Pre-packaged foods better for my weight loss

Options
I've noticed something over the past 12 months of working hard to lose weight - I can't cook for myself most of the time if I actually want to stay within my calories. I'm not saying I'm the best cook ever, but I love the food I cook, and I inevitably eat too much of it even if I'm weighing it out.

What has been working for me for the past month is eating 90% pre-packaged salads and wraps (like from Trader Joes) because they give me a set serving size and set calories for my meal. Psychologically, it's like "okay, I can JUST eat this, and then my meal is over" And then for dinner, the same. I find myself less likely to desire to go back for seconds. I know I can't live on packaged foods forever, mostly because I love to cook too much, but I figure if I get my body used to the amounts I'm eating now, and not going back for seconds, once I hit my goal and I start cooking more often I'll be programmed not to want to eat the entire pot of whatever I just cooked, and instead take a reasonable amount.

Does anyone have a similar feeling? Opposite experience?

Replies

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It ain't my thang, and I doubt I could afford it, but if it works for you, why not run with it?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I know what you're talking about, but I only cook one portion. So that is not really a problem for me anymore. If I cooked a whole pot of something, yes-I'd eat it all.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Do you live alone? When I make a pot of food I premeasure it as 4 servings, then I eat one, my husband eats the other and we put away two servings as leftovers for another meal.

It's good that you've found a way to help you lose weight, do you think you'll be able to maintain once you reach your goal by continuing to use prepacked foods or do you have a plan for then? If it's something that is going to be sustainable for you then there's no harm in doing it that way.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Oh man, my boyfriend would get so peeved if I just cooked one portion of anything. He'd think I was ready to kick him out of the house. Ha. Gotta feed the man belly. He's an excellent cook too, so he cooks often and cooks a big pot of whatever which gets eaten way too quickly!! I've had to tell him I'm not eating his food, I'll be eating the prepackaged salad in the fridge. It took him a while to be OK with it, but he finally understands.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Oh. Okay. I'm not with my boyfriend very much and he is not a big eater. Anyway, YOU could cook for the two of you. If he wants two servings, make 3 total. One for yourself and two for him.
  • krawhitham
    Options
    Yes - I have to learn to do that. I think cooking 3 servings exactly would help us both out greatly.
  • sheepotato
    Options
    Ah I see, my husband likes when I cook because he has more beer/wine/snack calories for the day when his meals are reasonable.
  • arditarose
    Options
    krawhitham wrote: »
    Yes - I have to learn to do that. I think cooking 3 servings exactly would help us both out greatly.

Yay! Then he gets his two big helpings and there isn't a bunch left over to pick at. And you guys can eat the home cooked stuff you love.
  • juniebug2013
    juniebug2013 Posts: 31 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am the same way. I'm feeding an entire family, so I have to cook dinner, but I've found for my lunches and snacks I do much better with the preportioned options. Like if I buy a bag of almonds, I can eat them until they are gone, but if buy the 100 calorie snack bags it's not an issue. Something about getting to the bottom of the bag makes me feel done, and I find I'm just as satisfied with the smaller portions.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It ain't my thang, and I doubt I could afford it, but if it works for you, why not run with it?

+1

You'd leave behind loads of sodium if you cooked for the two of you, but if this way keeps you on the path, go for it.
  • JEE2015
    JEE2015 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I get the prepackaged thing too. I take them for only lunch only and at night I use the proverbial (sp)? dessert plate. But however it works for you do it! We all have our 'recipes' for success.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If it keeps you in your caloric intake, I say run with it until you get used to the portions. I have trouble cooking for just the 4 of us. I like to cook for an army I guess. I just use the leftovers for my lunch at work or the next day. As soon as we are done eating, I divide it into single servings and store it in the fridge. For me, out of sight, out of mind..lol
  • MLLeFever
    MLLeFever Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know how to cook, I'm just bored with it. Plus evenings can be hectic. We've been using skillet bags for dinner and veggies. It's been helping me to be under calorie goals or right at goals. What sucks is the sodium. Really, we (my partner and I) eat too much processed foods. I think it's time to go back to fish and remembering to defrost the chicken the night before...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How bout when you cook, have a preset number of servings and when you're done cooking individualize those servings?
    6rn6fi7qrytr.jpg
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I cook big batches, and divide portions (that I entered into recipe builder here)into Tupperware. I also use a food scale to measure out my other food.

I do eat packaged food items too, but building a diet around that seems unsustainable and expensive long term.

But to each there own! I know some one IRL who lost over 100lbs eating 2 lean cuisines and 1 breakfast bar a day. (Plus lots of diet dr.pepper).

She maintains this loss my having a once a week blowout meal at her favorite restauraunt. So who am I to judge?
  • krawhitham
    Options
    I am the same way. I'm feeding an entire family, so I have to cook dinner, but I've found for my lunches and snacks I do much better with the preportioned options. Like if I buy a bag of almonds, I can eat them until they are gone, but if buy the 100 calorie snack bags it's not an issue. Something about getting to the bottom of the bag makes me feel done, and I find I'm just as satisfied with the smaller portions.

Yes, I think that's my issue too. I feel that getting to the bottom of something means satisfaction, so if I only SEE a small portion then i'll only eat a small portion!
  • krawhitham
    Options
    I LOVE the tupperware suggestions! I think my tupperware are way too big. I only have a couple of them, and they're like double the portion sizes I'm used to eating now. I love the photo of those small tupperware that Lifting4lis posted. I need those!
  • sheepotato
    Options

Yes, I think that's my issue too. I feel that getting to the bottom of something means satisfaction, so if I only SEE a small portion then i'll only eat a small portion!

You could try making big batches on the weekends when you have more time and are not hungry and pre-portion and freeze them. You will get the same bottom of the dish feeling without the extra price or sodium. I do this when I make things like enchiladas, chili or red beans and rice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the tupperware suggestions! I think my tupperware are way too big. I only have a couple of them, and they're like double the portion sizes I'm used to eating now. I love the photo of those small tupperware that Lifting4lis posted. I need those!

Hit up amazon. I LOVE portioning with my tupperware!
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do that too, especially when I'm too busy to cook. I've been known to lick the bottom of the bowl to enjoy every last calorie. My teenage daughter caught me in the act once and was mortified.