Weights or Fitbit type thing

My current exercise is walking the dog a few miles everday plus a outdoor military style bootcamp workout 3-4 days a week. I currently do not track any exercise on MFP as the walking I've always done and I probably spend half of the time doing a leisurely stroll with other dog walkers. The bootcamp would be close to impossible to calculate the calories burned as it is completely different everytime. Some days you will be doing laps of the field or others sat on your bum doing crunches/sit ups/planks most of the session. It is completely random. E.g last night we had to hold a squat position for a minute then sprint then return into the squat position. I was thinking of getting a fancy dancy gizmo to count how many calories I'm burning as currently I eat half a serving of porridge (which I don't add to my diary either) before I go and take a banana for after in case I'm hungry but I don't have a clue if I'm eating back the calories plus more.

I am also thinking about investing in some weights to do some weight training in between sessions. Gym membership is not an option as I didn't enjoy it before, let alone in January when it will be rammed. I also need someone to shout at me as I would not push myself and that is a bit inappropriate for the gym!

The dilemma I'm in is that I can't afford both straight away (very tight budget due to saving up for a house within the UK housing market...). The other I would buy at the beginning of summer. What would be the best one to buy first to help me reach my goal? Or more beneficial for me right now?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    What are your health/fitness goals?

If your main goal is weight loss, for a start, track all your food/drink calories - MFP doesn't cost anything and it's pointless spending money on a device to tell you what you're burning if you don't know what you're consuming.

You could also try body weight exercise at home - this again will cost you nothing. There are lots of free workouts to watch online - try FItness Blender.

If you'd really like to buy Fitbit and/or weights, if you are more likely to commit to a weight training regime then buy weights, if you think you'd prefer to do more walking/running type exercise then buy a Fitbit.

Also bear in mind that if you're planning on moving house soon, a Fitbit will be easier to transport than a set of weights :wink:
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    It seems to me that you would probably benefit from something like the vivofit which can be connected to a heart rate monitor. This would give you a more accurate calorie burn for your boot camp sessions and it would count your steps on your long walks.

I am a big advocate for lifting heavy but buying a full set of weights would probably take more $$$ up front then just adding the device to what you are already doing.