Swimming for fitness, health, and weight loss--advice and tips please

Options
I am unable to do many exercises because of health issues with my leg. However, I am able to swim. Unfortunately, I'm a pretty weak swimmer. I can barely swim one length (25 metres) without stopping at least once. So I have set a goal to swim 12 lengths non-stop by Easter.

That's 12 weeks to swim 12 lengths.

Thankfully, I love, love, LOVE being in the water, but can't work out whether my failure to swim a whole length is technique or lack of fitness (quite possibly both!).

Does anyone here have any useful advice or tips (words of encouragement welcome also ;) )?

Replies

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I love swimming too. You should join the swimmer's group on here. community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers

Stick with it, each time you get back in the water it will be easier. :)
  • newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    oh thanks, sheepotato! I will check out the group
  • comfortablynumb46
    Options
    I love swimming as well. I try to go at least once a week. The one exercise that you get to use almost all of your muscles at one time!!!!! ♡
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It's probably more about technique than fitness. But still, awesome goal. I bet you achieve it a lot sooner than you think.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about reddit, but the r/Swimming sub has a lot of beginners/advice for beginners as well as crazy fast club swimmers. It's got a fantastic collection of links to YouTube videos on stroke techniques, programs designed to take you from zero to hero (1650yds, a swim "mile"), and so on.

One important thing about swim: I find that if I'm not in the water at least 1-2 times per week, I lose swim fitness MUCH more quickly than if I miss out on other sports. If you're used to the whole "week off of running = fresh legs and faster times," it could be an unpleasant surprise in the water.
  • newoutlook2014
    Options
    I plan to swim at least twice a week
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I taught/coached swimming for a looooong time. You may want to ask your lifeguard to watch you, critique your technique (if the pool's not busy anyway) or probably any of your pool's staff. You might be able to get a one-off lesson for free or cheap. Other lap swimmers are pretty good resources too! Find someone doing what you want to be doing, ask, listen, take their advice and improve. Swimming is such a fantastic, low-impact, high aerobic exercise, but like anything else, if your technique is bad, your results will be impacted.

Running in the water is awesome exercise too, and you might look at a water aerobics or toning class. They're fun!
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've always thought water Polo looks fun as hell, and is a great workout. Unfortunately, I don't know 10 other people who want to play.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I've always thought water Polo looks fun as hell, and is a great workout. Unfortunately, I don't know 10 other people who want to play.

I played in high school. It is INSANE--both insanely fun and insanely difficult. I will never be in better shape, and I run marathons now.

Why not find one interested friend, watch some YouTube videos to learn the treading techniques, and toss the ball (you could even sub in a volleyball or four square ball) back and forth?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I have just finished beginners swimming lessons, and although I managed 25m front crawl and was pleased, I was even more pleased that I could easily do 400m back stroke.
    I am doing mainly backstroke while building my front crawl breathing skills. I recon the backstroke will help build endurance and muscles for the front crawl.
    Try swimming on your back for a while.

I also do aquafit, got me exercising in the water when I couldn't swim, it is an excellent low impact exercise.

Cheers, h.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    My progress down the pool was terrible at first until I decided to get a few 1:1 coaching sessions with the local trainer. She watched my form and within the first session I was gliding much more efficiently and actually feeling I was travelling further and faster with each stroke - it was technique and of course fitness.
    - I would encourage you to look into a few 1:1 coaching sessions at your local pool.
  • newoutlook2014
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    My progress down the pool was terrible at first until I decided to get a few 1:1 coaching sessions with the local trainer. She watched my form and within the first session I was gliding much more efficiently and actually feeling I was travelling further and faster with each stroke - it was technique and of course fitness.
    - I would encourage you to look into a few 1:1 coaching sessions at your local pool.

thanks, yes, I have considered this
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I can swim, but I do and teach Aqua fitness and Aqua Zumba. Working out in the water is great for building strength and cardio power.

Working towards 12 lengths is a good goal. Maybe join a class.
  • newoutlook2014
    Options
    I can swim, but I do and teach Aqua fitness and Aqua Zumba. Working out in the water is great for building strength and cardio power.

Working towards 12 lengths is a good goal. Maybe join a class.

yep, I am looking up classes right now as I type. the next one starts in 2 weeks... nervous... :\

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I used to swim when I was 12-13 but stopped for a few years and started just last month. I swam 300-400m when I first started and now I swim 800m (around 35 lengths, I think? I use meters instead of yards haha) twice a week. I'm hoping to start swimming a mile per workout. Just start slowly and I bet you'll be able to reach your goal sooner than you think. Good luck! :-)