Night time snacks

Options
I cook dinner around 6 every night because the kids have to go to bed around 7 in order to get up for school. But then by 830, I am wanting a snack. What are some healthy nighttime snack that will fill you up, but not hinder your day of calorie deficit? What do you snack on later in the evening? Thanks!!

Replies

• alyviasteenhoek
    alyviasteenhoek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i love almonds! They are so filling and if you get the salted ones, they fulfill my savory craving..haha.
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Soon2BeMrsSherriff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have heard that those are really good for you actually. I do like almonds, I might have to grab some and give it a whirl.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You can really eat whatever fits your available calorie and maronutrient budget. Almonds are delicious and good for you but being that they are relatively high in fat they are also calorie dense.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    2.5 hours after dinner you are hungry? Are you sure it's actual hunger? Or is it boredom?

I would first try drinking a big glass of water. Often people mistake thirst for hunger. Wait 10-15 minutes after drinking the water. If you are still hungry, grab a snack.

I eat whatever fits into my macros and calorie goal but my usual nighttime snack is popcorn, a banana, or 2 rice cakes with Peanut Butter & Co. dark chocolate dreams PB.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I hate to ask a question with a question, but are you sure that it is hunger or are you just bored or used to snacking then?

I am learning that sometimes, it is just a hard habit to break; late night snaking (LNS), that is. In fact, I added a 'meal' for late night snacking in hopes it would prevent me from LNS (and it has).

Perhaps replacing the LNS for something else will be helpful (just going to bed, reading a book, turning off the TV, etc.)

If that does not work, I have eaten:
    - 100 cal popcorn
    - veggie staws
    - veggies (peppers or celery) with hummus
    - pretzels with guacamole

For me, it's about the crunch and the perceived portion.

Good luck (and add me as a friend if you like)!
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Options
    I am pretty sure it is real hunger. I constantly am drinking water. Like last night I was hungry, starving actually around 9, and I had my 32oz cup of water there and drank half of it before I gave into the food. I only had a small portion of quinoa though, so it wasn't bad, but the hunger is crazy! Maybe I didn't eat enough dinner(trying to cut the portions too)
  • CKMillson
    CKMillson Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was told a great way to know if it true hunger or boredom/emotional/habitual eating is to answer this question. Do you feel like eating a meal (meat, veggies, starches etc) or do you feel like a chocolate bar or chips? I have added a meal to track my evening snacks so I can see their impact and plan for it.
  • zericaaaaa
    zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I always save a good chunk of calories for the evening when I'm watching my show on Netflix ;) I used to alwaysssss binge the most while mindlessly watching tv so this way I can still have my 'binge' without doing any real damage. If you like breakfast foods, I would totally suggest an eggwhite omelet. 9tbsp of egg whites + a piece of cheese + veggies and spices= 160-175 calories and will totally fill you up!
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I cook dinner around 6 every night because the kids have to go to bed around 7 in order to get up for school. But then by 830, I am wanting a snack. What are some healthy nighttime snack that will fill you up, but not hinder your day of calorie deficit? What do you snack on later in the evening? Thanks!!

Night time is dangerous. I try to guzzle water, take my sleeping pill to beat my hunger. If I stay up late I am screwed.

• Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Options
    No, I do not want a full meal, but my stomach was seriously growling. LOUD! LOUD enough my fiance told me to get something to eat. Lol but you are right, maybe I should try to go to bed earlier. That would help tremendously!
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I always brush my teeth when I'm done eating for the night, so I'm not tempted to snack.
  • labradorlover03
    labradorlover03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i have chocolate every evening as long as it fits my cals/macros, this evening was nutella with rice cakes and a large glass of wine:)
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You can really eat whatever fits your available calorie and maronutrient budget. Almonds are delicious and good for you but being that they are relatively high in fat they are also calorie dense.

^This. You've gotten the best answer possible. Whether it's boredom, real hunger, whatever - as long as it fits your caloric and macronutrient goals, eat whatever you want. Eating late won't hinder weight loss. Over eating will hinder weight loss. 300 calories of cookies or 300 calories of sweet potato is still 300 calories, no matter how "healthy" you deem the snack. Calories in vs out for weight loss/gain.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Air-popped popcorn and a half-dozen peanuts.

Glutino chocolate wafers. I'm not trying to go gluten-free or anything, but these are delicious and light. Two bars are only 80 calories.

http://www.glutino.com/ca-en/products/cookies-and-wafers/wafers/chocolate-wafers/
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    My trainer suggested high protein snacks (chicken breast. Low fat cottage cheese) probably the best choices.

Honestly my night ritual now is usually carbs (a few light beers) I haven't gained weight...it really is calories in calories out.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I usually save a few hundred (300-500) calories for late night snacking. It could be anything, an apple, PB&J sandwich with a cup of milk, piece of cake with milk, bowl of oatmeal or cereal. As long as it fits your calorie goal and hopefully your macros there's no need to worry.
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. What are macros? Good luck everyone! Thx 4 your help
  • Salem291
    Salem291 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    for me it is always going to be 3 choices fruits salad or 10 almonds or a cup of fat free yogurt ^_^
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. What are macros? Good luck everyone! Thx 4 your help

http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm

Macronutrients are nutrients that provide calories or energy. Nutrients are substances needed for growth, metabolism, and for other body functions. Since “macro” means large, macronutrients are nutrients needed in large amounts. There are three macronutrients:

Carbohydrate
    Protein
    Fat