beyond frustrated

Options
I realize I have already come so far (losing little over 40 pounds since october) and I can not give up and I wont let myself give up, but Its so frustrating because I feel like I bust my butt in the gym and work so hard but im still very out of shape!

Last night I had a session with my trainer we only worked out 20 minutes before i got sick and was so dizzy i thought i was going to pass out!

Replies

• MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the huge accomplishment of losing 40 lbs! That's a big deal, and you should definitely be proud of it.

Kudos to you for working out with a trainer - that shows serious motivation and persistence. But if it were me, I'd talk to him/her and see if your workout can be modified a bit to make it more bearable. If you are getting sick and dizzy when exercising, you aren't likely to want to continue.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming a day, and what is your current weight / height?

Is it possible that you aren't nourishing your body adequately for the work you are asking it to do?

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • kassiesauntie
    Options
    after our work out we sat outside and talked about modifying my work outs a bit, but im really hesitant to do that because i feel like then it will never get easier
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a doctor? Just to be sure you don't have an underlying health condition?
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Consider whether you are fueling your workouts properly.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Try eating something carby before a workout to see if its maybe a blood sugar thing? and then a good dose of protein after. and lots of water, of course.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It happens to all of us! I am actually quite a fit person (I participate in adventure races and have been training hard for a few years now) but I still get super puffed and sometimes get the "vomit burps" during a Personal Training session. They are there to push you to your limits! Don't feel bad, it just means you're going at your hardest which some people do not do! You go girl!

(I'll add here that I actually have vomited during workouts in the past. And I know my trainer, who is my sister, has too. It's not pleasant but it means you're pushing yourself hard, so don't beat yourself up about it! Just take a rest and a sip of water)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    How many calories are you consuming a day, and what is your current weight / height?

Is it possible that you aren't nourishing your body adequately for the work you are asking it to do?

^ exactly my thought. Perhaps you aren't eating enough calories to sustain your level of effort in the gym. If so, then no, you won't be able to improve your conditioning like you could if you ate sufficient calories.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

^ exactly my thought. Perhaps you aren't eating enough calories to sustain your level of effort in the gym. If so, then no, you won't be able to improve your conditioning like you could if you ate sufficient calories.

I was thinking this same thing when I read your post. After 60lbs lost I hit a plateau and actually increased my calories to accommodate my workouts which were pretty strenuous. It seemed like I was eating enough, but when it came to running and weights, it was not sufficient. These two posters make a very good point.

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I was seeing a dietitian and she said "no less than 1900 calories" Well she was fat and did not understand my training.
    My pharmacist told me to see Brian a Sports Nutritionist who worked at the pharmacy.
    He worked out "No more than 1700 calories average per week, more when over 500 calories training a day, less when less than 500 calories training, NO training then 1700 food calories"
    In 2 weeks I have LOST over 1.5 kg LOST 1.2% BF and GAINED 2% muscle
    He told me to have 1 slice granary toast + banana before cardio in morning and then have breakfast, wait one hour and do weights and then have protein shake.
    Prior to him I was getting up, doing cardio on empty stomach and burning glycogen in muscles NOT fat, then having breakfast.
    I was a body builder for years and work out only at home now, much easier, I am 66 and happy with my progress.
  • kassiesauntie
    Options
    ive had a full blood panel done and everything comes back normal so im perfectly healthy other than being so overweight
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

^This. And 40 lbs is on the high end, depending on the actual dates. If it's 14 weeks, that's almost 3 lbs/week. If you mean since the end of October, that's closer to 4 lbs/week, so that could also be an indicator (to me) that you not be fueling your body enough. Take a look at your calorie and macro goals, along with your fitness routine and make sure you're doing this in a healthy way.

• kassiesauntie
    Options
    im eating between 1250 and 1300 calories a day sometimes on a "bad" day i eat 1500 but thats pretty rare
  • kassiesauntie
    Options
    i started eating better and exercising on a regular basis october 4th 2014
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Lestan48 wrote: »
    I was seeing a dietitian and she said "no less than 1900 calories" Well she was fat and did not understand my training.
    My pharmacist told me to see Brian a Sports Nutritionist who worked at the pharmacy.
    He worked out "No more than 1700 calories average per week, more when over 500 calories training a day, less when less than 500 calories training, NO training then 1700 food calories"
    In 2 weeks I have LOST over 1.5 kg LOST 1.2% BF and GAINED 2% muscle
    He told me to have 1 slice granary toast + banana before cardio in morning and then have breakfast, wait one hour and do weights and then have protein shake.
    Prior to him I was getting up, doing cardio on empty stomach and burning glycogen in muscles NOT fat, then having breakfast.
    I was a body builder for years and work out only at home now, much easier, I am 66 and happy with my progress.

Each person is different. I weigh 120, 5'6 and could not maintain my level of training on so few calories. Since I have very little extra body fat, I can't afford to go that low. Not to mention, my performance suffers when I don't get my cals high enough.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    im eating between 1250 and 1300 calories a day sometimes on a "bad" day i eat 1500 but thats pretty rare

I'm making a lot of assumptions about your current weight, but that seems to me to be way too low...especially if you're active in the gym. I would expect you should be eating closer to at least 1800 daily.

