Eat your veggies, people!!

Options

Replies

• TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    While some people do well with other people pushing them, most of us don't. We grew up in an environment where our eating habits were always a source of judgement from others. "Should you be eating that?" "You don't need to get a second plate, do you?"

With that mentality, having the guts to log everything you eat is a big deal. Having the guts to make your food diary public is a giant step. Don't ruin that momentum by nitpicking over vegetables.

Well said. The only time I give my constructive feedback for my friends' diary is when they actually say they felt bad about something. Otherwise, I keep my thoughts to myself besides words of encouragement. I'm just glad they're open enough to log in here everyday to post their food intake honestly. Many people will not log when they feel they're eating unhealthily.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    While some people do well with other people pushing them, most of us don't. We grew up in an environment where our eating habits were always a source of judgement from others. "Should you be eating that?" "You don't need to get a second plate, do you?"

With that mentality, having the guts to log everything you eat is a big deal. Having the guts to make your food diary public is a giant step. Don't ruin that momentum by nitpicking over vegetables.

P.S. You can call them vegetables or veggies. You can make them sound fun. You can arrange them on a plate with pretty colors. But they still mostly taste like crap! HAHA!
    Eat em if you like em, try to eat em if you don't, but don't make eating a chore.

I agree with this post. While I love vegetables..most just steamed with nothing added.........practically no one else I know does. And I think it's being too nosy and intrusive to pick at other people's diaries. Do you honestly believe that they don't know that they should eat vegetables and your suggestion will somehow change their lives? I'm pretty sure they're already trying and if they're not eating them....either A.) they don't like them or B.) don't have access/can't afford fresh vegetables. I don't like to give unsolicited advice
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    so how do we support those, who, while maybe not nutritionally sound at this point have made great strides in just controlling how much they've eaten (even if it's the same old crap). I often feel guilty for not wanting to send a mixed message or sound like the naysayer on the status, but I don't know what or how to tell them what I'm thinking (which is usually along the lines of what you said and more), like "every meal at a reastaurant? really?" or "Frozen pizza again?" I mean, yes ideally we want them (and us) to be healthy but just eating a fixed number of calories and logging it everyday is a huge step for some people.

Help me grow in compassion and caring if not so much in size :wink:
    I usally tr to look for something healthy they did do - since my diary often doesn't look the best, I can't very well judge. But if they had a yogurt that I like or apple and peanut butter, or a chicken sandwich, I'll post something like, "Yum, chicken sandwich! What all do you put on yours?" Takes a little more time, but that's what being friends is about. :love:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't log all my veggies...or any for that matter...but I eat a ton a day.

Today I had romaine, spinach, onion, carrots, tomatoes (a vegetable in my book), red cabbage, okra, and squash. :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    And I think it's being too nosy and intrusive to pick at other people's diaries. Do you honestly believe that they don't know that they should eat vegetables and your suggestion will somehow change their lives? I'm pretty sure they're already trying and if they're not eating them....either A.) they don't like them or B.) don't have access/can't afford fresh vegetables. I don't like to give unsolicited advice

I sometimes check out random food diaries, as I believe if they're open to the public then the person shouldn't have a problem with that - I do this to get ideas - I would never comment either way on someone's food diary if it's someone I'm not friends with. Mostly, though, I just look at my MFP pals' diaries - for ideas and to provide support. I see so many people that will automatically give a "good job" or "congrats" for being under their goal without looking to see if they actually ate well. I don't give unsolicited advice, unless I know the person well enough to know they will be okay with it, but I also won't congratulate someone on their food diary unless A) I can see it, and B) I really think they had a good day. If it's all processed food or fast food or stuff like that - I don't think it's something worth congratulating, even if it's under their calorie goal. I know different people need different types of support - personally I'd prefer friends who are honest and who are willing to point out areas in which I could improve. Yes, I'm better than I used to be, but I want to keep getting better.

