Warm meals/snacks without wheat or sugar

Options
FlannelMothman
FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
Hello!
Looking for warm meals (winterized!) and snacks that have no wheat nor sugar (not nessecarily Paleo)
I'm not a Celiac but I am being examined for a gluten intolerance, so as little wheat as possible.
I am aware of broths and of course, stirfrys and steamed veggies, but I mean small, quick fixes. (Under 10 mins or so/grab and go)

Or am I looking for a pipe dream? Hahaha

Replies

• lianaregan
    Options
    Something I love, but I'm not sure how weird it might sound, is a bag of steam fresh veggies with cheese... it takes like five minutes to microwave the veggies and then I usually stir about half the bag in with a laughing cow wedge. I will use other cheeses, or add spices, just to switch it up, but it makes a very satisfying low calorie dish that is hot and filling.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of options use corn tortillas for Mexican meals, veggies and cheese with nuts for added protein, if you want crispy chicken then cover with rice Chex, rice can be base with meat, spaghetti squash can be used for noodle meals, snacks can be nuts, rice chex mix, hot teas, I was celiac all my childhood and somehow managed to actually out grow what they say you can't but tests were done and no celiac just slight intolerance and bran is out. Cant explain but it became issue and gluten free for both pregnancies each time celiac tests were positive and 6 months after normal
    Good luck there are many new options take some extra time in store and also on line
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Curries are awesome for having handy and portioned up.

I also freakin love roasting whole potatoes, packing a bunch of tops, warm up in microwave, top with awesome, yum yum and so filling!
  • FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bumping for more suggestions!
    Essentially right now I'm living on meats and rice and beans. :(
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Quinoa (for breakfast or for main dish)...Quinoa is really versatile

You could also do a nice lentil soup with veggies and hot broth...mmmm. This is making me hungry.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    look at slow-cooker meals that you could pre-make. Some of the ones I've made take 10 min or less to make and yes, it takes some time to heat up (3-6 hours) but once they're cooked, its just a quick re-heat in the microwave to eat!

My boyfriend and I just made a Meatless Moussaka and it was delicious and sooo easy to make!

2-3 cups of tomato sauce mixed with 2 cans of lentils and 1/4 tsp of cinnamon layered in a slow cooker with sliced eggplant (1 large eggplants worth). Cook for 3 hours on high. Mix when done. Makes about 8 cups I think.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I assume you just mean no added sugar, correct? If so:

Snacks - fruit, veggie sticks and peanut butter or hummus, cheese, nuts, seeds, chips and salsa
    Meals - geez, almost anything homemade that doesn't include bread. You could even have pasta by using rice noodles. Stir fry, chili, soups, stews, steaks, chops, fish, seafood, beans and rice, quinoa, rice, kasha, vegetables.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Eggs maybe?
  • colejkeene
    colejkeene Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Popcorn is always one of my quickest go-tos. I get the dried kernels and either use 1 tsp oil or just air pop it on the stove in about 3 minutes.

Making your own trail mix from bulk containers at health food stores is another great way to get lasting filling snacking done.

Here is a recipe for my favorite snack (I make big batches and put it in single serve containers to grab and go):

Quinoa Tabbouleh

Ingredients

1 cup dried quinoa
    2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
    1 small seedless cucumber, chopped
    2 green onions, chopped
    1/2 lemon, juice
    1/4 cup fresh parlsey, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
    Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

Method

1. Cook quinoa in broth, then cook.
    2. Toss all ingredients together and refrigerate.
    3. Keep in airtight containers in the fridge up to 5 days.
    4. Heat it up in the winter or eat cool in the summer.

f8d48facac4b11e38790122646628a52_8.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I assume you are looking for carb replacements, comfort foods. Oatmeal and buckwheat come to mind. Buckwheat in soup can be lovely.