Filling foods that will keep me full for a long time? Suggestions?

Options
I am a newbie and would greatly appreciate any suggestions on foods that have worked for others in this area. Thank you!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Eggs are my go to for keeping me full. I scramble 3-4 eggs, add bok choy, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms. I often have this for dinner, and I'm stuffed for the rest of the night.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Food that are high in protein, dietary fiber or healthy fats.

I personally find foods like chicken breast, beans, peas, dark leafy greens, sweet potatoes, squashes, avocados, and quinoa to be very filling.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    your welcome to explore my diary..... I am never really hungry Except for the first 2 weeks when i started.

3 or 4 days i had a "hungry" feeling. But recognized it soon as more "a habit/wanting to eat" feeling.

Lots of veggies/fruit and proteins do the trick for me.
  • fixmyself
    Options
    I definitely agree with the protein statement! Protein is the main thing that keeps you fill since it's harder to digest. My go to snack is usually a handful of almonds!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Soups fill me up. I boil chicken and make a delicious stock. When it's done I shred the chicken, add kale and other vegetables and beans. It's high fiber, high protein, has liquid ("eating" your water can be very filling) and nutrient dense.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Eggs definitely. I can have eggs in the morning and stay full all the way thru to a late lunch. Tuna also fills me up. Chia bars are my filling snacks...they are little but for some reason are filling. And drink lots of water in case your are not really hungry just thirsty!
  • detroitchuck
    Options
    Protein shakes. A banana and a glass of water makes you fill really full for a while.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    ckholland3 wrote: »
    Soups fill me up. I boil chicken and make a delicious stock. When it's done I shred the chicken, add kale and other vegetables and beans. It's high fiber, high protein, has liquid ("eating" your water can be very filling) and nutrient dense.

this is what i do too :)
    Everyday at lunch i have my own made soup and with fresh veggies and chicken/meat.
    Plus some yogurt ( 2 or 3 oz) with fruit and i am good till my afternoon snack or dinner time :)
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Egg/cheese/kale (or spinach) omelet fills me up for longer than my previous fave meal of egg and toast--and for fewer calories. But I'm not usually too hungry. If you're new (and especially if you're sedentary and 2 lbs/week), you may want to step down to your calorie goal. It's better to go down by a couple hundred calories at a time and stick with the plan instead of eating 1200 for a week and burning out.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Oats, eggs, Greek yogurt, butter, quest bars, chicken, salmon, protein powder(mix it with Greek yogurt for a hunger crushing snack), quest bars, avacado, peanut butter I find filling when mixed into oats or on toast with eggs. But by itself not so much.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Think healthy fats, protein, and/or fiber. Those are the most satiating things to eat.

So, you might have some peanut butter on apple slices with the peel (for the fiber).

Or, I make frosting out of coconut oil, unsweetened cocoa, a little honey and cinnamon, and smear it on a whole wheat crepe. That's around 240 cals, plenty of fats, a little protein and fiber, and it makes me feel very full (like, stuffed) when I eat it as a snack or dessert...the kind of stuffed that makes you not want breakfast the next morning.

Chili is a nearly ideal food, with protein from whatever meat you choose and protein/fiber in the beans, and you can include lots of veggies, even some unusual ones like sweet potatoes. You can adjust calories by adjusting proportions and which meats you use.

If you like salads, try making a big one with lots of veggies, a lean meat like chicken or shrimp, and a serving of cheese...I love goat cheese or feta on mine....and then a nice oil-based dressing if you need to amp up the cals or fats, vinegar based if you want to keep the calories lower.

Wraps are a good choice too...I grill chicken tenderloins and put on a wrap with a mixture of mashed avocado, chopped tomato, sliced onion and crumbled feta.

If you have a slow cooker, throw in some chicken or pork with a jar of good salsa, shred the meat when you're done, and put on tortillas with a bit of cheese and lettuce and you've got burritos.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, protein and fats keep me fuller longer.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    chicken breasts, oatmeal for breakfast, and have low calorie healthy snacks
  • BWBTrish
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    As everyone else has said, protein and fats keep me fuller longer.

