How many calories should really consume?

Options
im a stay at home mom. Some days are busy and some are not....but I do go to the gym 6 days a week. I burn 800-1000 calories during my workouts which are about 1-1/12 hours. I'm 5"9 and weigh 205lbs. According to mfp, I should consume 1200 calories per day, but it just seems low considering I burn almost that amount in during one workout. I just want to be sure I'm staying healthy and not putting my body into starvation mode! Help!

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    how are you calculating the "burn" of calories...

by MFP... it says 1200... then you would also eat those 1000 calories putting you at 2200 per day... If that burn is correct... On a note - it probably isn't :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to give you a number of calories for weight loss without exercise and then you are expected to eat the calories you burn during your workouts. Due to estimation problems, many people say just eat back half, so you should be eating 1600-1700 calories on the days you workout and 1200 on your off day.
  • chelseymathers
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor during my workouts. Is there a more accurate way to find the amount of calories burned?
  • clambert1273
    Options
    not really... it isn't an exact science so its all guesstimation.. so I would really only "eat back" no more than 75% what your HRM shows you burned... so that would put you at around 1950 on workout days..

now me, I like simple so I use a different method which gives me a certain amount calories every day regardless if I work out :) I like simplicity lol
  • chelseymathers
    Options
    What method is that? I like simple haha
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    1200 is your base. You're supposed to eat your exercise calories on top of that (or, if you think they're high, eat 50-75% of them).
  • clambert1273
    Options
    What method is that? I like simple haha

search on here for TDEE ... I used to have it all bookmarked before the updates now I can't find anything lol

• chelseymathers
    Options
    Thank you so much. I've only been consuming 1200 this whole last week. I've felt groggy and hungry.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Simplicity: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results

Based on 1-1/2 hours, 6 days a week, select at least the "5-6 hours/strenuous" setting, choose 20% cut, see what calories it says, and eat that. Every day, even on rest day. For every 10 pounds lost, recalculate. Simples.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    yeah.. remember that feeling.. IT's BAD lol eat enough to fuel what you do.. always.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess that you went with a very aggressive goal of 2 pounds per week and said that you're sedentary. While some days are more active than others, I'd think a setting of lightly active would be more appropriate for you. I'd also suggest setting your weight loss goal to 1 or 1 1/2 pounds per week.

Next, as others have mentioned, on MFP you're supposed to log your exercise and then eat back at least half of the calories earned. When MFP calculates your daily calorie goal, it does not take into account the exercise you said you're going to do. It only gives you those calories once you've done the actual activity. (If you think about it, this makes sense as some people set aggressive goals and then don't follow through. Better to go by actual info, not assumed info.)

While HRMs (heart rate monitors) can be a good tool, they're not 100% accurate and not intended to be used for all types of activity so there could be some miscalculation. You need to eat back some calories in order to provide fuel for the extra activity but also be careful about overestimates. That's why eating back at least half is a safe bet.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • clambert1273
    Options

Based on 1-1/2 hours, 6 days a week, select at least the "5-6 hours/strenuous" setting, choose 20% cut, see what calories it says, and eat that. Every day, even on rest day. For every 10 pounds lost, recalculate. Simples.

THANK YOU! LOL ...
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The MFP calculator supposedly calculates you Total Daily Energy Expenditure, TDEE. The TDEE accounts for some of your daily activities. I ran it with the numbers you supplied, at a 1 pound weight loss per week, and it said around 1600 calories.

Check it against the calculator at this location:
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

And starvation mode only occurs in extreme situations and takes a while. Just eating less for a week does not kick it in.

• ambradf
    ambradf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a BMR tool in the Reports/Apps section of Fitness Pal that you can put your personal information and it will determine your caloric intake.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what are you doing that you are burning 800-1000 calories per 60-90 minute workout? are you training for an Iron Man?
  • rebetha82
    rebetha82 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Thank you for this link. It's awesome!
  • chelseymathers
    Options
    When I first entered my info, I selected the 1-1 1/2lb weightloss per week and put lightly active but thanks for the advice. I would rather lose weight the healthy way :)
  • clambert1273
    Options
    When I first entered my info, I selected the 1-1 1/2lb weightloss per week and put lightly active but thanks for the advice. I would rather lose weight the healthy way :)

You will be just fine :) got some links ;)
  • chelseymathers
    Options
    After I just entered my info on the Tdee link, it said I should consume 2329. That seems high? Which should I use? Sorry, I'm just confused and want to be sure I'm doing things "the right way"
  • chelseymathers
    Options
    ukaryote wrote: »
    The MFP calculator supposedly calculates you Total Daily Energy Expenditure, TDEE. The TDEE accounts for some of your daily activities. I ran it with the numbers you supplied, at a 1 pound weight loss per week, and it said around 1600 calories.

Check it against the calculator at this location:
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

And starvation mode only occurs in extreme situations and takes a while. Just eating less for a week does not kick it in.

Thank you!!! I am going to go with this one 1600 per day. This would be all days correct? Even the day I don't work out?