Some of my MFP pals have private diaries, and I respect that - I understand some people just don't want others seeing everything they eat - but I also expect them to understand that I won't congratulate them on their food diary if I can't see what they're eating.
  • xrockinrobyn
    xrockinrobyn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Whilst I agree what if, like me, you're extraordinarily fussy (Don't hate me for it, I hate myself enough for it!) and despite having tried a huge range of fruit and veg, can still only bring yourself to eat carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, beetroot and apples. That's my 5 a day, right? I get SO bored of eating them every day that eventually I'd just stop eating them all together. I can easily eat an apple a day, but the rest gets a little tedious. Some days I'll just have an apple, other days I'll have all five. What matters is that I'm healthier than I was before.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Where do you find dandelion greens, besides my unmowed backyard of course LOL

We got ours in an order of organic produce (we get one every other week): www.doortodoororganics.com

And they get theirs from their unmowed backyard. :wink:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Eating a diet high in fibrous veg, limiting starches and eating plenty of good protein sources a day is one of the easiest ways to lose weight without having to worry about calorie counting. It adds bulk and satiety to your diet making it difficult to overeat. If you focus on what you should be eating then you have less time to obsess over what you are not, meaning less feelings of deprivation and binging (for most people at least.)

Incorporate 5 servings of the below per day and you will be in a strong position:

Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Courgette / Zucchini
    Onions
    Tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Capsicum
    Green Beans
    Spinach
    Leeks
    Chillis
    Squash
    Celery
    Eggplant
    Alfalfa
    Bok Choi
    Lettuce
    Spring Onions
    Carrots
    Cucumber
    Artichokes
    Fennel

Veg is your friend....
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder! I had spaghetti for dinner tonight (with onions, capsicum and tomatoes in it) but completely forgot that I'd bought Brussels sprouts to go with it! And I love Brussels sprouts! I also found a cob of corn in the fridge when I went to get the brussels sprouts - I think I have enough calories left today for that, too :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    dandelion greens....hmmmm...I need to try those.

I really try to get veggies in.....I have been eating romaine lettuce, garlic, onions, celery, collards, sweet potatoes, red peppers broccoli, corn, zuccini and squash.

some things I will admit I want to gag while eating them, but I am trying and I know I barely ate any veggies at all before MFP.

do you have any suggestions on how to love veggies?? (I am serious)

Commit to trying one new vegetable every week and eat it a couple of times during that particular week. Fix them in different ways.

Roasting veggies with some coconut oil or olive oil, sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper and throw on the grill, YUMMO!!

It sometimes takes the taste buds up to 10 tries and tastes to like a veggie. Just keep trying it fixed in different ways and you will find some way you will like it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I find it strange that so many people don't log their veggies. It's food, isn't it? I monitor my fiber intake so not logging veg would be stupid for me. Also, I occasionally like to click on the reports tab and check out my vitamins and whatnot. And finally, veg has calories, too. Some days my veg calories can be a few hundred. Why would I not log those? It would screw up my entire count for the day. Strange. :huh:
  • bcpie
    bcpie Posts: 89
    Options
    my food diary would drive you crazy..lol :s
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Great reminder! This week I'm really focusing on eating more fruits and veggies. With my lunch sandwich today I had a couple carrots and an orange instead of the handful of Special K cracker chips I was thinking about. I'm planning on cooking at least two sides of veggies (or 1 side and a salad) with dinner for the next week!

I don't understand the not logging veggies thing. The whole point of logging your food is to see what you're eating (*all* of what you're eating) and to keep track of your calories. Leaving out an entire food group seems bizarre to me and when you're looking back it won't provide a clear picture of what you ate.
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    Been trying to add in more veggies. Lately my budget has really kept me to minimum of fresh veggies. Carrots and fresh baby spinach are always in my fridge. I try to find a balance of healthy and edible for my kids and husband; we have vastly different outlooks on what a healthy meal consists of. I also have found that the produce at the 2 major stores in my town is always gross looking and I can't always afford the extra cost of going to the amazing fruit/veggie store. My family has cut back on everything, can't see cutting back much more. So if all I can manage for my veggies in a day is carrots and baby spinach, so be it, I am doing the best I can with what I have to work with.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

P.S. You can call them vegetables or veggies. You can make them sound fun. You can arrange them on a plate with pretty colors. But they still mostly taste like crap! HAHA!

