How to cook scallops

Options
I love scallops but I always fry them in butter and I am trying to make healthier choices. What's another way to do them which is equally tasty but less unhealthy?

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i just made scallops the other night.. i used 1 tbsp nonsalted butter, 1 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice and minced garlic to pan fry them
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why is it unhealthy with butter? Not like they absorb a ton of it
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    batter in zatarans. Deep fry in the oil of your choice.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with butter. That's the best way I know how to cook them, unless you are using them in a stew like cioppino.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Butter is better than using something artificial. Or put them on skewers and grill them with some garlic salt on them. One tsp of butter isn't too bad. Olive oil might be better since it's a good kind of fat. Or use Pam. I've done that as well.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    salt them lightly on the outside, let them sit for 3-5 minutes. wipe dry with a paper towel.

Using a hot pan, add in olive oil, or butter and olive oil mix (to prevent butter from burning.)

Sear quickly on both sides, middle should still be cool to touch. Eat. It doesn't take a lot of oil, and since the heat is so fast, there is little oil uptake from the scallops as well.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    if you don't want butter you don't want butter. I understand. However, scallops is the only time I use butter believe it or not.
    So just salt and pepper, fry on high heat in avocado oil or another oil that stands up to high heat (not olive oil, breaks down), you can add a little truffle oil if you have it, handy to have around.
    Scallops have such a wonderful flavor they only 'need' salt and pepper to bring the flavor out. (but i add butter) :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use avocado oil, it breaks down and tastes like a dog's starfish.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I like searing or poaching them, and just log the oil or butter. Sometimes I add salt and pepper and stick them on an electric grill, or put them in the steamer basket when steaming veggies and add butter or seasoning to them after they steam.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Gotta say, i just use butter. I suppose you could steam them in broth or water in a covered pan, though.

But i love them in butter. :D

• Bubble_Cloud
    Options
    Thanks guys, guess I'll just use butter then! The only thing was I didn't want to buy a block of butter because then I'll feel like I have to use it all up but I could just donate it to my flatmates after.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil. Shelf stable, plant fat, not as easy to burn.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Butter freezes well. Buy some, cut it up, freeze, take out as needed.