College: Recipies for the Microwave!

Options
I am a freshman at Chico State and live in the dorms. I have a fridge and a microwave to make my own healthy food, unless I want to eat at the buffet for all three courses in the day. Does anyone know of any recipes that require only those two things? I know it is hard to make a healthy meal with just a mircowave, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Thanks,
Kristina

Replies

• tinanicole
    Options
    I am a freshman at Chico State and live in the dorms. I have a fridge and a microwave to make my own healthy food, unless I want to eat at the buffet for all three courses in the day. Does anyone know of any recipes that require only those two things? I know it is hard to make a healthy meal with just a mircowave, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Kristina
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Wow, good question! :noway:

I think a small electric skillet would only set you back about $15. If you could get one of those then you could at least brown some ground turkey. Then you could at least make a wrap or a omelette.

Does your little fridge have a freezer??

Oh...and go ahead and send me your beer. I'll take good care of it. :bigsmile:
  • ponyskates
    Options
    I'm going to bump this because I also want some easy recipes while I'm stuck in my art classes at college.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Ha, I'm good at this. Here are some ideas for different meals. Add fresh toppings and/or veges after the cooking is done:

-Baked potato (poke holes in it and rotate it every few minutes to cook it evenly)
    -Refried bean burrito on whole wheat tortilla (cook the beans seperately first, and make sure to cover the container they are in with a damp paper towel or they will explode all over!)
    -Turkey wrap (turkey lunch meat, 1 oz of low fat cheese on a whole wheat tortilla) cook for 30 seconds until cheese is melted. Add some mustard for extra kick!
    -Hungry Girl Fetticcini Girlfredo (if you havn't visited the Hungry Girl site, you must! It will give you a million low fat ideas that are super easy to make!)
    -Steamed broccoli and corrots with low fat cheese. (chop up the fresh veges and cook them in a container with a loosely fitting lid so they steam. Add the cheese during the last few seconds)
    -Sandwiches! Use lean meat like turkey, tuna, or ham, with lots of fresh veges on whole wheat! Condiments (except mayo) are all low cal, so have at it.
    -Salad with low cal dressing and lots of veges and canned meat like chicken or tuna. (You can also get cooked chicken pieces in the lunch meat section of your grocery store... they are kind of expensive, but really versitile. You can put it in burritos and wraps too!)
    -this is super tricky, but makes a yummy breakfast. Put two egg whites in a small bowl or mug. Set a frozen meatless sausage patty on top of the egg whites. Nuke for 30 seconds (covered with a damp paper towel). DO NOT cook the egg longer then 30 seconds at a time, or the egg will completely explode! Flip the egg and sausage around and cook for another 30 seconds. Repeat until cooked. Put egg and sausage in a whole wheat tortilla with low fat cheese and fresh salsa for an easy breakfast burrito.
  • lauraj828
    Options
    i'm a college student too, so i do A LOT of microwave cooking :smile:
    i'm a big fan of the packets of instant oatmeal. they come in a bunch of good flavors and keep you full for a while. if you do have a freezer, there are great frozen meals that are healthy and tasty. i really like amy's and kashi.
  • aubs057
    aubs057 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Tomato Soup!!! With saltine crackers :wink:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's nearby? If so, they have a plethora of great food, a lot of it ready to serve or heat-up-able in the microwave. Low fat cheese and wheat crackers or popcorn with barbecue sauce (instead of butter/salt!) is one of my favorite snacks.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Fast and easy, and the family loves it. It makes a lot though; we're a family of four.:happy:
    Microwave beef hash
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 egg, beaten
    1-8 oz can water chestnuts, chopped
    2 T. chopped green onion
    1 T. cornstarch
    1 T. shoyu
    1 t. minced ginger root
    1 t. sugar
    1 t. salt
    1 t. sesame oil
    In large bowl, combine all ingredients. Press mixture evenly into a 9 inch class pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap (I use a microwaveable casserole dish with glass cover). Rotating plate every 2 1/2 minutes, microwave on medium high power for 10 minutes (although most microwaves already do the rotate thing, so you don't have to worry). Let stand 10 minutes before serving. You can tell it's done if the meat mixture starts to pull away from the sides of the dish. And of course, if it's red, it's not done.:tongue: The green onion is kind of optional; just makes it look nicer. But the ginger is essential! It makes the meat moist and more flavorful. We eat it with rice (Asian style:bigsmile: )
  • tinanicole
    Options
    Those are some great ideas! Thank you...

And yes we have a freezer with our fridge.
    I wish a skillet was allowed in the dorms, but they do not allow anything like that due to the fire hazard. : [

Thanks for the advice guys
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Made these this AM for breakfast.... 2 minutes 30 seconds to finish...low cal (about 300) and low fat! Very filling too!

1 whole wheat english muffin (toasted or at least warmed in microwave for 10 seconds)
    1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites
    2 slices lowfat turkey bacon
    1 slice lowfat american cheese

Nuke the bacon between 2 paper towels for 1 min 30 seconds on high or until crispy.
    Spray a small microwave safe bowl with pam and nuke your egg in 30 second intervals until set in the center. Assemble your egg, cheese, bacon on your english muffin and viola.

You can also use a lowfat turkey sausage if you prefer. If you time it right, the egg and the muffin will melt the cheese perfectly.

Who needs mcdonalds when this is cheap, easy and tastier!!
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    Those steamer bags that Ziplock makes are amazing.

You can cook fresh or frozen vegetables in it, in the microwave.

You can make a baking potato in it too, but then it is really a steamed potato. It still takes great, especially with some salsa on it.

There are even directions on the bag for chicken, and fish, but I am a little nervous to make those things in the microwave.

Hope that helps.