Exercising and Dieting over a month and the scale will not budge

Options
Hi there!
I could really use some advice!!

I am 32 years old, approx 5"4 (163 cm) and weigh 158 pounds (72 kg).
My ideal goal weight is to get back to what I weighed in college which was 110pounds ( 50 kg).
But honestly for right now I would be happy to start with even just a few pounds.

For the past month, I have been extremely focused on my goals, and therefore my nutrition and exercise plan.
I try to eat under 1200 cal a day, and only sometimes allow myself to eat back 100 or 200 cal when exercising.
I have had a couple cheat days around the holidays, around 3 days at 2000 calories, but that is it.
I sometimes eat less then 1000 calories a day.
I also do on average 4 hours of gym a week (cardio, weight lifting, running...).
(The only days I have not logged in my diary are due to traveling, and I would say they are nowhere above 1500 calories, for sure!)

Despite all of this, the scale will not budge. I thought it did, but turns out I was using another scale :neutral_face:
I have also taken pictures and measures because I am aware of the "gaining muscle weight" phenomenon.
My pictures give the impression that I have slimmed down a bit the first week ( before even joining MFP and counting calories!) and then slowed down.
It it hard to tell for me if I am taking accurate measurements, but I cannot say I notice a striking difference in any of my measures.

What am I doing wrong?!!
I have a hard time believing this could be muscle gain, because I do not see the measures moving.
I have of course heard of thyroid problems, slow metabolism..etc but I am also skeptical that I could possibly be affected by those since I am only in my early 30's!
I am even considering "crash dieting" ( GPS vegetarian diet or shakes perhaps?) for a couple days or weeks just to get the engine starting!! What do you think?
Does anyone have a similar experience?
Any advice or tips would be oh so appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Best***
:smile:
Lily

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Well, with your diary closed it's going to be hard to give specific advice. I would definitely suggest not crash dieting and I would also suggest that you stop eating less than 1000 calories a day. It's hard to get enough nutrients in at that level and vitamin/mineral deficiencies could lead to problems.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • lilystars
    lilystars Posts: 36 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh I apologize for the closed diary, I thought it was open... I will do that right away!
    Thank you Dianne for all of these tips:)
    Indeed I do use measuring cups, and I should invest in a digital food scale.
    Generally speaking, when I eat back the exercise calories, it is under 50% of the earned calories, but maybe I will refrain from doing that all together.
    However that does bring us to under 1000 calories.. perhaps thats just what I should be eating?
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    The first thing that stands out to me is that your protein and fat are both very low. I have to ask is there a medical reason you're keeping those so low?
  • lilystars
    Options
    Ooo, well I must admit that in my frustration, I haven't been eating much besides veggies and fruit for the two previous days hoping that that might kickstart the process (I know I am exposing myself to getting scolded here) ...
    But I think that you will find that besides these recent days, the overall loggs of the past month have more balanced macros ?...
  • arsc02
    arsc02 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you don't enough calories your body goes into starvation mode and stores what calories you do eat. You should eat a minimum of 1200 calories and have a varied healthy diet, check out your nutriion chart, and of course exercise which is cardio and some strength work. Remember to switch up exercises as your body gets use to what you do. Good luck
  • blueeyesgrace
    blueeyesgrace Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    When I started the heavy part of my weight loss journey, it took a little over a month for me to really start to see a difference. Biggest advice I can give you is eat the NECESSARY amounts of calories each day. Each day will be different based on if it's a workout or nonworkout day. If you essentially starve yourself by eating too little, then the body will automatically store the fat and not let it burn off. You have to feed your body energy for it to be able to burn off the fat. Also, if you have kickstarted exercising, remember that muscle will weigh more than fat. So you may be losing fat, but you are gaining muscle. That will cause the scale to not budge.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I had only looked through your diary through January and they were all low, but you're right. Your macros were better balanced in December. You also missed quite a few days of logging in December (I did too, thanks to the holidays) so you may just be seeing the last of the effects from holiday overeating. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale?
  • arsc02
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise?
  • lilystars
    Options
    Hey there!
    Yes I have of course many times heard of starvation mode, but that isn't that quite debated still ? Because one also hears of many clinically approved low calorie diets...
    Of course this is not what I wish for, especially since I love to eat!
    But I do feel like sticking to 1200 calories, and mixing up my exercise routine, using cardio, and strength training just isn't working .. I mean, shouldn't the scale show at least a tiny loss now after over one month? I remember in my twenties losing easily & or 2 kilos a week ...
  • arsc02
    Options
    I understand what your saying and empathise with you. Have you had your thyroid checked to rule that in or out?
  • lilystars
    edited January 2015
    Options
    arsc02 wrote: »
    What are you doing for exercise?

