Coffee Question

Options
I consume lots of coffee each day since I work at night and I work over 10 hours a day. I do not like tea. My problem is that I am allergic to aspartame, and I don't know what I can put in the coffee to make it sweet without adding a ton of calories. I cannot drink it black- yuck! Please give me some tips of what I can put in my coffee! Thanks!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Stevia.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Truvia, Stevia, Agave
  • AngelZealot
    AngelZealot Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Stevia.

I read online that Stevia wasn't FDA approved. Does it cause cancer or have adverse side effects?
  • Poetic64
    Poetic64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started doing this because I'm really cutting down my sugar: I add pure vanilla and a little cinnamon instead of the creamer in the morning. If I have creamer, I am craving sugar all day long. I do sometimes add 1 TBS of creamer, which has about 6 grams of sugar, but not on an ongoing basis. I did not realize how much sugar I was eating - it's in everything. And I don't like aspartame or imitation sugars myself. Hope it helps you too!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Truvia, Stevia, Agave

Yep! Any of the above.

Stevia.

I read online that Stevia wasn't FDA approved. Does it cause cancer or have adverse side effects?

pfffttt just about everything is claimed to cause cancer these days.
    Just because it's FDA approved doesn't automatically make it safe.

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Stevia.

It's my understanding that it's safe. I don't use it, I drink my coffee black. I have grown it though. The kids sometimes chew on the leaves, along with the peppermint that's taking over the back 40. ;)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    How do you do with Splenda/sucralose? Torani makes some sugar-free flavored syrups with minimal calories.
  • AngelZealot
    Options
    Which is the best out of the 3, truvia, stevia, or agave?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia. If you don't want to buy it, you can make your own by growing a Stevia plant and making your own extract.
  • AngelZealot
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    I use Stevia. If you don't want to buy it, you can make your own by growing a Stevia plant and making your own extract.

How do you make the extract yourself?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't like coffee black either, unless it's some SUPER insanely delicious fresh roasted beans or something. But I found that I *can* do coffee with a splash of almond milk and no sweetener. Even the unsweetened original almond milk. This might not be for you, but I swear to me it does not taste much different than when I used to drink the same thing with either sugar, aspartame, or agave. Just took about a week to adjust.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you use agave make sure you use less than you would if using sugar because it's higher in calories but it's also sweeter. the only real benefit it has over sugar is that you can use less of it. I was hoping Stevia would be my solution but it tastes bitter to me. I just cut back on my coffee and drink a lot more water.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of agave. And agave has a lot of calories.

Stevia tastes very good to me, is calorie free, and is perfectly natural...not a manufactured chemical.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Cocoa powder
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Every person's body responds differently to different sweeteners. I am good with sucarlose but Stevia gives me stomach problems. Other people have the opposite experience. Try something and see how you find it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    maple syrup
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I use a Kuerig at work, and drink flavored coffees; no sugar, but tastes awesome. My fav is caramel creme brulee flavor.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia and Stevia in my coffee. Haven't tried anything else.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

How do you make the extract yourself?

This is the recipe I followed.
    http://www.nutritionstripped.com/how-to-make-stevia-extract/
  • Cherie1n2n3n4
    Cherie1n2n3n4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a plant that looks similar to a mint and is supposably easy to grow. I've ordered seeds for my herb garden this year.. I'm still looking over methods, but the simplest way to use it is dried crushed leaves