Any reformed smokers?

Options

Replies

• vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know how tough it can be. I always worked out but after quitting(10yrs ago) I was able to workout so much harder and felt so much stronger. You can offset any slight lowering in metabolism with slightly harder workouts. I had been concerned about weight gain but it was general overeating that kept the weight on, no change from before or after quitting.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i stopped smoking years ago, and didnt gain.

I just didn't give in to my feeling of having something to eat instead.
    So yes you will gain weight when you eat more calories than you burn
    And no, when you eat normal or even in deficit.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I quit 11 years ago. The Alan Carr book was a big help.

Around 25% of quitters actually lose weight. I don't think I gained anything meaningful. Even if I'd gained 50 lbs. it would've been worth it to it have that monkey off my back. It's the worst. Weight can be lost.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I quit almost 4 years ago (wow doesn't seem that long). I was already gaining when I quit. I had switched to a sit down job with insane hours ( we were starting our own business). I didn't do much more than work and sleep for over a year. For me I highly doubt quitting made a bit of difference.

Having said that is you replace the hand to mouth habit with eating you will. That's where the difference is made. If you eat to much or (like me) exercise too little then ylou will gain weight.
  • julzwild
    julzwild Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I quit last March and I gained about 15 pounds in a 5 month period. I was one of the unlucky ones that got insatiable hunger as a result of quitting. Smoking speeds you up because it's a stimulant which can have a mild appetite suppressant quality. I never realized that was the case until I quit. I was starving an hour after eating a large meal. I mean STARVING empty belly churning hunger. It was awful. It eventually passed and I balanced out. I took those 15 off very rapidly once I set my mind to it. Keep up the great work. Your lung capacity during cardio will be a big reward for your efforts!
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 3 years and 2 months ago. I felt like utter crap for the first 3 days, almost like I was in a dream world that was foggy. Once the nicotine is out of your system (3 days) its all willpower. Day 30, I almost gave in and had an internal battle with myself, and by day 31, I was completely over smoking and have not wanted a cig since. I found the hardest times during the first year was every season change. As long as you don't replace cigs with food you will be fine, and if you do want to eat, then eat celery or carrot sticks, or chug a bunch of water (which will help cleanse your system). I have gained a whole bunch of weight through bad habits, knee surgeries and lack of exercise, not by quitting smoking. I think its an easy excuse for people to say that they will gain weight by quitting smoking, because it allows them to replace one bad habit for another more "acceptable" one.

Also, I thought it was helpful the first couple days to pretend to smoke a straw, its a lot of the habit of hand to mouth that you are addicted to as well. I found that brushing my teeth during a craving was also helpful. Good luck to you. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • FLAKMA
    FLAKMA Posts: 14
    Options
    I was a 2 pack a day smoker. Quit 6 months ago with chantix. If you have never tried it chantix, it was a great tool to help me quit. I tried vaping but I didn't care too much for it.
  • hoping2succeed
    Options
    I quit smoking on August 23rd of this last year and I didnt put on any weight. I had a lot of motivation and determination to quit. Working out helps keep me motivated and chewing sugar free gum helps as well. YOU CAN DO IT. Just don't give into the cravings. Cry if you need to.. walk it out.. drink lots of water, take deep breaths or a shower. IT can be done.

I smoked 3 packs a day and couldnt hardly do anything without gasping for air. I now walk between 2-4 miles a day and lift weights 3 times a week. I can mow the lawn and do housework ..

YOU will have cravings You will have temptations, just keep your mind focused and you can do it.

Add me if you like for support and good luck to you
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Next week will be my 2 year smoke free anniversary for me :):):)

I was successful going cold turkey. It really is as simple as not ever putting another one to your lips, no exceptions! NOT EASY....but simple. :)

I was a 20 year smoker at a pack per day. I was a runner, and regular bootcamp attendee. However, I quit in January so couldn't run outside, and the bootcamp that I was a member of went through some changes and I stopped going there while waiting for a kickboxing school to open up (which was delayed by months)....