This is also why i buy chicken breast with some fat on it. I cut off all the fat with some meat too. And use this to make my soup. A load of veggies in it, pepper, garlic, fresh parsley, cilantro etc and most of the time i have a nice yummie soup for around 100 calories. I eat 1 or 2 slices of whole wheat bread with it and a swiss cheese wedge. About 220 to 230 calories.
    When i am hungry i eat 1 or 2 oz of yogurt and some fruit in it.
    So for under the 300 calories i have a lot of food that is filling and yummie.
    This is for lunch

In the morning i like my yogurt ( always) fresh ground flax seeds in it and a kiwi.
    Than next to that i eat a cracker with cheese or oats, eggs
    Always have my half cup of almond milk.

Afternoon snack can be everything from fruit till nuts or a Fiber One bar

Dinner
    Some meat or Fish ( most of the time round 4 oz)
    lots of veggies/lettuce/cucumber/tomato/mushrooms
    And i am really not embarrassed to eat 8 0z of cauliflower if i have too lol.

Evening snack
    My popcorn ( 100 calories) and almonds
    Sometimes i make a change in the almonds like tonight a Fiber one bar.
    Or i wont hit my calories.

Next to that.
    2.5 liter of water
    2 to 3 black coffee in the morning
    and some green tea.

And i must say i am really never hungry.

oh and lost 56 pounds this way :) since 1 October 2014

• coraborealis80
    coraborealis80 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't keep a diary, but I've been keeping some of my better trials at rinnskitchen.blogspot.com, and no, I'm not putting ads on it so it stays free.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Protein and fiber. I don't find fat particularly satiating, I feel quite famished on days when my fat macro percentage is high.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    A giant mound of spaghetti squash (a full pound) with a pile of tomato (a full pound) sprinkled with a bit of Zesty Italian spice powder. It's, literally, two full pounds of food, bigger than the biggest mountain of spaghetti you've ever eaten, and costs you just about 270 calories (give or take) .

I eat that on those particularly bad days when the hunger just gnaws at you all day. Stuffing 2 pounds of food down the pie hole tends to negate the hunger, even if only a measly 300-ish calories.

I am as full after eating that as I used to be eating a 3000 calorie pizza.

• ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ditto ditto. Protein in breakfast, then in terms of snacks ... I'll graze over the course of the day on things like a handful of nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews) or dried fruit. (Figs are my fave, which is partly cuz it's hard to find others where I live that don't have added sugar, but I've found they're really filling.)

Great idea, Owlhouse, to keep a chicken soup around! (I've found that making it from the whole leg and thigh with the skin, fat and bone still on can yield a really filling soup for snacks. Not so much for a meal -- breast meat is better for that -- but for when you just feel like a little something during the day.)

Another thing I have regularly as a snack is papad. Those are the thin crispy wafers the size of tortillas that a lot of people would know from encountering them as pre-meal snacks at Indian restaurants. (Not the naan.) They're made of gram flour (so they're a legume product, not a wheat product) and are really low-cal. In the US, UK, etc you can probably find them pretty easily at the more diverse big-city grocery stores, or at least definitely at Indian stores. (Haldiram's is a big brand that's widely available in the West, and they have good packaged papad.) All you have to do is heat them on a dry skillet for a few seconds until they crisp up. They're "like bread" in the "feels satisfying" category, but more filling in the long run and way lower cal. I stay away from bread so they're great for me!

I thought I'd toss that idea in here since I'm guessing papad may not make it into everyone's food diaries yet :smile:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It takes about 4 hours for you to digest any food you eat, so after about 3 hours, you're probably going to be hungry no matter what you've eaten because it's passed most of the way through your system.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    that's why i eat about 6 times a day... :)
    3 meals and 3 snacks