Just hit your macros.

Options
Well technically you could do well just hitting your macros, but this post goes beyond that a bit. We posted this on our Eat Train Progress facebook group today but I wanted to add it here in case it helps a few people.

Tracking calorie and macronutrient intake is a fabulous tool that works quite well for some people. Since you're reading this on MyFitnesspal it follows that most of you are likely tracking intake.

Tracking is a great awareness tool but I do think it's important to not let tracking become the only tool that you use to regulate food intake. In my opinion, both for myself and for my online clients, building and/or establishing habits that are in alignment with your food intake is a great plan. Fortunately it's something that you can do WHILE you are tracking intake -- it's not an either/or scenario where you can EITHER track intake OR work on habits.

There's several habits that I think can be helpful and there's also plenty of context dependent ones that aren't going to be universally applicable. But some that I think are worth exploring would be regularity with fruit and fibrous vegetable intake, ensuring adequate protein intake both in terms of total daily intake but also establishing some regularity with protein feedings strictly for satiety purposes, limiting/monitoring discretionary calories to find the right balance of junk food without going overboard and yet also without entirely eliminating these foods, and I also find great value in managing food environment.

Certainly there's many other habits and the intent of this post isn't to list them all (not sure that's even possible given individual variability), moreover it's to bring about the concept.

Track intake to build awareness. Keep tracking if it's a good method for you by all means. But don't neglect to establish good food habits that make the process of hitting those nutrient targets easier. In many cases those habits can allow you to not track (should you choose to take a break from it or use habitual methods in the future) and in many cases you'll have a much easier time executing the plan.

That's my opinion on this for now anyways.

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. It's all about changing our relationship with food. If we learn good habits, tracking isn't necessary. I've been maintaining for a long time without tracking and I eat out a lot. I don't want to track for the rest of my life nor is it necessary. I also don't want to always think about everything I put in my mouth in terms of calories. I focus more on a way of eating which allows me to eat out often, indulge when i want.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great post as always SS.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I am just back from my six month post-surgery appointment with my dietitian. I have good news all around on my progress. One challenge for for post-surgery bariatric patients is getting enough protein. I am easily hitting all my targets. I credit my diabetic training (which I take seriously), to always include protein in my meals and snacks. If protein is always there, I will always hit the target. Easy peasy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Wow. After four hours I'm surprised this great post hasn't gotten more replies.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I lurve this post
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Good post.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Wow. After four hours I'm surprised this great post hasn't gotten more replies.

Maybe because it takes four hours to read it.
  • whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Spot on post.

Many people seem to be so fixated on the tracking element that they lose sight of what good habit forming can do for you in the long run. The way I look at it, tracking is the best route towards successful habit forming (for me at least).

If I track 3 meals a day, with a snack, the likelihood is I will be more used to sticking to this . That's a good habit.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    So, track your calories and macros but also eat good?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have half an eye on macros, but mainly on calories .. as long as my protein is busting through the 100g I feel fine about it all - the percentages meh, not so bothered

I know you're right - but I'm not there and don't think I'll ever be really

I've formed the good habits though I think

we'll see
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Intelligent. Knowledgable. Appreciable lack of sarcasm.
    Thank you, SS. I hope this post reaches the new guys. There are people here who just wish to help.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Great post - I have an idea perhaps MFP can give you a star or something for any fruit and veg you are eating - sounds perhaps childish but would look nice in your diary ...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Awesome as usual SS!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great post. I hope you don't mind if I quote you when the "macros vs healthy food" arguments come up (over and over, lol). I try to eat mostly nutrient dense "healthy" foods, splurge occasionally, but still mind my macros and I don't find the concepts hard to reconcile at all.

Eat, Train, Progress was one of the first groups I joined on MFP, and it's helped me immensely. Thanks to both you and Sarah for being awesome!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Thanks for the great post. I hope you don't mind if I quote you when the "macros vs healthy food" arguments come up (over and over, lol). I try to eat mostly nutrient dense "healthy" foods, splurge occasionally, but still mind my macros and I don't find the concepts hard to reconcile at all.

Eat, Train, Progress was one of the first groups I joined on MFP, and it's helped me immensely. Thanks to both you and Sarah for being awesome!

Not hard at all to reconcile. Well put.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    This is a great post.

I personally found it really clicked when I started focusing on macros (+ fiber). Mentally, it meant I was "eating up" to meet my protein, fat and fiber targets, rather than "eating down" to a calorie target. I was adding healthy things into my diet, rather than taking away calories. It also makes the whole logging process more interesting IMO.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

In a way, yes. OP said: "Track intake to build awareness." I will add "Track intake (log here or wherever) to build awareness - NOT for dependency." Use tracking as a tool to teach yourself what foods fit your macros, proper portion sizes, and correct calorie intake. If you learn from it you don't necessarily HAVE to track forever.

I think this is important for everyone to know, particularly because I've seen many threads with the topic: "Am I going to have to log forever?!" No, not if you learn from tracking and teach yourself proper intake.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I hear you. I am just back from my six month post-surgery appointment with my dietitian. I have good news all around on my progress. One challenge for for post-surgery bariatric patients is getting enough protein. I am easily hitting all my targets. I credit my diabetic training (which I take seriously), to always include protein in my meals and snacks. If protein is always there, I will always hit the target. Easy peasy.

Awesome! Glad your 6 month check-up went well. You are a very smart, determined person and as asset to these forums!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Yes but it goes beyond that unless "eat good" encompasses a huge variety of food related habits.

So for example one thing I would have people do would be to pay attention to the general structure/composition of their meals. Are you eating a mixed meal with adequate protein, enough food volume per calorie, an appropriate amount of fat intake for satiety but not so much that you're blasting through your calorie intake?

I would have people pay attention to whether they prefer a bit more carbs and less fat, or less carbs and more fat and how that impacts adherence and satiety and I'd structure food choices to align with that.

I'd have people pay attention to meal size and meal frequency and meal composition with respect to satiety to get some sort of regularity going with meal habits (note -- I'm not suggesting people need to all have the same frequency, I'm suggesting that some people do much better with fewer, larger meals and some people do better snacking). So I'd recommend diligently observing this relationship and trying to optimize it.

I'd have people utilize environmental strategies with food placement to reduce cravings and mindless eating.

There's all kinds of other behaviors and habits too.

So yes I think people also need to "eat good" but there are other food related behaviors that will vary from person to person but that will also impact satiety and adherence and make the process of maintaining a given calorie intake easier, when you discover how to optimize those variables to suit your preferences.