SO....long story short, yes I gained some, but only because I was a very angry, moody woman who was eating sugar morning, noon, and night as a substitute and wasn't working out anymore. I don't really care though...I got back on track, am stronger than I've ever been, and my life is SO much easier now that I'm free of that crutch!!!

Do I miss it? Occasionally.....will I ever go back? NEVER! I feel so liberated now that it doesn't control my day :) Congrats! You can do this!!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I lost a ton of weight when I quit smoking (and I also stopped biting my fingernails for some reason.) I think it was simply a great exercise of willpower and really showed myself what I was capable of when I put my mind to it and everything just snowballed from there (in a good way.) Plus I loved that I was finally quitting smoking!

It all depends on how you look at it- if you feel like by quitting smoking you're being deprived, then you're going to seek out comfort elsewhere and be in a *kitten* mood, but if you feel like you're being empowered then only good things can come from it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I quit in Oct of 2013. I didn't gain any weight, because I knew I couldn't replace the oral fixation with food. I don't think weight gain and quitting have to go hand in hand. Just be mindful of the new habits you might create to replace the old!

You can do it!
  • ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I quit with Chantix 6 years ago and was done within 2 weeks of being on it. I can't say the first months are easy, but the biggest thing you can do is to find yourself something to fill that void with. Me, I took up reading among a number of other things. I didn't chose food or candy as it was just another addiction I didn't want, nor the cavities from all the extra sugar.

I don't crave anymore, in fact I find smoke very sickening to the senses, and I have family I visit that smokes. I gained about 5lbs a year which put on my weight that I lost this past year when I realized I was almost 200 lbs. One reason for this is that food just started tasting better, and I also lost my satisfaction/ stress reliever of smoking. Time will pass, depending on each individual, at different rates. So, if you are already in an exercise routine and done with smoking, you may not even notice a difference.

The health benefits are better being off of them, than the weight gain, which I think was easier to contend with getting rid of.

Good luck!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    3 years ago (Nov 2011) after smoking near 3 decades.

LOST 36 pounds in the first 6 months. Started training to run marathons, and 70 - mile weeks can tend to suck the fat right off ya in a hurry.

Gaining weight is not a consequence of quitting smoking. Gaining weight is a direct result of overeating. Don't overeat and you will be fine. Just fine.

• warlesha
    warlesha Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Quit 23 days ago, after I had started working out regularly. I'm using apps, blogs, and I get texts to motivate me. Right now, I could care less if I gained a few pounds as I feel great and I've been using small suckers dum, dums to get over cravings and now have switched to cutie clementines for more natural sugars and nutrients.

Hang in there!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends. My husband and I both quit in February 2012. I don't think I gained any weight because of it. I found out I was pregnant 2 months later (got pregnant the week I quit but didn't know) and gained a very appropriate 30 lbs during pregnancy which mostly came off after birth. My husband on the other hand gained quite a bit of weight.... he is about 40 lbs heavier than he was when he quit. He is still carrying that extra weight around however. He isn't a fan of tracking food and such though.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I quit in July of this year (cold turkey) and haven't gained a pound. Chew gum and use stir sticks, if you need to.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    OK so I quit 2 weeks ago today and gained almost 2 pounds even though my eating hasn't changed one single bit :( I'm hoping it'll level off somehow but I'm really upset. :'(
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Gaining two lbs is better than two weeks of cigarette smoking. :smiley: Keep up the good work, your body is going through some major adjustments right now.

quitsmokingsupport.com/benefits.htm

Congrats on 2 weeks!
  • fdfallie
    fdfallie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I quit in August 2014 and put on 10lbs, mostly because everything tasted delicious. I've been steadily hitting the gym since November and lost that weight. The key (for me) was to keep my brain busy (boredom = smoking), drink lots of peppermint tea and water and keep an eye on what I was eating. You'll do great. Don't beat yourself up if you put on some pounds. Get through the first three months and recognize what a beneficial thing you've just done for your body. :)
  • Crossfitjessi
    Options
    9 years! I only smoked for 2 years.