoes, and more. BLEH!

But I just eat the ones I love over and over again in new ways.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I hated everything at your age except chinese food, chicken fingers, french fries, cheeseburgers, pizza, poptarts, spaghetti, sugary cereral.. This is all that I did eat.

I have learned to try new things as I have gotten older and I do like a lot things I would never eaten before. I eat almost anything now except below:

I still will NOT eat: grean beans, string beans, boiled okra, chicken and dumplings, all of this is OOOOOOOOOH.