I have a nice gym card, so I am lucky enough to have a lot to choose from, I go a lot to Body combat ( cardio) , Body Pump ( weights), crosstraining, cycling, and sometimes Pilates, Yoga, Abs...
    During 2 weeks of December I was on holiday though, so away from the gym. However I made it a point during this time to exercise almost every day ( or every other day) for 1 hour, either running or using an eliptical machine...
  • mohawkRN
    mohawkRN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    at 158 lbs, you probably need to eat more. Try aiming for 1500 calories instead. And add some lean meats and whole grains to your diet. MFP does a nice job of showing when you're eating too many carbs and too much sugar, or not enough protein.
  • Thewolfhoof
    Options
    Are you eating the same thing every day? Consistency is the key.
  • lilystars
    Options
    When I started the heavy part of my weight loss journey, it took a little over a month for me to really start to see a difference. Biggest advice I can give you is eat the NECESSARY amounts of calories each day. Each day will be different based on if it's a workout or nonworkout day. If you essentially starve yourself by eating too little, then the body will automatically store the fat and not let it burn off. You have to feed your body energy for it to be able to burn off the fat. Also, if you have kickstarted exercising, remember that muscle will weigh more than fat. So you may be losing fat, but you are gaining muscle. That will cause the scale to not budge.

Thanks for the advice, I was kind of hoping to hear from someone who shared a similar experience and for who it worked out! I do feel a bit "dryer", less "puffy" I guess, and my face is slimmer but overall like I mentioned above, I am also measuring myself, and I can't say I've dropped centimeters ( or inches ;)!...

How long would you say it took you to see a noticeable loss? And did that mean exercing even more ( like 1 to 2 hours a day?)
  • trianglevision
    trianglevision Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I once spent a month burning 400-500 calories a day with rigorous excercise and only ate about 1200-1300 calories a day. I gained 5lbs that month.

I'm pretty sure my body was just really stressed out and it was storing water or something...I did not feel good...I wouldn't do that again.

Once I stopped working out so hard I think my body finally relaxed and I started losing weight.

Anyway, I wouldnt eat less than 1200 a day, especially if you are working out.

If you've only been trying for a couple of months and your not losing weight then I would say your body is in shock and you need to give it a rest. If it's been longer than that then maybe you should see a doctor about thyroid/hormone issues?

I think those juice fasts/liquid diets or whatever are fine for a few days for detox but you shouldn't work out when you do those- your body will just freak out again.
  • lilystars
    Options
    I had only looked through your diary through January and they were all low, but you're right. Your macros were better balanced in December. You also missed quite a few days of logging in December (I did too, thanks to the holidays) so you may just be seeing the last of the effects from holiday overeating. How long has it been since you last saw a drop on the scale?

I am quite sure the days that weren't logged in December were under 1500 cal , but you could be right, I allowed myself some excess at that time ( just look at Dec 31st oh my goodness! ;) ) As for the scale, well, I haven't noticed a loss... at all... ( sigh)
  • JetlaggedExpat
    JetlaggedExpat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Going in a different direction, I'd suggest measuring yourself (arm, thigh, waist, hips, bust) and keeping a record of the results. I work with a trainer who does this for me every few weeks and the last time I started to get weepy about not losing weight she pulled out my chart and said "well, the scale's the same but you've lost an inch and a half off your hips and an inch of your waist." Muscle really does weigh more than fat.
  • lilystars
    Options
    arsc02 wrote: »
    I understand what your saying and empathise with you. Have you had your thyroid checked to rule that in or out?

Oh gosh... do you really think thats necessary? I guess I will go see a nutritionist or something eventually if all else fails.. But I was kind of hoping not to fail first....
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    lilystars wrote: »

Thanks for the advice, I was kind of hoping to hear from someone who shared a similar experience and for who it worked out! I do feel a bit "dryer", less "puffy" I guess, and my face is slimmer but overall like I mentioned above, I am also measuring myself, and I can't say I've dropped centimeters ( or inches ;)!...

How long would you say it took you to see a noticeable loss? And did that mean exercing even more ( like 1 to 2 hours a day?)

If you want my story, my plateau lasted for two months in the middle of my weight loss. I was exercising twice a day, eating 1200-1400 calories, none of my exercise calories back, and I was depressed, moody, hangry, didn't have the energy to get through my workouts, and just generally not okay. I was also getting lax on my logging and moving less since I was tired and retaining water since I was trying to do so much exercise on so little food. I bumped my calories back up to 1500, then up to 1600, and realized how not okay I'd been. I was able to push through my workouts better and log better and had fewer cheats. The weight started to come back off within a week.

Don't assume that just because we're not all telling you our plateau stories we haven't been through one ourselves.

• lilystars
    Options
    Are you eating the same thing every day? Consistency is the key.

No, I am consistently inconsistent I suppose... Calories can range from 900 to 2000 at extremes, and somedays I eat fish, others...well other stuff... What do you recommend?