What you're calling a "bad" day, I would call "closer to optimal".

(All of this assumes that you are accurately weighing and measuring your food.)

ETA: I would consider bumping your daily calories up a few hundred and seeing how you feel. Don't let a temporary slight scale increase/stall deter you either as a slight uptick would be entirely normal given how little you're currently eating. See how you feel with this. I suspect you'll feel a lot better...and you'll continue making progress towards your goals.

All that said, I'm not a doctor...or a personal trainer. I'm just a guy who has witnessed dozens...no, hundreds of people struggling with the same issues you're describing whose solution was what I described.

Best of luck.
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts from a runner...

#1. Check your schedule to make sure you're giving yourself rest days. It sounds valiant to work yourself to the bone day after day, but it actually doesn't help long term. Workouts and training literally tear your body down. In the running community, we talk about rest days (non-running) and cutback weeks (where all of training is reduced by about 25-50%). Rest days and cutback weeks give your body time to rebuild. It feels lazy... emphasis on feels. Rest days and cutback weeks are anything but lazy. You're giving your body the energy it needs to rebuild. It's like letting a concrete foundation cure for a while before you try to build on top of it. The cool thing with your body is that when it rebuilds, it rebuilds stronger than it was before. That's the basic principle of exercise and training: Workouts tear the body down, and the body responds by rebuilding stronger. Rest days and cutback weeks give your body extra energy to rebuild more effectively. Make sure you're resting adequately.

#2. As others said, make sure you're fueling enough before your workout. I know I have a strong tendency to want to wait until after I've logged a workout before I let myself consume any of the calories burned. I've learned the hard way that it's not a good habit. Your body needs calories to burn calories. You need to make sure you're not going to dip below your basal metabolic rate (the calories your body needs to do basic things like breathing and pumping blood) during your workout. That's a guaranteed way to make your body flip out. When I ran a half marathon, I knew that feeling weak, lightheaded, and nauseous was a sign that I should have eaten one of my energy foods a few miles back. Thankfully, I had stuff that would kick in quick, but it's so important to make sure you fuel your workouts. If you're worried that eating before a workout will make you queasy, make sure you give yourself enough time to digest (about an hour, if you can) and try different foods. I know everyone is different, but a lot of runners have something like a banana and a small bowl of oatmeal or piece of toast about an hour or so before a long run and feel fine.

#3. This is a big one: Know that even the most elite athletes have days like that. So many times, I've read articles and books and interviews with Olympic athletes, and I can't tell you how often I hear them encourage others by talking about their bad days. Kara Goucher is one of the top female runners in the US. She's tough as nails, and she openly talks about days when she went to go for a run and ended up scrapping it after just a few miles. The woman runs marathons at the Olympic level, and she has days where she just can't do a few miles. It happens to absolutely everyone. Don't let it get you down.

"Strength does not come from physical capacity - it comes from an indomitable will." - Ghandi

Best of Luck!
    Michele
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

I'm making a lot of assumptions about your current weight, but that seems to me to be way too low...especially if you're active in the gym. I would expect you should be eating closer to at least 1800 daily.

What you're calling a "bad" day, I would call "closer to optimal".

(All of this assumes that you are accurately weighing and measuring your food.)

I've been speaking offline with the OP and completely agree with Jof... the drastic calorie drop is contributing to the weight loss, yes, but it is putting her body under a lot of stress.

In situations like this, where you have a higher amount of weight to lose, don't forget that you also have to allow your mind and emotions time to adjust to the losses. Sometimes a slower loss is easier on your body, mind, and soul - and way easier to sustain in the long run.

Congrats, OP, on your dedication to change - but I encourage you to take your time. :heart:
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Congrats on how you are doing so far. You may not need to get as much intensity in your workouts to see progress. Some of my workouts make me see stars, but I have yet to vomit, and have lost almost 110 lbs (20 before MFP). It takes time to build muscle, but it is worth the time.

I get frustrated with myself, and tired, and my progress is not linear. I try to get motivation by my increased range of motion, higher energy levels, overall faster jogging speed (does not apply to all jogs), higher weights used in resistance exercise, etc. It never seems like enough in the moment, but when I look back, I've made a lot of progress.

I'm not happy with the way I look, but I have lost 13 inches in my waist and 16 in my hips, and I really believe that the next 40+ pounds will make a big difference.

You are doing a great thing for yourself, and you will see amazing returns on your investment. Stay strong :)
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I ran into a similar issue. My night workouts with my trainer are good, but my morning/afternoon ones stink and we have had to bail out of a few sessions halfway through because I was so light-headed.

Figured out it was all my diet. At first I just flat-out wasn't eating enough before the work outs. After that, I was eating more but was so focused on getting protein in before our session that I neglected to get any carbs, resulting in no energy.

Keep it up and you'll get there!