Heart Rate Monitor vs. Runkeeper (or other running app) data reliability?

Options
Heart rate monitor vs. Runkeeper (or any other GPS tracking app for your runs/walks)

I just walked a brisk pace of about approx. 4.5-4.7 variable for 43 minutes with a friend during lunch. I ran the heart rate monitor and Runkeeper at the same time but I got extremely different results. Runkeeper recorded me at 245 calories burned and my Polar FT7 heart rate monitor recorded me at 394 cal burned. I feel like I'm supposed to trust the heart rate monitor but I felt that number was extremely high for some reason.

I then did turbokick for 30 minutes with the heart rate monitor. It recorded me as 316 cal burned which I felt about right. I put it on MFP and it recorded 366 as an estimation.

I need advice - am I supposed to trust my results from the heart rate monitor as it makes the calculations of cal burned based on my heart rate? I just wanted to make sure my heart rate monitor wasn't wonky or anything.... first time using one.

Replies

• lasarabande
    lasarabande Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah forgot to mention my profiles in polar and runkeeper are exactly the same
  • bucket0
    bucket0 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I get different calories burned, too. I use the readings from my polar heart rate monitor. They always seem to match up with the intensity of my workout better than what MFP, other counters, and gym equipment monitors. Regardless what you go by, I think it's most important to just choose and stick with one.
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I alway go with the HRM, but remember to subtract the calories you would have burned during that time just by sitting still - the HRM counts all the calories, but MFP has already accounted for the calories you would have burned without the exercise in your TDEE :)
    You can calculate the number - I usually just subtract 60 calories per hour of exercise, or 1 per minute :)

EDIT: I found a site that does it for you: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.aspx
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Your HR won't get high enough while walking to render a meaningful result, the algorithms will be below their design parameters. Runkeeper is likely to be closer.

For something like Turbofire the rate and number of changes in HR during the session will lead to a significant over-estimation of calories expended so even 300 cals is probably high.