Ex-NCAA football player, tied down with studying, studying, and more studying ...and research

Options
I used to be in prime shape all throughout my life, especially in high school and college. I'm 6'0 and in college I was a solid 225 of pure muscle had incredible combine results for my size (38.5 vertical, 4.58 in 40 yard dash, and a 4.07 pro agility). I played inside linebacker in college and both, fullback and inside linebacker in high school. Was all state 1st team and 1st team super state in Nebraska for linebacker. Well after my redshirt freshman year I had about 6 major concussions with the last one being very serious to where I was hospitalized for days and then was told I cannot play football or contact sports anymore. Football was my life, but beside that I also had very ambitious goals in school, I double majored in medicinal chemistry and biotechnology throughout college and received both of those BS degrees. After football ended for me I got down to 208, most likely because I lost a large amount of muscle mass because I wasn't able to do any physical activity for a few months. Well then I never really returned to a workout routine, it was always on and off, but this past year had me at 237 lbs this past Sunday. I said enough is enough. Plus my friends do not think I'm capable of losing 29 pounds in 60 days. It's been 4 days and I'm already down 10 pounds, but I know the first 10 are the easiest. I don't just want to do it to prove them wrong, I wanna be healthy, in shape, and feel better about myself. I saw that my mood correlated highly with my weight. Glad to be here and I'm ready to kick some *kitten*!

Replies

• ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    That's a lot for 60 days -- what's your plan?
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on the 10lbs! It's a start and you can continue to drop as long as you stay committed and focused. I don't think you lack either with your previous football devotion, as well as, the completion of those impressive degrees. You got this!

In high school and college I was in the best shape of my life - 130/140lbs, for a girl of 5'3 that sounds heavy, but I was mostly muscle. From a young age I played soccer and danced until my early 20s, so I was always in great athletic shape. Then came full time desk job and life. Then came laziness. I have put on over 20lbs of fat and it's time to lose it.

In addition to losing weight, I am looking forward to being athletic again. Entering my first 5k Feb 21st. I'm working to work my way to marathons.

Good luck with your challange. You'll crush it! :)
  • jessieandcharlotte78
    Options
    You, more than most, are prepared and can do it! You know how to push your self physically and mentally! Good luck!!
  • dnev1551
    dnev1551 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ellie0213 wrote: »
    That's a lot for 60 days -- what's your plan?

Eating very healthy. Low carbs, high protein, portion control, and I burn about 1500 calories a day with swimming, running, and weight lifting. I eat 1500 calories at the most, it's all about portion control: salad and cottage cheese before every meal (besides breakfast), salmon or chicken breast for dinner, turkey sandwich at lunch, Greek yogurt for snacks in between lunch and later after dinner. Then I take omega-3 FAs to help tone up a bit and keep my brain healthy. I also use lumosity and Fitbit :) . That's the plan. I usually try to increase my cardio by 2 minutes each day as well.
  • dnev1551
    Options
    Awesome job on the 10lbs! It's a start and you can continue to drop as long as you stay committed and focused. I don't think you lack either with your previous football devotion, as well as, the completion of those impressive degrees. You got this!

In high school and college I was in the best shape of my life - 130/140lbs, for a girl of 5'3 that sounds heavy, but I was mostly muscle. From a young age I played soccer and danced until my early 20s, so I was always in great athletic shape. Then came full time desk job and life. Then came laziness. I have put on over 20lbs of fat and it's time to lose it.

In addition to losing weight, I am looking forward to being athletic again. Entering my first 5k Feb 21st. I'm working to work my way to marathons.

Good luck with your challange. You'll crush it! :)

Thank you! I know you will crush your goals as well! Good luck!
  • dnev1551
    Options
    You, more than most, are prepared and can do it! You know how to push your self physically and mentally! Good luck!!

Thank you so much! I hope you achieve your fitness and life goals as well! Thanks for the kind words!