Puffed VS Asthma

Options
When I first started my journey, I could only run 1 minute before needing to stop. All though I've lost a lot of weight, I've only recently increased that time running to 4 minutes.

I really want to play soccer this year, starting around March. Obviously I'll need to be rather fit.

My problem is that as a child I always suffered from asthma ( I don't use an inhaler anymore), and because of this I have no idea how to distinguish between being puffed and struggling to breathe due to asthma. Can someone explain to me how I should know when to stop running? What does it feel like to be just out of breathe from running too much? How can I tell if I'm struggling to breathe due to asthma or just pushing hard?

Thanks (:

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Don't know how you can tell the difference - I've never had asthma. But I can tell you that you should not be running fast enough that you are out of breath, regardless. Go as slow as you need to so that you can breathe well enough to hold a conversation. If that's a jog/shuffle that's no faster than a walk, then that's what you should do.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I had asthma as a kid, mainly just during sports and physical activity and, like you, don't have to use an inhaler anymore. For me, the difference is in how easy it feels to be able to inhale air. When I'm just out of breath from running or whatever, yes, I'm breathing hard and taking deep breaths, but the actual act of inhaling doesn't feel strained or blocked and my chest doesn't feel tight. The air is coming freely. When my asthma acted up as a kid, not only would I be out of breath but it would actually feel difficult to inhale, and I could feel my airway tighten up.
  • xSuperNova
    xSuperNova Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had asthma as a kid, mainly just during sports and physical activity and, like you, don't have to use an inhaler anymore. For me, the difference is in how easy it feels to be able to inhale air. When I'm just out of breath from running or whatever, yes, I'm breathing hard and taking deep breaths, but the actual act of inhaling doesn't feel strained or blocked and my chest doesn't feel tight. The air is coming freely. When my asthma acted up as a kid, not only would I be out of breath but it would actually feel difficult to inhale, and I could feel my airway tighten up.

This is basically what still happens to me. I stop running when my throat becomes too tight. This is why I'm confused. I stop running due to asthma, yet my fitness is increasing. I don't really understand how that works
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can tell if my hubby has pushed too hard when his lips turn blue. His fitness instructor scolded him and told him to keep his puffer handy. Can you get a puffer to have on hand just in case?
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have asthma induced by exercise, have since 5th grade, but had stopped using an inhaler after only a year or so (mostly becasue my mom didn't believe it was asthma). When I started working out last year, I realized that I REALLY needed that medication, and my doctor also started me on cingulair (sp) to help prevent attacks. Just being out of breath( say from an uphill walk), I would recover after a couple minutes, but with an asthma attack it becomes difficult to get a breath in and lasts for an hour or more, and I would feel "off" for the rest of the day. My throat gets tight, and I make I high pitched wheezing noises with each difficult breath. Now as long as I take my cingulair, I can do random jogs/runs for a few minutes with no major issues. If I plan on exercising for more than 10 minutes I take two doses from my inhaler, and by the time I am cooled down and my heart rate is a bit lower I am breathing 100% normal
  • xSuperNova
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I can tell if my hubby has pushed too hard when his lips turn blue. His fitness instructor scolded him and told him to keep his puffer handy. Can you get a puffer to have on hand just in case?

I've never pushed that hard. I stop when I feel my breathing getting tight. I have puffers but they don't help with exercise related asthma for me :(
  • xSuperNova
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    I have asthma induced by exercise, have since 5th grade, but had stopped using an inhaler after only a year or so (mostly becasue my mom didn't believe it was asthma). When I started working out last year, I realized that I REALLY needed that medication, and my doctor also started me on cingulair (sp) to help prevent attacks. Just being out of breath( say from an uphill walk), I would recover after a couple minutes, but with an asthma attack it becomes difficult to get a breath in and lasts for an hour or more, and I would feel "off" for the rest of the day. My throat gets tight, and I make I high pitched wheezing noises with each difficult breath. Now as long as I take my cingulair, I can do random jogs/runs for a few minutes with no major issues. If I plan on exercising for more than 10 minutes I take two doses from my inhaler, and by the time I am cooled down and my heart rate is a bit lower I am breathing 100% normal

My doctor also gave me a puffer when I told him about my exercise. He said it wouldn't help during exercise but might help a little. It doesn't really do anything. The asthma comes when running. Then I stop and walk fast for about 4 minutes and my breathing goes back to completely normal and then I run again. This is why I get confused between puffed and asthma. But my throat definitely gets very tight and I struggle to get in air
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You may need to try a different puffer medication, as well as something that you take daily to help prevent symptoms. It's worth asking about
  • bklynite
    Options
    I have asthma and I notice that my lungs feel like they are burning and I start to wheeze if I get to a certain point. However, I found that with my exercise I can go longer in runs and climbing steps. My lungs get used to the exertion and I can go longer. I have always had asthma so I can't tell you what it feels like for a regular person to be winded. My asthma flairs up during exercise like running, when I am sick with a cold and when an allergy is triggered. I would listen to my body and gradually increase my activity and see how much farther I can get without needing to stop. Stopping isn't a bad thing, just continue with you catch your breath. No being able to breathe means that you can get the oxygen to the muscles that need it the most. Listen to your body.