Oblique exercises without twisting?

Options
I'm reaching out to all you strength training experts, is there an exercise that I can do for my obliques without twisting?

I have been suffering with a bad back for years, currently receiving more treatment for it. I can run, lift weights etc. as long as there's no pain, and I tailor my workouts to suit my pain level, but I don't know how to target my obliques.

Any advice?

Replies

• spiffymacadamia
    spiffymacadamia Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I like to do what I call "teapots" which is getting a dumbbell that you feel comfortable holding for a bit. The exercise consists of holding the dumbbell in one hand (say right hand) and then tipping your arm that is holding the dumbbell down, as if doing the "tip me over and pour me out" part of the song "I'm a little teapot". I do three sets, each of them at ten reps for each side (left and right). Make sure to tighten your abs while doing the exercise and to stand up straight. Hope this helps. :-)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Can I just ask, why are you trying to target your obliques in the first place?
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would think that side planks would be your best bet if you have a bad back, as there's no motion or twisting what-so-ever.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Side planks require no motion at all. Have you tried doing a standing cable trunk-rotation? If so, where in the back does it hurt after that.
    Can I just ask, why are you trying to target your obliques in the first place?

The obliques are a big component of the Lumbo-Pelvic Hip Complex or otherwise known as your Core muscles, everybody should train their Core. Despite what most believe, squats and deadlifts aren't enough.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Is it specifically twisting or is bending to the side not okay too? I've done a few like standing oblique crunches (but make sure you're using your obliques, not just lifting your leg) and I've laid on my back in sit up position and used my hands to touch my heels back and forth. Side planks are great.
  • AJ_Muffin
    AJ_Muffin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Some great advice, thanks :smile:

And it's my mid back and ribs that are out of alignment, at t5/t6. I can bend sideways but I'm not supposed to rotate my spine. And I'm not just targeting my obliques, I'm strengthening my whole core, which includes obliques.

I'll give those suggestions a whirl. Thank you :smiley:
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    AJ_Muffin wrote: »
    Some great advice, thanks :smile:

And it's my mid back and ribs that are out of alignment, at t5/t6. I can bend sideways but I'm not supposed to rotate my spine. And I'm not just targeting my obliques, I'm strengthening my whole core, which includes obliques.

I'll give those suggestions a whirl. Thank you :smiley:

A strength & conditioning coach I'm in school with told me he like to use single-dumbbell Farmer's Walks. Basically you hold a heavy DB in one arm but not the other and use your core muscles to keep you upright while you walk. I've never done it but it sounds legit and he's the assistant S&C for Oregon St.
  • AJ_Muffin
    Options
    Thanks Sam_I_Am

I just got back from my doctors, I'm having a second evaluation on Monday and more PT, so I'll try everything out over the weekend and talk it over with the experts.

Thanks again :smiley:
  • williemcshooglebert
    Options
    Yes hold a 20kg weight in each hand by your side. Bend down sideways in each direction for 3 sets of 8.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Have you tried Turkish Get-Ups? They're a great compound exercise and definitely hit the core/obliques.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    The obliques are a big component of the Lumbo-Pelvic Hip Complex or otherwise known as your Core muscles, everybody should train their Core. Despite what most believe, squats and deadlifts aren't enough.

I am of the opinion that they would be enough. What is your reasoning or evidence to the contrary?
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In T25 we do Oblique knee pushups and side plank exercises. The side planks kill my obliques.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Another vote for single (but not double!) dumbbell side bends. Alternative would be use a cable machine to replicate the same movement.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    side planks. I'm not allowed to twist anymore (bad back), and therapist told me to substitute side planks. They have been great/effective. Still increasing my hold time.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Search Youtube for "anti-rotation press".

• Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I am of the opinion that they would be enough. What is your reasoning or evidence to the contrary?

There is a lot of research out there and I know you're going to come back and ask for references and I don't have them saved. Last year I read over 200 pieces of primary and secondary source research for my MS program and I do not save every thing or even remember all the authors. I an tell you there is a strong body of evidence that suggests Core training helps reduce injuries, especially in athletes. Because the Core is such a large component of human movement it is very important for neuromuscular control and have a strong Core can help reduce things like non-contact ACL injuries and Shin-Splints. There is some that says it doesn't but the majority of evidence indicates it does and I will limit my comment to at least "most" professional practitioners perform some Core training with their clients.

Additionally, there is much evidence that represents test subjects (using Core Training) improving things like their Squat 1RM more significantly than Control group (no Core Training). When I say Core training I do not mean a 30 or 45-min class at the local gym, I mean 1 to 4 exercises for 1-3 sets typically, other variables dependent upon the need & exercise. I'm sure if you do searches like Core Strength and Squat you can find primary research that discusses some of things I've mentioned.

• Cacheola
    Cacheola Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Side crunches on a swiss ball
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and no word on the pallof press.

for shame.

google that one up young padawan- and all your problems shall be solved.

well lies- that won't fix your back- but it'll help you work obliques without actually having to do any torsional work.
  • AJ_Muffin
    Options
    Haha JoRocka, will do, it's added to my list, thanks :smile:

I started at the top of the list with "teapots" and that's definitely worked, feeling it today.

Not sure I'm going to be able to do side planks, I also have right side weakness and can't hold my own body weight, I tend to fall flat on my face lol, but I'll give it another try.
  • AJ_Muffin
    Options
    Cacheola wrote: »
    Side crunches on a swiss ball

I'm going to get my husband to video me trying this one! I don't have a great track record with those things, should make great viewing lol