Help

Options
ok so im new to this about 2 weeks and i feel like a complete failure. im really struggling to keep to my calorie allowance and seem to go over by about 100 calories give or take but i still feel hungry i have cut down alot because im not eating when i feel hungry where as i used to just grab something to eat normally junk as soon as i felt hungry. did anyone else have this problem when they first joined? and does anyone have any ideas on how i can combat the hungry feeling i always seem to have xx

Replies

• ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP....

It will take your body a few weeks to adjust to your new eating habits but you will find that your stomach will shrink a bit and you will start to feel fuller sooner. Try and eat foods that keep you fuller for longer, i find weetabix or porrifge for breakfast keeps me going until lunchtime then something like chicken at lunchtime.

Keep a bottle of water with you wherever you go and remember to keep filling it up.....a lot of people mistake hunger for just being thirsty.

I would advise you to keep busy as well, i find this helps me lots.

Ceri x
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    When I started here, I didn't make any changes at all for the first week. That week, I simply logged what I was eating and it wasn't pretty.

From there, I tried to make a change or two each week so I wouldn't get overwhelmed. So maybe one week you try to prepare more food at home. the next week you work on getting more vegetables into your diet, and so on. That way you are building better habits but you don't make such drastic changes that you're overwhelmed.

Also, consider changing your weight loss goal. If you originally signed up to lose 2 lbs per week, try re-setting your goal to losing 1lb per week. This will give you another 500 calories per day and may help to ease your transition.

You've got all the time in the world to lose this weight--there's no deadline. You're trying to develop sustainable habits, so it's fine to go slowly!
  • katepolden
    katepolden Posts: 38
    Options
    Don't worry I found it tough at first too! Before you know it you'll get used to the rough calorie content of stuff and then be able to fill up on the good things. I have to say 100 calories is not wildly excessive though that's about half a cookie! I found eating little but time consuming things like sultanas and fruit you have peel and chop up helped me at first. Drinking lots of water is also very important. The other alternative of course is to build 100calories of excercise into your day - 25 minute walk at lunch time?
  • lisa01mb
    lisa01mb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I always have a bowl of cut raw carrots and sugar snap peas at hand to snack on to help keep the hunger away as the fibre helps. Find your own veggies you like and try this. I also drink a lot of mint or green tea too. Good luck and keep trying.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    You should eat small meals constantly. 5 a day. 3 medium meals with snacks in between and by snacks I mean fresh fruits, yogurts, vegies with light ranch, etc.. That is what diabetic teaching informed me.
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i had this problem also. I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day which helps and i chew sugar free strawberry shortcake gum. One thing i also tried that helps is to when you are eating make sure you eat your food slower. I always wanted to practically inhale my food because I was so hungry. It seems if you take your time at it you will feel fuller. Also, I take a drink of my water after I finish a bite of food and that makes me slow down and focus on if i am still hungry or not. Hope this helps you out. Dont get discouraged it will get better as you go.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    what is your current calorie setting?

it takes a while and a little will power but your body will adjust to the lowered food intake. believe me..i was cutting a few months back an it was all i could do to eat 1300..i usually came up short..but when i started to 'bulk' it took me months to be able to eat at the 2000 i'm at now..i still struggle a bit, but your body will get used to it.

it takes patience and a little will power.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    When I started here, I didn't make any changes at all for the first week. That week, I simply logged what I was eating and it wasn't pretty.

From there, I tried to make a change or two each week so I wouldn't get overwhelmed. So maybe one week you try to prepare more food at home. the next week you work on getting more vegetables into your diet, and so on. That way you are building better habits but you don't make such drastic changes that you're overwhelmed.

Also, consider changing your weight loss goal. If you originally signed up to lose 2 lbs per week, try re-setting your goal to losing 1lb per week. This will give you another 500 calories per day and may help to ease your transition.

You've got all the time in the world to lose this weight--there's no deadline. You're trying to develop sustainable habits, so it's fine to go slowly!

this is perfect advice. I would add that you might want to make your diary public so that you can get feedback on choices. The more protein/fiber you have during your meals the longer you will feel full.