Eat em if you like em, try to eat em if you don't, but don't make eating a chore.

Well said (apart from the bit about vegetables tasting like crap, heheh!)! :wink:

I suspect that lots of people's views on veggies are formed at an early age, when possibly their parents/carers may not have cooked them in the nicest of ways. For example; my English grandparents insisted on us always eating fresh veg as much as possible, so my grandfather grew almost everything my grandmother needed for the kitchen. However, all these good works were offset by the fact that my grandmother had a very Edwardian approach to cooking said veg; i.e. they are indigestible, so boil them until they are mush!

Also, she *only* ever boiled veg - with the exception of potatoes, which might also be roasted, mashed or fried. And she would never have dreamed of using a vegetable, other than possibly an onion and a carrot, as an ingredient! So while I grew up loving most veggies (despite the awful sogginess!), some I absolutely loathed because of the way they'd been served to me as a child. It was only as an adult when I had to cook for myself, that I learned to love things like kale, spinach, cabbage etc.

With that in mind, it's unsurprising that some people just find it difficult to get on with them. No matter what their good intentions, the biggest hurdle is often in overcoming their childhood conditioning. I really believe that instead of a didactic approach regarding the nutrition of others, we should try to understand (as Coyla rightly pointed out) that just to make that step toward healthy eating *is* a huge step. It's also a step in the right direction, this should be encouraged. Remember; *Roma non fu fatta in un giorno!*

It's no good telling someone they *should* be doing a thing (by virtue of the fact that they are here, the chances are they are well aware of it. Most people are not stupid.) - the more they are told, the more they may resist.... to their own detriment. Who would want that for someone? Change, I find, is best effected with gentle nurturing and encouragement.

Besides, who are we to tell others how they should live their lives? We may think we're doing it with the best intentions, but are we really? Do we consider how our well-intentioned advice might actually affect someone? And will the recipient see it as good intentions, or just some smug git, telling them what to do?!

Also, when someone has logged a particular dish instead of ingredients, it could be that the recipe contained lots of veggies but you're not seeing them. If you look at my diary, you will mostly see entries which begin with 'The Goktor's....' - there may be little evidence of vegetables, yet all my recipes contain lots. It wouldn't necessarily be apparent just by a glance through my diary!

When all is said and done, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions, and actually, it seems like incredibly bad manners to me, to look at someone's diary, and then start a forum thread about how unhealthy they are....even if it *is* done with the best intentions. We humans can be fragile creatures, y'know - the last thing we need is to be pulled up by our peers for not eating our vegetables!
  • nicmacc
    nicmacc Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The price of veggies is getting higher its cheaper to eat hot chips!! That's why I made a veggie garden it's free and today I picked lettuce, spinach and tomato for my sanger nothing fresher!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The price of veggies is getting higher its cheaper to eat hot chips!! That's why I made a veggie garden it's free and today I picked lettuce, spinach and tomato for my sanger nothing fresher!

And even if you only have a windowsill in a dorm, you can grow salads in pots...if you are so inclined! And MiniBelle tomatoes!

ETA: Not saying anyone *should*, just that it can be done!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    not everyone logs their diaries because they want to be criticised.
    We ALL know its better for your health to eat your veg, but most people are here to lose weight, first and foremost, and thats about calorie counting, not about what it is. Dont get militant over other peoples diaries. Its not your business, although youre obviously well within your rights to not say "well done" if you think theyve eaten crap all day.
    Unless someone asks for your opinion, its usually unwanted.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    and i do eat a fair amount of fruit and veg normally :)
  • MissConfidence
    Options
    but... but... then people yell at me for "telling them what to do" or judging them!

i just saw a diary ALL being fast food but under the calorie limit and I hesitated for 10 minutes whether to suggest upping the fiber through veggies... I'm scareeeeeeeeeeedddddddddd