Almost 600lbs, only 30, I don't wanna die..

Options
Hi All! My name is Marie, I'm 30, 5'3", and pretty damn close to 600lbs. I bought a 550lb capacity scale off of this website called livingxl.com and the last time I weighed myself was about 3 months ago. At the time I weighed in at 530lbs, but I KNOW I've gained weight since then. I can FEEL it. I've just been too scared to get back on for confirmation because I know I will cry. I feel so out of control. I'm currently a full time student, in the process of completing my externship 8-10 hours a day for medical billing and insurance coding. I don't collect disability, so the plan is to begin working full time once I complete my externs (which will be very soon).

I can't walk much, my legs and feet are very tightly swollen most of the time and due to the size of my lower stomach (belly apron) suffer from extreme lower back pain when standing for more than a few minutes at a time. I also injured my right knee a few months ago, which has yet to fully heal and has hindered my walking even further. I can't drive, because I don't fit behind the wheel of a car so to get around I have to use a disability bus service. I live with my grandmother, however she is very sick and according to her doctors doesn't have much time left which is a very heartbreaking thought for me. Though it is very painful for me, I still manage to do all the cooking and cleaning and changing of the cat liter that needs to be done in the house. I have to be there for her as she has been there for me, I only wish I could do more and am often frustrated that I am stuck within this body as it is my prison.

I have sleep apnea, mild high blood pressure, and suffer from anxiety and depression but so far have been lucky enough not to develop any other issues such as diabetes, heart issues, or high cholesterol which is common among most people whom are morbidly obese. I have state insurance, which covers basic medical visits but nothing else. I cannot afford nor do I qualify for weight loss surgery (I am too heavy). If I continue on the way that I am, I will die. I don't want to die. I need to help myself. I haven't even really started living yet. I've only been really loved once, I've never been married, I don't have children. I've never owned a home or car, I want to see Italy one day and fit comfortably in an airplane seat. I dream of this freedom. I dream of the freedom of being able to walk or run, or go out to a restaurant with friends without worrying about being judged or looked at or wondering if I'll fit in the seats, break a chair, or be in so much pain I can't enjoy myself. I am tired of feeling ashamed..I am tired of feeling like a monster.

I am missing out on so much, I have to try before it's too late. The road ahead of me is incredibly daunting, but I am forcing myself to only think of now..this moment. I need help, I need support, I need people to talk to whom can relate to me. I am willing to learn.

Thank you for reading my story.

Replies

• mysticalsunshine
    Options
    I can definitely relate to how you feel. I am 6' and 604 lbs. I am going down the path of weight loss surgery. I am in pain constantly. I have high blood pressure, Polycystic ovarian syndrome and was just told that I have Diabetes. I also have horrible anxiety and major depression. Why would you say that you wouldn't qualify for surgery? I have seen on Different shows people qualifying for surgery who are around 600 lbs. I get so frustrated with myself because I eat for comfort when I am stressed out which is a lot. I also always tend to turn to sweets when I am stressed out or upset. But I just wanted to let you know you are definitely not the only one feeling the way you do.
  • JLoRuthie
    JLoRuthie Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    There is an idea of "just one day". Make small changes/ choices that are good for you today. Don't worry about tomorrow, just today. Get up tomorrow and repeat. I understand and have been there how difficult and overwhelming it can be. This site is really helpful. Make connections with supportive people, log on often, read the boards. I always try to keep in mind that yes, it will take time to lose the weight but this time next year will come whether or not I lose the weight so I might as well do it. I have lost weight in spurts over the years and each time my new weight has become my high marker. Now, I am working to lose the rest. I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. That is really difficult. Feel free to add me as a supportive friend!
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am praying for you. My only advice? Make 1-2 SMALL changes, don't shock your body. Maybe cut down on (don't cut out) soda pops, and drink 12-13 cups of water per day. Don't overdo it yet!
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Agree with the advice of one day at a time and small changes - they all add up, and it's easier to focus one small goals rather than the long term end goals, which can seem far away and discouraging. Having said that, they ARE good for helping you make the small decisions - examples of things I do are ask myself what is more important right now, to eat X and enjoy for a few minutes or to fit into my jeans and feel good all day?it's all one choice, one decision at a time. remember your dreams and hopes for yourself - you are worthy of happiness and achieving those things so tell yourself that every day, and use it to help make the right choices. thing about what you'll enjoy more - the few moments of pleasure from a particular meal, or the lasting memories of a trip to italy? you can do this!
  • dtcjem
    dtcjem Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lots of advise on small changes. Have to agree 1000% there. I the hardest think is the first step and when I looked out too far I would become discouraged, scared and revert to my comfort. I changed my goal to achieving positive change TODAY. If I didn't achieve it TODAY, I would try again tomorrow. The changes add up and your confidence will as well.

We are all here to support you in the journey!
  • JBuchananon
    JBuchananon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend any kind of Bariatric Surgery, Diabetes and PCOS have been related to increase in blood glucose levels. Lower the amount of carbs you are consuming daily and see if that helps before you permanently ruin your body!!
  • kabickford67
    kabickford67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are loved.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The longest journey begins with a single step. You have just made that. You will have good days and an occasional bad one. What defines you is not the setbacks, but the fact that you keep going, never quit, never give up. YOU are more valuable than all the wealth in the world. YOU are worth the fight. I would be honored to be your friend!!
  • prattiger65
    Options
    OP has deactivated already.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    OP, if you ever come back and look at this, please send me a friend request.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend any kind of Bariatric Surgery, Diabetes and PCOS have been related to increase in blood glucose levels. Lower the amount of carbs you are consuming daily and see if that helps before you permanently ruin your body!!

You should really think about what you post. This was a stupid post in this situation.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Please do come back, Marie. I would be very happy to support you in your journey!
  • Arianemarie123
    Arianemarie123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you happen to come back, add me! I know how it feels to want to change and live healthier, it just takes some support and motivation. You can do this!
  • trajanAz
    trajanAz Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Marie, I think you're a heck of a lot stronger than you may give yourself credit for. You're facing a lot right now and are still going to school, handling some truly difficult responsibilities, completing an externship and are determined to work full time. I think that's impressive. Genuinely.

I've been over 600lbs myself so I know at least some of what you're feeling and I can assure you that it can and will get easier. Being open like this and asking for some support is an important first step.

There are many amazing and positive people here that would love to support you. I'm one of them. Losing over 300lbs seemed impossible, but in a blink of an eye almost a third of it is gone. Once you start logging and eating consistently I think it can be that way for you too.

There are many paths to get to where you want to be. Once you figure out what path you want to take lean on this community to help you get there. That's what we're here for. Good luck and stay strong.
  • trajanAz
    trajanAz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hope she's still reading even if she's deactivated. Come back, Marie. Let's all do this together!
  • Ms_Enzo1313
    Ms_Enzo1313 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes please come back! We have all had our ups and downs in our journey but we can all help each other out!
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This post broke my heart-Marie I am so sorry that you feel this way and especially sorry that you deactivated so quickly. There is help and there are many people on MFP that are helpers instead of haters. Send me a friend request if you want to come back-I will be supportive. Many well wishes and prayers are coming your way.