Using ginger to suppress appetite and boost metabolism

Options
I make no claims here, but came across this interesting bit of info. I plan on trying it empirically and thought I would share for anyone else who'd like to assess their own reaction to it.

"A study, published in Metabolism Journal, investigated the effects of ginger on energy expenditure, feelings of hunger and metabolic risk factors. The study involved 10 overweight male subjects who were given breakfast with or without a hot ginger beverage.

"The researchers determined that ginger had no effect on glucose, insulin, lipids, or inflammatory markers. However, the ginger drink enhanced thermogenesis (burning of calories) and reduced feelings of hunger.

'The researchers concluded that ginger might have a potential role in weight management.'

performancenutrition.eu/in-the-news/study-shows-ginger-can-affect-appetite/#.VK84uXsYF5Y

Replies

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I drink ginger tea. I don't know about the claims you listed. I do know that it is good for treating inflammation.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I drink ginger tea. I don't know about the claims you listed. I do know that it is good for treating inflammation.

I saw someone on here equate fat with inflammation. Maybe they were on to something? o:)

I drink it for an upset stomach.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I saw someone on here equate fat with inflammation. Maybe they were on to something? o:)

I drink it for an upset stomach.

It is great for upset stomachs.

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Yawnetu wrote: »
    I make no claims here, but came across this interesting bit of info. I plan on trying it empirically and thought I would share for anyone else who'd like to assess their own reaction to it.

"A study, published in Metabolism Journal, investigated the effects of ginger on energy expenditure, feelings of hunger and metabolic risk factors. The study involved 10 overweight male subjects who were given breakfast with or without a hot ginger beverage.

"The researchers determined that ginger had no effect on glucose, insulin, lipids, or inflammatory markers. However, the ginger drink enhanced thermogenesis (burning of calories) and reduced feelings of hunger.

'The researchers concluded that ginger might have a potential role in weight management.'

performancenutrition.eu/in-the-news/study-shows-ginger-can-affect-appetite/#.VK84uXsYF5Y

All over Asia people who are in the hospital are given ginger tea to maintain or increase their appetite. That where I had my first ginger tea and now drink it, because it seems to help with the RA I have since I was a young girl.

• Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I once read that ginger is as effective as Dramamine at relieving motion sickness and nausea. Sorry I can't find the original article, but I DID find this:

"Ginger is a rhizome, an underground stem that looks like a root. Many of you gardeners are familiar with rhizomes, especially if you are fond of Irises. The ginger plant produces a gorgeous and fragrant flower, but aside from its uses in Asian and other ethnic cooking, it has a real medicinal wallop. As spicy and pungent as ginger is, it can be taken with ease thanks to the vegetarian gelatin capsule. It's also a soothing and beneficial tea to relieve nausea, gas, and cramping. It works wonders as a preventative for motion sickness, and in 1982, The Lancet, the respected medical journal of Great Britain, touted its power to quell this uncomfortable feeling—quite an achievement for a natural remedy!"

alternativemedicine.com/blog/alternative-medicine/ginger-attacks-nausea-its-root

• Yawnetu
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    All over Asia people who are in the hospital are given ginger tea to maintain or increase their appetite. That where I had my first ginger tea and now drink it, because it seems to help with the RA I have since I was a young girl.

Hmm. This article claims it suppresses appetite. Wine, I've heard, actually increases appetite and is supposedly recommended often for older people who just don't seem to eat enough because they're not hungry

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ginger is fantastic for an upset tummy.

I drink lemongrass and ginger tea pretty much all day at work, just because I like the taste and my office air con is set to Arctic (and if I drank normal tea all day, I'd be jittery as all hell). I can't comment on appetite reduction, really because I haven't looked for it. Maybe next time I run out I'll pay attention?

Gotta say, it's also awesome for a hangover!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I keep ginger snap cookies on hand, they're a tasty treat that I don't ever feel tempted to overindulge on.
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I keep a bottle of ginger on my microwave for nausea and motion sickness. It has always worked really well for it. May just pop one in the morning for my Osteoarthritis.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Ginger is bangin' in a soy sauce marinade.
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I love ginger in my green tea (especially with lemon juice and stevia). I love the anti-inflammatory effect it has and wish I could drink it all the time for that benefit. It has a very warming effect that actually seems to throw my body out of balance if I drink it every day. I know Chinese herbalists tend to mix it with other ingredients to help balance the warming effect. Also, it very noticeably stimulates my appetite, which makes sense if it is boosting metabolism.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    The results, showing enhanced thermogenesis and reduced feelings of hunger with ginger consumption, suggest a potential role of ginger in weight management.
    Additional studies are necessary to confirm these findings.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Ginger is bangin' in a soy sauce marinade.

I bet you are, too... wait what?

Ginger. Yes, ginger. It's good to cleanse my palate between sushi rolls... okay, and I love eating it plain, too lol
  • Yawnetu
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    The results, showing enhanced thermogenesis and reduced feelings of hunger with ginger consumption, suggest a potential role of ginger in weight management.
    Additional studies are necessary to confirm these findings.

Yep. Never stop investigating. The more we know, the more we know we don't know. Besides, compared to 20 years from now, medical science is in the Dark Ages. There's always something new to learn

• fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know about this study but I religiously have a ginger, lemon and honey tea between breakfast and lunch to stop me snacking and it works