Kale

Options
What can you eat with this? I know it sounds silly but I don't know what I do with it?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Steam it and put it in an omelet
    Make mashed potatoes with it
    Cook it with a can of tomatoes

I recently flipped through a book on kale that had recipes for everything you can think of, including waffles and muffins.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stir fry it with some ginger and onions, add it to some chill, put it in a smoothie.
    Google "Kale Chips" for some baked kale.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can use it in any dish you'd normally put spinach in.
    I have served it steamed as a side to a main meal, shredded it and stirred it into fried rice and used it in curries.
    I recommend using it soon after buying as it turns bitter if you store it too long.
  • fenshae
    fenshae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really like to make kale and eggs. I sautee the kale in a bit of butter or oil until it wilts down, then scramble in some eggs with it. Also really good with mushrooms, which have a real meaty flavor.

Another thing I like to do with greens is dice up a little bacon (or pork belly), fry it up, wilt the greens in the grease, and top with a dash of vinegar. Turnip greens are the best for this (it's a classic Southern side dish) but mustard greens and kale are good too. Serve with some corn bread and beans and you've got good ol' soul food.

I also like putting greens in my soup. I made a soup today by sauteeing together diced onion, garlic, cabbage and spinach (but kale would work fine), then adding beef broth once it was cooked down. Seasoned with Chinese 5-spice and a splash of sesame oil. I ate mine like that, but it would've been better with rice noodles.

Greens are also a really easy addition to smoothies. You can toss in several handfuls of greens when you're blending it up and you won't even notice they're there, but they'll add lots of nutrients and fiber.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    stir fry with spring onions and bacon and garlic and chilli
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Use it like any other leafy green vegetable e.g Spring cabbage, spinach.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I always pan braise mine. I start it with a teaspoon of olive oil, lots of garlic, and red pepper flakes and then put the kale in the pan with all the water it's been washed in still clinging to it. Stir it around until it's wilted, put a lid on it and let it cook for a bit until it's done to your liking, adding more water if necessary. You can keep cooking if you like your kale tender. I serve it as a side dish with any protein.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Shred it up and put it on anything you eat.

It generally makes up about 1/3 the weight of any salad mix the wife and I toss up, too.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i recently heard that when you make pasta and you go to drain it, pour out the boiling water over the kale, and that that is sufficient to cook it.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I make a soup with it. Vegetable broth, sausage, kale, brown rice and shredded carrot. Mmm.
  • natfunk
    natfunk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Put it in a whey protein shake. It's good! Kale goes with so many things.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    stir fry with spring onions and bacon and garlic and chilli
    That sounds amazing! - thanks for the idea!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have made kale chips in oven. Just little olive oil and seasoning to taste. Bake at 425 for just a few minutes until crispy. They are yummy have a crunch like chips.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Saute it in butter or oil and a little garlic.
    Add it to soups
    Use it in place of lettuce on sandwiches
    Use it in salads
    Add it to pasta sauce
    Add it to omelets or quiche
    Add it to casseroles
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I also make a soup- chicken/chicken broth, kale, rotel (spicy hot tomatoes), your choice of beans and brown rice.

I also sautee it. It's really yummy when I sautee it in olive oil, garlic, onion, bell pepper, red pepper flakes and mushrooms!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    BTW, my teammate is vegan and her mother gave her a bumper sticker that reads,

"Kale yeah, I'm vegan". Corny, but cute.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Put in in a salad or smoothie
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just nabbed a luxurious kale leaf from the office snack platter to take home. Too often they are thrown out as garnish.

Two summers ago I grew too much kale in my community garden so I became a bit of an expert. As fitfroglet offered, you can use kale any place you would use spinach. Kale is a bit sturdier.

Here's my most recent favourite,
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463844222322/

Chop it fine and parboil it. I did this, froze portions in my muffin trays, and had kale available for cooking through the winter.

This last summer I grew too much buttercrunch lettuce. God, those salads were good.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Mashed sweet potato with kale.
  • hotcoffee692
    hotcoffee692 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Saute with a little olive oil and chopped garlic and sprinkle a little sherry vinegar on it.