Being sore after exercise

Options
oinkyoinkerer
oinkyoinkerer Posts: 13
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
I went to the gym yesterday and worked out for an hour while my dad was working out. This is the first time I've worked out apart from walk around the neighbourhood and today I'm so sore that I am struggling to sit, walk up or down the stairs or bend down. I'm not working out today but tomorrow am I all good to just exercise through the pain? Is that what I am meant to do? I can't believe how sore I am, it's ridiculous haha

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be fine to workout tomorrow.
  • Ishtancon
    Ishtancon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes. in most cases it is good to push thru soreness due to a strong work out after a day of recovery. Take some Advil and keep working :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You may have DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness, which occurs when the muscle is performing a lengthening contraction. The mild muscle strain injury creates microscopic damage to the muscle fibers. Scientists believe this damage, coupled with the inflammation that accompanies these tears, causes the pain.

The aches and pains should be minor, and are usually indications that muscles are adapting to your fitness regimen.

If you are in severe pain, you overworked yourself and should wait a day before trying again.
  • oinkyoinkerer
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am really unfit so think I just shocked my body. I am going to go to the gym but I think treadmill will be the main thing, I don't think I will be able to do strength training as well unless I'm feeling dramatically better but I will do that the following day. What else could I do at the gym that isn't pushy/pulling weights?. Thanks
  • alisupercali
    alisupercali Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal to have sore muscles when you're starting to exercise, or starting something new - as long as it's not a sharp pain, you don't have anything to worry about. Keep pushing, give yourself rest days and it will hurt less and less! Make sure you're not skipping your warm up and cool down, as well. You can ask a staff member in the gym to help you make sure you're stretching properly.
  • estela715
    estela715 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Totally normal! Had the same thing happen to me. Could barely lift a cup. I worked out anyway and stuck to my program, occasionally doing the low intensity version. 6 days later I was no longer that sore and 10 days later I had to work really hard to get sore!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Second day after a major change in exercise is always the worst. Work out as normal, but warm up well beforehand. Trust me, you'll adapt quickly.
  • oinkyoinkerer
    Options
    I got a programme together with a personal trainer :-) I do my warm up and warm down on the treadmill or Crosstrainer. I wasn't given any stretches though?
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/stretching/starting-a-stretch-routine-for-beginners.html

Give these a go. They'll be tough going if you're sore but try to loosen up those muscles a bit ahead of another gym session. Oh and keep at it, it gets easier with time and the more you work out the less time the pain lasts for after :)
  • oinkyoinkerer
    Options
    Thank you everyone and thanks for the link Steph will absolutely do it! I know I can cause as sore as I am I still managed to walk around the shopping mall to shop so then I can bloody well exercise haha
    I actually felt better after walking around and things started to loosen up than when I sit for awhile and everything gets tight :-(
    I am nervous of the pain, I feel like my legs are going to give way under me sometimes but they haven't yet and only get better so I will get over it :-)
    I've got dads gym card all ready to go for the morning.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    did you warm up before your workout? Did you cool down and stretch properly after doing it?

or did you go in cold and leave buzzing?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm usually the sorest 2-3 days after a work out. So, if you're really sore day 1, I wouldn't make plans just yet. Walking always helps no matter how sore you are.

If you are incline to supplements an L-glutamine supplement always helps me. They are cheep at your local store.

If you are going to make a habit of working out, you may want to look in to something like monster amino. No cals (10) and lots of muscle rebuilding amino acids. Of course, don't forget the water.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Try foam rolling if your gym has foam rollers. I bought one for at home as well. Can be a bit painful if you're experiencing DOMS, but helps afterward so much. Make sure to warm up properly before your next workout. I do a RAMP-type warm up, which you can google.

You can also try an active recovery type workout if you're still very very sore tomorrow (foam rolling is considered active recovery), but something simple like walking would do just fine. Yoga might also be a good choice.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    Exercise can often help with DOMS. I would do your workout, but reduce the intensity. The mistake many people make when they have bad DOMS is to not workout again until the soreness is gone, often not really doing anything. Then they go workout as hard as they did the last time which caused the pain, and end up just as sore because the body has pretty much gotten back to where is was before the first workout. When one does that, they end up being sore all the time rather than in 10 days or so finding that there is only DOMS if they workout really hard.
  • tinbru
    tinbru Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for 8 years now and I hardly ever get sore anymore and tbh kinda miss it:P just warm up before you lift and stretch after you're done should be good... gl
  • lili61
    Options
    tinbru wrote: »
    I've been working out for 8 years now and I hardly ever get sore anymore and tbh kinda miss it:P just warm up before you lift and stretch after you're done should be good... gl

Sounds like you need to change up your workout routine every once in a while. All fitness levels are capable of getting sore from a workout!

• yoovie
    Options
    but getting sore isn't the point. there's no reason to aim for sore :)

aim for capable is better. once you're capable, aim for something you cant do yet, or can barely do.

but pain or soreness isn't a proper indicator of a good workout.

:)
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    I always heard if your sore then it means it's working...Today is day 3 of workout and my legs muscles are really tight but im going for it anyway..
  • lili61
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    but getting sore isn't the point. there's no reason to aim for sore :)

aim for capable is better. once you're capable, aim for something you cant do yet, or can barely do.

but pain or soreness isn't a proper indicator of a good workout.

:)

No, I totally agree--being sore certainly isn't necessary, and I typically only get sore when I change up my routine. I just can't imagine NEVER getting sore because I'd be bored out of my mind. But to each their own!
  • yoovie
    Options
    OH YEAH THAT I GET.

im that way about feeling my muscles super tight the day after and I just cannot stretch ENOUGH. i just want more and more. takes forever to get out of bed day after squat day, i just stretch in bed til Im two inches taller.
This discussion has been closed.