do gym and cardio at same time?

Options
hello fellow mfpians..i weigh at 94 kg now and my target is to reach 80kg in next 4 to 6 months. is it advisable to do gym(strength training) and cardio?

Replies

• korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do both at the gym and only have 45 mins to spare in a morning as the gym opens half an hour later than it used to.

I always do weights first, it takes me about 10-15 mins to get round my weight program then ive got my half an hour of cardio.

Sounds easy, but no...the program my trainer has put me on is quite intense, for that time in a morning anyway!

Monday, wednesday and friday I do 5 min warm up on the bike, weights and then 10 mins tredmill, fast walk + jogging intervals, 5 mins top XT (kind of like a bike that you pedal with your arms set to difficulty 5) then 5 - 10 mins on the sidestepper which is the hardest if the lot!

Then tuesday and thursdays i do weights then HIIT on the bike for 15 - 20 mins
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hello!

In my gym sessions I do 50% strength, 50% cardio. The main argument is that whilst cardio burns fat, muscle gained through strength training uses more calories when you're not doing much. I'd suggest doing your strength training before your cardio, so I normally do 5 min warm up, 25 mins strength, 20mins HIIT, then cool down and stretch :)

Hope this helps!!

xxx
  • khaleelrs
    khaleelrs Posts: 6
    Options
    I do both at the gym and only have 45 mins to spare in a morning as the gym opens half an hour later than it used to.

I always do weights first, it takes me about 10-15 mins to get round my weight program then ive got my half an hour of cardio.

Sounds easy, but no...the program my trainer has put me on is quite intense, for that time in a morning anyway!

Monday, wednesday and friday I do 5 min warm up on the bike, weights and then 10 mins tredmill, fast walk + jogging intervals, 5 mins top XT (kind of like a bike that you pedal with your arms set to difficulty 5) then 5 - 10 mins on the sidestepper which is the hardest if the lot!

how long have you been doing this and how much have you lost in that period of time ?
  • khaleelrs
    khaleelrs Posts: 6
    Options

how long have you been doing this and how much have you lost in that period of time ?
  • LeeShirreffs
    LeeShirreffs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do Cardio and Weights on same day.

Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat i do:

20min Medium intensity Cardio (mainly Elypical Trainer) then my weights (depending on muscle groups for particular day) and then when finished back on Elyptical Trainer for another 20min medium intensity.

Tues, Thurs and Sun i do:

30Min HIIT. Which is 5min warm up, then 30secs sprint, 1min jog, 30sec sprint, 1min jog and so on for 30mins. Then 5 min warm down.

Been doing this for 3weeks now. Started out at 89.9Kg and weighed in this morning at 86.1Kg. So 3.8Kg loss (8.4lbs) so far and got another 7 weeks to go :)

This is also helped by the diet that i am on :)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    ideally you should do them on seperate days.

otherwsie do a warmup, then lift, then run.
  • MrGoodbar2
    MrGoodbar2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try to use Hight Intensity Workouts. This includes doing strength training at a quick pace with no break between reps. An example would be doing 10 push ups, 15 dumb bell presses, 20 air squats for as many reps as possible for 15min straight. Doing workouts like that push your muscles to failure and you will end up with both gains in muscle mass and enjoy the cardiovascular effect as well.
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Ive been doing it for about a month so far, since i started doing MFP for real and look below at how much ive lost!

I can feel the weight coming off, tshirts are baggy etc etc

So yeah, its working for me so far! :-)

As to doing weights and cardio on alt days, i would disagree with that, unless, you are doing serious weight training.

If i did mine on alt days, id only be in the gym for about 20 mins each time! I dont want to be ripped, just toned!
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    I'm one month into a training class at my gym. Two days a week, (with a 3rd optional on weekends) 45 minutes of intense strength training followed by a half hour of cardio. On non-strength training days I do an hour of cardio, with one day off a week.

Both the guided strength training and cardio sessions are structured to promote muscle confusion. Like the previous poster, I alternate between treadmill, elliptical, bike, stair climber - 10 minutes on each, with increasing intensity every 2 minutes. The strength training is the same, 1 minute (or until muscle failure) each set, 15 second rest between sets, with crunches, squats, lunges interspersed with free weights.

I have been losing 10 lbs a month, but have also seen a noticible increase in muscle tone which only improves as the fat melts.

Love it.